Player Discussion Kirby Dach: Welcome to Montreal part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
So I will be up front and admit I was one of the people ragging on Dach for his lack of physical assertiveness. I knew he wasn't really a physical player, but I recall during the preseason and early in the year, he was getting pushed around quite a bit. People were taking liberties with him and he was letting it happen.

I started noticing his physicality when he was stripping the puck off everyone. But the more the season goes on, the more this guy is starting to play with an edge.

I was bummed when Guhle, Slaf and Caufield were hurt. But Dach has been a bright spot this season, one of the only ones left. Lately the only reason I am tuning in.
I feel the same way. At first, I worried he would bring his Chicago softness with him and at first he did seem tentative, he’s gotten more involved as the season has wore on, I wasn’t overly crazy about the trade in the beginning, but it is starting to wear on me.

I was big fan of Romanov and didn’t see left d as a strength like some said. We had some really inexperienced depth there that we were all hopeful about, but we weren’t really strong there imo. The kids are ready though, so I support the move now. This was a trade I was meh about that I am really liking now.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Hopefully you learned a thing when it comes to big guys trying to figure out the league and filling their bodies.
I’ve observed two things:

1) Big guys also shouldn’t be rushed to the NHL

2) If they’re rushed they seem to get stuck in the same pattern of play and only put it back together after they’re traded.

I didn’t watch CHI so can’t pledge to know what went wrong with Dach but the criticisms CHI commentators had against him (before the trade, when they still wanted his success) didn’t reflect who he’s been playing as the last few months — his career trajectory certainly changed.

If you want to extrapolate this case toward another player, be my guest — it doesn’t seem very rewarding for the team that drafted and rushed the big body player only to have to trade him for under value.

And this doesn’t take into account the inherent strengths and weaknesses of a player — Dach had good playmaker pedigree, it’s the physical game he’s seemingly grown to embrace against expectations.

Last edited:

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
I’ve observed two things:

1) Big guys especially shouldn’t be rushed to the NHL

2) If they’re rushed they seem to get stuck in the same pattern of play and only put it back together after they’re traded.

I didn’t watch CHI so can’t pledge to know what went wrong with Dach but the criticisms CHI commentators had against him didn’t reflect who he’s been playing as the last few months — his career trajectory certainly changed.

If you want to extrapolate this case toward another player, be my guest — it doesn’t seem very rewarding for the team that drafted and rushed the big body player only to have to trade him for under value.
Nobody should be rushed to the NHL, big or small. You just hate that one particular player which I will not name.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Nobody should be rushed to the NHL, big or small. You just hate that one particular player which I will not name.
Only exceptional 18 year olds should play in the NHL. Chicago won’t make the same mistake as they made with Dach.

Beendair Donedat

Juice Arse 2.0
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
I’d say Mr Copp regrets his decision to drop the gloves with Dach last night. Dach was throwing with some mean intentions. Really like seeing this mean streak develop - when he ran over Gudas the other night, it was a real eye opener on how solid and how strong he is already, and what he could be after he fills out some more. Don’t sleep on this kid, if he keeps developing at this pace, the sky is the limit.

Rob Sense

Apr 26, 2015
He's more like a right-handed playmaking Pacioretty version, which is pretty good. He's not physical enough to be compared with Getzlaf. And he needs to work on his faceoff skill.
He is now over 40%. Seems like he has improved in last 12-15 games.

Surprised he could punch with that bum wrist made of broken glass
He has to put it back together with Krazy Glue after each game!

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
Welcome to Montreal, Kirby Dach!

JK. This kid is our consolation prize if we don't get Bedard. Just turned 22 years old, will likely finish the season between 45-50 points playing as our #2 Center. Can skate, can pass, can score, can dangle, can hit, can fight, can become our best player over Suzuki IMO. Still a very unfinished project and has yet to tap his full potential. I feel Kirby is the type of player that elevates his game in the playoffs even more. A tremendous acquisition from KH. Very exciting for us to see him succeed with this group and this organization!

Only exceptional 18 year olds should play in the NHL. Chicago won’t make the same mistake as they made with Dach.
They're gonna play Leo Carlsson next year at 18 years old ;)

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Their only mistake with Dach was not evaluating is progress properly.

They also made an unfortunate decision to send him to the WJC where he got hurt in camp, but that Is bad luck, not a mistake. There was no NHL to play in at the time of that WJC.

Dach would almost surely not be the player he is today if he had not put in the time and work against NHLers and thus raise his game beyond the WHL level he would have had to play at (AHL not an option in his case).

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Their only mistake with Dach was not evaluating is progress properly.

They also made an unfortunate decision to send him to the WJC where he got hurt in camp, but that Is bad luck, not a mistake. There was no NHL to play in at the time of that WJC.

Dach would almost surely not be the player he is today if he had not put in the time and work against NHLers and thus raise his game beyond the WHL level he would have had to play at (AHL not an option in his case).
He’s a 50 point player today. It’s much more reasonable to say that getting rushed to the NHL set him back, rather than jacked up his development. 50 points for the prospect Dach was, not ideal.

Suzuki put work in the OHL after his draft and came out just fine for his projection.

Look, we’re happy Dach is impressing us — why bicker??

Cournoyer12

Mar 17, 2022
I’d say Mr Copp regrets his decision to drop the gloves with Dach last night. Dach was throwing with some mean intentions. Really like seeing this mean streak develop - when he ran over Gudas the other night, it was a real eye opener on how solid and how strong he is already, and what he could be after he fills out some more. Don’t sleep on this kid, if he keeps developing at this pace, the sky is the limit.
Totally agree, love the mean streak the kid has developed! Only enhances his play and his skills. This kid is definitely a keeper!!!!

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
He’s a 50 point player today. It’s much more reasonable to say that getting rushed to the NHL set him back, rather than jacked up his development. 50 points for the prospect Dach was, not ideal.

Suzuki put work in the OHL after his draft and came out just fine for his projection.

Look, we’re happy Dach is impressing us — why bicker??
Absolutely not. Dach is the perfect example of how a high draft pick with good skating and size can learn and progress in the NHL, and he did it DESPITE the injury he suffered while training for the WJC.

Suzuki was drafted at 13OA. Rarely do those mid-first round guys skip progressing in the CHL. Suzuki did not have the skating to start in the NHL right away.

Suzi also started in the NHL as a winger on the 4th line, despite "not being drafted for that role".

Oh, and by the way, Dach is probably not even close to finished developing. He should end up as way more than a 50 point player. How are Brady and Dahlen doing in their D+5? How about Dubois this year in his D+7?

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Absolutely not. Dach is the perfect example of how a high draft pick with good skating and size can learn and progress in the NHL, and he did it DESPITE the injury he suffered while training for the WJC.

Suzuki was drafted at 13OA. Rarely do those mid-first round guys skip progressing in the CHL. Suzuki did not have the skating to start in the NHL right away.

Suzi also started in the NHL as a winger on the 4th line, despite "not being drafted for that role".

Oh, and by the way, Dach is probably not even close to finished developing. He should end up as way more than a 50 point player. How are Brady and Dahlen doing in their D+5? How about Dubois this year in his D+7?
I’m happy with Dach and the acquisition so far and would be even more happy to see him further develop his abilities to impact the game.

I don’t think he should’ve been rushed to the NHL and the fact that his initial team cut him loose and traded him for a mid first round pick is a problem for those who want to rush every prospect.

In any case if you want to litigate Slafkovsky we can discuss it there. No need to bicker here — we should all be satisfied with the trade and his contract. It’s good value for a very young 50pt player with size and good upside.

• Haha
Reactions: nicehiss

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
At some point during the covid season, I said KK is going to be a more dominant center than Suzuki (LMAO…). I recall saying this after a game I think where KK was just running people over, knocking players down in board battles and driving his line.

Dach is basically becoming the player I hoped KK could be. I’ve always liked Dach, even during his draft year, and he’s looking like the player I expected. The only surprise for me is the physicality he’s been showing which I never expected. I never thought he was soft, but certainly never expected him to be hitting hard and beating on 5-0.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
I’m happy with Dach and the acquisition so far and would be even more happy to see him further develop his abilities to impact the game.

I don’t think he should’ve been rushed to the NHL and the fact that his initial team cut him loose and traded him for a mid first round pick is a problem for those who want to rush every prospect.

In any case if you want to litigate Slafkovsky we can discuss it there. No need to bicker here — we should all be satisfied with the trade and his contract. It’s good value for a very young 50pt player with size and good upside.

They traded Debrincat.......

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

Repeating yourself with no evidence is not convincing. You repeat that Dach was rushed when obviously he was not.

What happened is that Chicago mis-evaluated Dach and "cut him loose".

Vegas mis-evaluated Suzuki and cut him loose too. I can play your game and say that had he been playing in Vegas, they would not have made that mistake, but he was too far away and not on their minds, etc.

But I won't try to shove every fact of every case into my narrative.

Vegas messed up, Chicago messed up.

To boot, Habs messed up with Sergachev, who was sent down at 18, and also with KK, who was not.

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Pacioretty was not physical at all
What? Before he got suspended for a viscous hit on Letang he was hitting everyone in sight. Chara destroyed him and that was the end of the physical aspect of his game.

As for Dach, I was not a fan of his early this season because on most nights he looked disinterested but that has changed. He wants the puck now and his hitting when he needs to. The move back to center has been very promising. Good for him.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
At some point during the covid season, I said KK is going to be a more dominant center than Suzuki (LMAO…). I recall saying this after a game I think where KK was just running people over, knocking players down in board battles and driving his line.

Dach is basically becoming the player I hoped KK could be. I’ve always liked Dach, even during his draft year, and he’s looking like the player I expected. The only surprise for me is the physicality he’s been showing which I never expected. I never thought he was soft, but certainly never expected him to be hitting hard and beating on 5-0.

The main thing I have learned from this over the last few years is you just can't predict each prospects hunger to improve and face the challenges head on. Some shine in the age 18-21 years and some take a little longer. Dach's injury derailed things and the Hawks were a complete mess like us last year.

Development coaches can only instruct and point things out. It's up to the player to comprehend it and work hard at making adjustments. This is where the Hockey IQ part kicks in. This applies to Slaf as well and how he learned for his age 18 season and how obsessive he is to take another level for his age 19 season.

Difference between Dach and KK is Dach is more skilled and he is the better skater. Skating changes things. MSL is also a factor. You give him talent and he will help them get to their highest level if they are willing and smart enough to listen.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Best part of the game was that beat down..............RHP had a great game too, but that beatdown Dach put on Copp surprised everyone!!
This kid has the potential to be a #1 Centre, and have Suzuki slide down......and 3 more years, at 3.3M !!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad