Player Discussion Kirby Dach: Welcome to Montreal part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Dach's top end potential will depend on him developing a shooting touch.

If he starts to pot 20-25 a year because he develops a shot , defenders will start to give him space, which in turn will allow him to exploit the passing lanes with his vision.

He could be a 70 point centre if that happens.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

If he starts to pot 20-25 a year because he develops a shot , defenders will start to give him space, which in turn will allow him to exploit the passing lanes with his vision.

He's really good around the net, his reach alone will be good for a dozen goals every year.

With a bit more luck he'd easily have 4-5 more goals right now.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

Yep. This is the big difference between him and Suzuki. Nick’s got a great shot.

Reactions: Redux91

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
does anyone know if he’s committed to the KHL or any other contract ties? if the team that picks him can get him to North America next year he’ll definitely go top 5.

Good luck. There is no player transfer agreement from the NHL and KHL and the Russians prefer to hold onto their talent as much as they can. They tried that with Romanov. I don't blame them one bit in that area but they just can't compete with NHL salaries and the level of competition.

Michkov is signed till age 20 I believe. His 1st NHL season would be age 21. For Kaprisov, he came to the NHL at age 23. I'm totally fine with Michkov developing in Russia.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
He's really good around the net, his reach alone will be good for a dozen goals every year.

With a bit more luck he'd easily have 4-5 more goals right now.
Yah, I've noticed that too. He's got really good hands to pick up loose pucks. A lot of in close, or dirty loose puck goals.

If the habs get a better pointman on the PP, he probably could see an increase in goals from more rebounds.

Reactions: 417 and Redux91

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yep. This is the big difference between him and Suzuki. Nick’s got a great shot.

When did Suzuki develop that shot? At age 21/22? From what I see, his shot is much better this season than last and the season prior.

Dach is not done growing yet. We can only guess how obsessive he is a improving parts of his game in the next 2 or 3 years.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yah, I've noticed that too. He's got really good hands to pick up loose pucks. A lot of in close, or dirty loose puck goals.

If the habs get a better pointman on the PP, he probably could see an increase in goals from more rebounds.

Dach's forecheck and puck possession skills are underrated IMO. This is why he fit so well with Suzuki and Caufield IMO. Imagine Dach playing with Dubois and Anderson? Then I wonder who plays with Suzuki and Caufield. Hopefully Slaf takes a step forward next year. We need him too. Someone like Heineman could fit. He's a Hyman type guy if he reaches his ceiling. He's clearly NHL ready

Reactions: Redux91

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
You know who else looked discombobulated? Kirby Dach.

What I see is a player who’s lost his confidence. A guy who has talent but has been held back and now doesn’t know what style to play. He needs a change of scenery. Badly.

Again, he’s not without risk. But it’s a risk worth taking. If he flops… oh well. But if he comes anywhere near his potential, you’ve got a great shot at a cup in the future. We’ll worth gambling on.

No disagreement there but it all depends on the price. Laffs can be a reclamation project but in my mind he's even riskier than Dach. Kirby had a clear injury that I'm sure the Habs scouted and had a motivated seller in CHI. Whereas the reasons for Alexis' uninspiring play are harder to pinpoint. The one thing I'd heard was a lackadaisical attitude to training and such. In addition the Rags aren't rebuilding and seem to want to ride out Laffs and give him plenty of rope. Which probably means we'll have to either pay through the nose or wait another 2-3 years until he may be utterly ruined.

We gave a young top pairing D-man for an unidimentional offensive player who goes on streak of 50pts per season, times to times. It all depends what we give for Laf.

Like I said I wouldn't give more than a 2nd + a B prospect for him. And let's wait until the summer when they have to re-sign him to offer it.

Anderson straight up is a very good move. Lafreniere had 19 goals in 79 games last season. He's only 21 years old.

Dubois - Dach - Caufield
Slafkovsky - Suzuki - Lafreniere

That's a great top 6.

Have you watched Laffs play at all this year? He ain't looking good this year. I think people fell in love with Alexis the Junior player and still haven't come to terms with Alexis the NHL player.

Also we don't have Dubois yet, if we ever get him. He's still with the Jets and with the season he's having they'll offer him the moon. And if he doesn't take that what happens if he gets traded to COL, TBL or the Bruins? He'll re-sign with those teams for sure.

Finally saddling Suzuki with Slafs and Laffs is just mean. Will Nick have to do everything on that line?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
100%, you see defenders try to defend the shot on Nick which gives him that extra split second to make a pass or cut in on the rush.

Dach might be that homerun centre trade we've waiting for for 30 years.

Can Dach catch Suzuki at center value over the next 2 or 3 years? I was asking myself that question last night.

Reactions: Dutronc

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Can Dach catch Suzuki at center value over the next 2 or 3 years? I was asking myself that question last night.
Honestly, if Dach and Suzuki can both be 65-75 point centres for the next 10 years, then the habs are in fantastic shape. Boston had major success with a Krejci/Bergeron duo. Neither were top 5 centres for points, but they kept the bruins competitive for over a decade.

Dach-Suzuki combo, with Caufield and a developed Slaf puts the habs in a really solid place for their top 6.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
No disagreement there but it all depends on the price. Laffs can be a reclamation project but in my mind he's even riskier than Dach. Kirby had a clear injury that I'm sure the Habs scouted and had a motivated seller in CHI. Whereas the reasons for Alexis' uninspiring play are harder to pinpoint. The one thing I'd heard was a lackadaisical attitude to training and such. In addition the Rags aren't rebuilding and seem to want to ride out Laffs and give him plenty of rope. Which probably means we'll have to either pay through the nose or wait another 2-3 years until he may be utterly ruined.

Like I said I wouldn't give more than a 2nd + a B prospect for him. And let's wait until the summer when they have to re-sign him to offer it.

Have you watched Laffs play at all this year? He ain't looking good this year. I think people fell in love with Alexis the Junior player and still haven't come to terms with Alexis the NHL player.

Also we don't have Dubois yet, if we ever get him. He's still with the Jets and with the season he's having they'll offer him the moon. And if he doesn't take that what happens if he gets traded to COL, TBL or the Bruins? He'll re-sign with those teams for sure.

Finally saddling Suzuki with Slafs and Laffs is just mean. Will Nick have to do everything on that line?

Lafreniere is not a great skater but he's OK. His ability to overcome NHL players is just not the same as it was in Junior. It's not tracking well but I still wonder where he tops out at. Could MSL get the best out of him?

Dubois will be offered the moon from the Jets? It's deeper than that. If you were Dubois, would you commit to 8 years when you don't really know if they can retain both Scheifele and Helle the following year? I'm assuming the Jets try to get all 3 to extend this summer to be honest and it's something they can look at after the season ends. Nothing is stopping them from asking what Scheifele and Helle would want.

Jets don't have history of forking out massive AAV contracts with signing bonus money. They are a very frugal team as a small market team and they do draft/develop very well. I honestly don't think they do what the Flames did and become a age 30+ core for the most part. To get Dubois to change his mind, they likely have to offer him $10M like the Flames did with Huberdeau. I don't see them doing this and I do think Dubois has his mind made up. How would you feel as a fan if you were a Jets fan? Someone that already told your organization that he will not sign past his RFA years and wants to become UFA? This coming after he asked out of Columbus and is on record saying he wants to play for the Habs?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Honestly, if Dach and Suzuki can both be 65-75 point centres for the next 10 years, then the habs are in fantastic shape. Boston had major success with a Krejci/Bergeron duo. Neither were top 5 centres for points, but they kept the bruins competitive for over a decade.

Dach-Suzuki combo, with Caufield and a developed Slaf puts the habs in a really solid place for their top 6.

If we can build a strong top 9 and a strong top 4D with better goaltending, we can be a contender. Ideally, we would like a 100+ pts player but like you said, Bruins did well with their centers and so did the Blues.

Imagine having Danault at $5.5M behind Suzuki and Dubois and no Dvorak, Armia, and Hoffman? Hopefully Beck can be our next Danault.

I dislike the line some fans have with top 6 vs bottom 6. I think top 9. I want 3 good lines and of course, a much better PP.

Reactions: Goalfield13

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
If we can build a strong top 9 and a strong top 4D with better goaltending, we can be a contender. Ideally, we would like a 100+ pts player but like you said, Bruins did well with their centers and so did the Blues.

Imagine having Danault at $5.5M behind Suzuki and Dubois and no Dvorak, Armia, and Hoffman? Hopefully Beck can be our next Danault.

I dislike the line some fans have with top 6 vs bottom 6. I think top 9. I want 3 good lines and of course, a much better PP.

I agree a good 3rd line is needed and I like having the option of spreading our top 6 forwards over three lines I also like the idea of lines having identities.

Caufield - Suzuki - Slaf

The Classic: a big body to go into the corner elite trigger man, great playmaker centre who can score.

Dubois - Dach-Smith/Fant/Carlsson/Sale/benson

Big boys or big boys +1. A line that can score with skill or cycle and grind you down

Roy - Beck - Heineman/Mesar/Ferrel:

fantastic 2 way line that can shot down opposition and contribute probably 40-50 goals per year.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I agree a good 3rd line is needed and I like having the option of spreading our top 6 forwards over three lines I also like the idea of lines having identities.

Caufield - Suzuki - Slaf

The Classic: a big body to go into the corner elite trigger man, great playmaker centre who can score.

Dubois - Dach-Smith/Fant/Carlsson/Sale/benson

Big boys or big boys +1. A line that can score with skill or cycle and grind you down

Roy - Beck - Heineman/Mesar/Ferrel:

fantastic 2 way line that can shot down opposition and contribute probably 40-50 goals per year.

Add Dubois and keep drafting. Next two drafts are very important IMO.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
Kirby during yesterday’s game

479110BF-350D-4B2D-A1DB-E315A1E063FE.gif

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Dach's forecheck and puck possession skills are underrated IMO. This is why he fit so well with Suzuki and Caufield IMO. Imagine Dach playing with Dubois and Anderson? Then I wonder who plays with Suzuki and Caufield. Hopefully Slaf takes a step forward next year. We need him too. Someone like Heineman could fit. He's a Hyman type guy if he reaches his ceiling. He's clearly NHL ready
It will be hard to fit Dach, Suzuki, Caulfield, Slafkovsky, Bedard, Dubois, Roy, Farrell, and Lafreniere in a single top 6.

Reactions: Andy

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
There is risk for sure. Bad development or not, he is where he is and it's a few years into his career.

But, that's why a talent like him is available. You're not going to get a guy who's knocked the cover off the ball. Nobody would trade him. So, is the upside worth it? As always, depends on the price.

To me, Anderson is overrated. I think teams will love his 'power forward' game and pay for it. I think that should be enough. And if we do it that way, we continue on the rebuild path and don't give up any prospects. Right now we should continue accumulating young talent and this fits in with the plan. Get the best young talent you can via draft or trade and build from there.

Bring him in and do the same thing we did with Dach. Put him on the first line and let him rack up points. Meanwhile we could put Slaf with Dach next year and those two could grow together. Then if things go well you could swap out Slaf and Laf and mix and match. All of a sudden you've got three top three picks in your top six lineup. That's pretty freaking good. Esp when you've got CC and Zuki to go with them plus whatever else we get in the draft.

So, yeah... I think he's worth taking that risk on. But if the Rangers say "we want your first this year" then they can go pound sand. It all depends on what they ask. But Anderson is something I'd give up right away. It helps them now which is what they're probably looking for. Might have to take back a bad contract or something but that can be worked out.

But hey, you could be right. We trade for him and it doesn't pan out. That's very possible.

Reactions: Dutronc

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad