Player Discussion Kirby Dach: Welcome to Montreal part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Best part of the game was that beat down..............RHP had a great game too, but that beatdown Dach put on Copp surprised everyone!!
This kid has the potential to be a #1 Centre, and have Suzuki slide down......and 3 more years, at 3.3M !!

Dach is who we thought he was on draft day. We all remember how high most fans were on him.

Remember this quote "They are who we thought they were, and we let them off the hook" . Someone needs to change the words to.. Dach is who we thought he would be and the Blackhawks let him go :laugh:

giphy.gif

Reactions: BLONG7

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Dach is who we thought he was on draft day. We all remember how high most fans were on him.

Remember this quote "They are who we thought they were, and we let them off the hook" . Someone needs to change the words to.. Dach is who we thought he would be and the Blackhawks let him go :laugh:

giphy.gif
Hope someone posts the video of the Copp beatdown last night on the main board!!!!

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Hope someone posts the video of the Copp beatdown last night on the main board!!!!

I'm happy to see that the Habs are tracking to no longer be a soft team. We had half our roster as soft players for years and we wondered why we struggled. For the cup run, we didn't and the results showed. IMO, there are only a few spots for the smaller/soft/skilled types. Limit it to 2-3 up front and 1 or 2 on the back end.

This is why I am in no hurry to trade Anderson. Can be frustrating to watch but he provides value as a big boy that can skate. Anderson can fight too.

Dach, Xhekaj, Guhle, Anderson, and add Slaf. Hopefully what Dach is doing wears off on Slaf. These are important pieces and it's deeper than points. Add Dubois to this! :nod: with skilled guys like Suzuki and Caufield. Roy could be another gritty guy too.

We get lucky with Bedard? Well centers like Dach and Dubois help! No offense to Suzuki but he plays a different type of game.

Bruins have 3 players under 6'-0". 5 players under 190 lbs

Last edited:

Walrus26

Wearing a Habs Toque in England.
May 24, 2018
Peterborough, UK
I'm happy to see that the Habs are tracking to no longer be a soft team. We had half our roster as soft players for years and we wondered why we struggled. For the cup run, we didn't and the results showed. IMO, there are only a few spots for the smaller/soft/skilled types. Limit it to 2-3 up front and 1 or 2 on the back end.

This is why I am in no hurry to trade Anderson. Can be frustrating to watch but he provides value as a big boy that can skate. Anderson can fight too.

Dach, Xhekaj, Guhle, Anderson, and add Slaf. Hopefully what Dach is doing wears off on Slaf. These are important pieces and it's deeper than points. Add Dubois to this! :nod: with skilled guys like Suzuki and Caufield. Roy could be another gritty guy too.

We get lucky with Bedard? Well centers like Dach and Dubois help! No offense to Suzuki but he plays a different type of game.
Big boy hockey with pace and skill is my favourite sort of hockey to watch.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Repeating yourself with no evidence is not convincing. You repeat that Dach was rushed when obviously he was not.

What happened is that Chicago mis-evaluated Dach and "cut him loose".

Vegas mis-evaluated Suzuki and cut him loose too. I can play your game and say that had he been playing in Vegas, they would not have made that mistake, but he was too far away and not on their minds, etc.

But I won't try to shove every fact of every case into my narrative.

Vegas messed up, Chicago messed up.

To boot, Habs messed up with Sergachev, who was sent down at 18, and also with KK, who was not.
It’s evident that Chicago messed up Dach’s development. It couldn’t be more evident. He needed a change of scenery and Chicago felt they had exhausted their options with him. Good for us.

They traded Debrincat.......
All the more reason we shouldn’t replicate Chicago’s mistakes.

Reactions: sandviper

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Big boy hockey with pace and skill is my favourite sort of hockey to watch.

I was a good player with the guys I played with in my day. But I seen the impact a bigger dude can make if he can skate and has skill. They will win the puck possession battle which is very important.

It's not like we have to get rid of all smaller/soft/skilled types but we have to limit them. Caufield, Harris, Hutson, Farrell. No room for Kidney IMO. He's going to have to really turn the needle if he makes my roster down the road.

Bruins have 3 players under 6'-0". 5 players under 190 lbs. They have a clear strategy of skill, size, and skating and they limit smaller types. It's very effective.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Absolutely not. Dach is the perfect example of how a high draft pick with good skating and size can learn and progress in the NHL, and he did it DESPITE the injury he suffered while training for the WJC.

Suzuki was drafted at 13OA. Rarely do those mid-first round guys skip progressing in the CHL. Suzuki did not have the skating to start in the NHL right away.

Suzi also started in the NHL as a winger on the 4th line, despite "not being drafted for that role".

Oh, and by the way, Dach is probably not even close to finished developing. He should end up as way more than a 50 point player. How are Brady and Dahlen doing in their D+5? How about Dubois this year in his D+7?
And he did it despite not being kept on a line with Kane & DeBrincat…

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I was a good player with the guys I played with in my day. But I seen the impact a bigger dude can make if he can skate and has skill. They will win the puck possession battle which is very important.

It's not like we have to get rid of all smaller/soft/skilled types but we have to limit them. Caufield, Harris, Hutson, Farrell. No room for Kidney IMO. He's going to have to really turn the needle if he makes my roster down the road.

Bruins have 3 players under 6'-0". 5 players under 190 lbs. They have a clear strategy of skill, size, and skating and they limit smaller types. It's very effective.

I think this sums it up well. Im not at all opposed to small players. Hell, some smaller players are “tougher” than bigger players but facts are facts and 9/10 times, a 5’10 player goes for a puck battle against a 6’3 player, the larger player will win.

Ultimately, skill trumps all but you do need a mix. One thing I do like is our blueline is pretty massive, current and down the pipeline. Sure, Hutson is small, but its not like he’ll be alone on the ice.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Absolutely. Slaf will have to get that attitude. Less smile and more « in your face ».

I don't know if that is Slaf's game but he has the body to play that type of game. Needs to fill in a bit more so only time will tell.

Sometimes, there are light switches with players development. With Dach, it's a age 21/22 light switch and it's turned on! Hopefully for good.

Look at Dach's game. He's not looking for pass first all the time. He's able to carry the puck and he has his head up where he can recognize when to skate with it and when to pass it. Too many player are looking for obsessive passes because they either have lack of confidence with their shot or they can't maintain puck possession.

I think this sums it up well. Im not at all opposed to small players. Hell, some smaller players are “tougher” than bigger players but facts are facts and 9/10 times, a 5’10 player goes for a puck battle against a 6’3 player, the larger player will win.

Ultimately, skill trumps all but you do need a mix. One thing I do like is our blueline is pretty massive, current and down the pipeline. Sure, Hutson is small, but its not like he’ll be alone on the ice.

I look at the difference between Beck and Kidney. Beck is one year younger and 1" shorter but 14 lbs heavier. He's much stronger and the reason why he was on team Canada at age 18 and Kidney was not at age 19.

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
Hopefully Dach can remind Andersson how to be power forward because right now he's as useless as Benoit Pouliot. Big, powerful skater that serves no purpose.

rik schau

Peeping has perks. lol
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
Esti quier fort man c'est pas possible tbnk
And for those of us that don't have an Enigma machine it means what?lol.

Hopefully Dach can remind Andersson how to be power forward because right now he's as useless as Benoit Pouliot. Big, powerful skater that serves no purpose.
He's keeping healthy for a long playoff run in a different time zone.

Zilo44

Jul 4, 2012
What? Before he got suspended for a viscous hit on Letang he was hitting everyone in sight. Chara destroyed him and that was the end of the physical aspect of his game.

As for Dach, I was not a fan of his early this season because on most nights he looked disinterested but that has changed. He wants the puck now and his hitting when he needs to. The move back to center has been very promising. Good for him.
I agree, young Patches when paired up with Cole was hitting. But after the Chara incident, he was floating a lot

Reactions: OldCraig71

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
It’s evident that Chicago messed up Dach’s development. It couldn’t be more evident. He needed a change of scenery and Chicago felt they had exhausted their options with him. Good for us.
Sort of. Did Guy Lafleur's "development" suddenly get better in his 4th NHL season, or did he just finally blossom?

Was Scotty Bowman an idiot for 3 years, or did Lafleur have to figure out what works for him?

What I know is that Sam Pollock did not give up on Lafleur and trade him after three years, the third of which was the most disapppointing, whereas Chicago traded Dach at the worst time for them.

But whatever happened with Dach, you cannot say that because he got injured (in a WJC training camp!), and because Chicago did not use him the same way the Habs are, that he was "rushed".

Do you know that in his ROOKIE season, Dach had 6 points in 9 playoff games!!! The whole Chicago fanbase were so happy with him. He averaged 17 minutes per playoff game and was a +3. In what world is that evidence he did not belong?

Please just STOP saying Dach was rushed.

Last edited:

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Sort of. Did Guy Lafleur's "development" suddenly get better in his 4th NHL season, or did he just finally blossom?

Was Scotty Bowman an idiot for 3 years, or did Lafleur have to figure out what works for him?

What I know is that Sam Pollock did not give up on Lafleur and trade him after three years, the third of which was the most disapppointing, whereas Chicago traded Dach at the worst time for them.

But whatever happened with Dach, you cannot say that because he got injured (in a WJC training camp!), and because Chicago did not use him the same way we are, that he was "rushed".

Do you know that in his ROOKIE season, Dach had 6 points in 9 playoff games!!! The whole Chicago fanbase were so happy with him. He averaged 17 minutes per playoff game and was a +3. In what world is that evidence he did not belong?

Please just STOP saying Dach was rushed.
Lafleur is irrelevant to today’s discussion in multiple dimensions. No point wasting either of our breaths on this particular avenue.

Dach’s injury is also unrelated to my comment.

Plenty of very young players show promise in a flash in a pan and then return to a sub-NHL level of performance. It’s not rare.

Dach’s performance over his ELC and after his injury belies a player who needed to grow into his body. I do not think anybody could see the evidence (results, performance) and claim that he benefited from starting at age 18 in the NHL.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I’m happy with Dach and the acquisition so far and would be even more happy to see him further develop his abilities to impact the game.

I don’t think he should’ve been rushed to the NHL and the fact that his initial team cut him loose and traded him for a mid first round pick is a problem for those who want to rush every prospect.

In any case if you want to litigate Slafkovsky we can discuss it there. No need to bicker here — we should all be satisfied with the trade and his contract. It’s good value for a very young 50pt player with size and good upside.
Asking you to stop saying Dach was rushed is not litigating Slafkovsky.

This thread is the right place to talk about Dach.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Asking you to stop saying Dach was rushed is not litigating Slafkovsky.

This thread is the right place to talk about Dach.
The criticism and analysis Chicago fans had for Dach’s develop is available for your reference. The strengths he demonstrates today don’t appear in their own reviews of his development — he wasn’t on the right track with them. He hadn’t appropriately developed in the NHL with the Hawks.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Lafleur is irrelevant to today’s discussion in multiple dimensions. No point wasting either of our breaths on this particular avenue.

Dach’s injury is also unrelated to my comment.

Plenty of very young players show promise in a flash in a pan and then return to a sub-NHL level of performance. It’s not rare.

Dach’s performance over his ELC and after his injury belies a player who needed to grow into his body. I do not think anybody could see the evidence (results, performance) and claim that he benefited from starting at age 18 in the NHL.
Please take off the blinders.

A guy who is trusted to play 17 minutes per playoff game and puts up 6 points in 9 games while being +3 is not a flash in a pan. Just admit he belonged in the NHL. The longer you don't admit it, the worse it looks for you.

The injury in his sophomore season held him back, his coaches then gave him a smaller role leading to less points, but clearly he still learned on the job, because he is playing just fine here.

Lafleur per se is not relevant, but the GM's handling of his first three years versus how Chicago handled Dach this past summer Is relevant. You said that because Chicago cut Dach loose it "proves" he was "rushed".

That statement is wrong on at least three levels. You know, you can admit it is wrong and still make your case that Slafkovsky was not ready. Your acknowledgment on Dach will not be held against you elsewhere.

The criticism and analysis Chicago fans had for Dach’s develop is available for your reference. The strengths he demonstrates today don’t appear in their own reviews of his development — he wasn’t on the right track with them. He hadn’t appropriately developed in the NHL with the Hawks.
Dach obviously learned. however, he did not produce points as expected in years 2 and especially 3.

The problem might have been the Hawks, not the league he was in.

Reactions: nicehiss and 417

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad