Player Discussion Kirby Dach: Welcome to Montreal part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Only problem is that, as a productive 2nd liner, fans will target him for being just that, like they did with Drouin when he was producing 50+ points on the season.
Fair enough. But we gave up a fantastic prospect for him. Different deal here if you’re trading Anderson for him.

Reactions: SpeedyPotato

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Anderson is worth a 1st +. No way is Laffs worth that now. Wait 'til it's time for re-signing him this summer. Then offer a 2nd + Mysak/Norlinder.

WAY TOO MUCH. Have you seen his stats? Have you seen him play this year? And it's not like he had a serious wrist injury like Kirby.
What i offered gets it done. Seriously no skin off our back.. mid round 1st, pft (4 years time) if turns out well. Mesar, pft take him. Then 2 vet contracts of their choice (ufa this or next year)...

Yeah it's alot, but we get a former 1stoa who has been bruttally managed.. still very young. Big hulking winger.

In 2 years time, nobody would bat an eye what we gave: peanuts.

Sign PLD, draft Fantilli (to buy a 1D, d+4) and we start our path next year..

LAFF- ZUK- CC
PLD - DACH - SLAF
GALLY- DVO - EVANS
(LOTS OF PLAYERS HERE)

1D (via 2ndoa) - GUHLE
MATHESON- HARRIS
JACKEYE - BARRON
KOVACEVIC

NEED A 1G FOR CUP
MONTAMBEAU
PRIMEAU
DOBES

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
Anderson’s trade value is far more inflated than his actual worth in my opinion.

Without hesitation I’d move him for Laf.

Lafreniere's trade value is far more inflated than his actual worth in my opinion.

All kidding aside, have you watched him play this year? He's actually starting to look discombobulated on the ice now. I'd argue he might be even worse now than in his rookie season. He's tentative and unsure which just makes him so slow on the ice. I mean was his hockey IQ always this low? Did the Rags mess him up this bad? If things continue in this manner he'll wind up a 40pt tween winger.

What i offered gets it done. Seriously no skin off our back.. mid round 1st, pft (4 years time) if turns out well. Mesar, pft take him. Then 2 vet contracts of their choice (ufa this or next year)...

Yeah it's alot, but we get a former 1stoa who has been bruttally managed.. still very young. Big hulking winger.

In 2 years time, nobody would bat an eye what we gave: peanuts.

Sign PLD, draft Fantilli (to buy a 1D, d+4) and we start our path next year.

Just FYI there's a good chance a mid 1st Round pick in '23 will be better than Slafkovsky. Also Mesar looks great, I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up with a better career than Laffs.

Now there was always talk of Alexis' attitude but until now I always thought it was exaggerated. Talk that he wasn't interested in improving himself. I always thought that stuff was just silly, kinda like the Kakko short stick stories. But now I dunno, back in the Q he could get away with it because he was just so much bigger than everyone else but not now. Now he has to use his brains, now he has to get stronger and I don't know if he's willing to put in the work.

Some people just have this strange idea of what Laffs is. Kinda like they did about Slafkovsky. Some people were saying that Juraj was gonna be some sort of Power Forward or that he'd beat smaller players up. That's not the type of player he is at all. Neither is Laffs.

p.s. Of all the top prospects in the '23 Draft Fantilli's the one that impresses me the least.

Last edited:
Reactions: themilosh

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Hopefully the recent games is a sign of Dach's improvement at the face-off circle.

The last 6 games, he was 50% and over on the dot in 4 of them. Granted, he's not taking 12-15 face-offs in the games (except last night vs Bruins). But the ones he takes, he's been winning more of them.

vs. NYI: 67% (6 face offs)
vs. NYR: 33% (6 face offs)
vs. WPG: 22% (9 face offs)
vs. FLA: 75% (8 face offs)
vs. TOR: 50% (6 face offs)
vs. BOS: 62% (13 face offs)

We are seeing the emergence of Dach and the fact he's having success at center is real exciting. We were all hoping Dach would be the Habs' version of Zibanejad with the Rangers (another one of Gorton's better moves for New York).

He has 5 pts in his last 5 games. Has 8 pts in his last 10 games. And is on pace for 53 pts (17G, 36A) in 82 games this year. Mika's first year with the Rangers, he had 37 pts in 56 games (prorated to 54 pts in 82).

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Only problem is that, as a productive 2nd liner, fans will target him for being just that, like they did with Drouin when he was producing 50+ points on the season.

Drouin put up 53 pts in his age 21 season. The idea was he would improve like Dach is doing with the Habs in his age 21/22 season. We know today that Drouin digressed but that was not what most believed when he was 21. It's easy today to shit on Drouin knowing what happened in his days with Montreal.

Back to Dach.... I really like what I see and his development is not done yet. I think he gets much better when he fills into his frame and matures as he approaches his age 23+ years. His next contract could be a big one.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Drouin put up 53 pts in his age 21 season. The idea was he would improve like Dach is doing with the Habs in his age 21/22 season. We know today that Drouin digressed but that was not what most believed when he was 21. It's easy today to shit on Drouin knowing what happened in his days with Montreal.

Back to Dach.... I really like what I see and his development is not done yet. I think he gets much better when he fills into his frame and matures as he approaches his age 23+ years. His next contract could be a big one.

Exactly. We have the benefit of hindsight with Drouin and we know how things went.

With Dach, we're still at the start. So we all hope that it doesn't end up like Drouin where there is regression.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
No I’m saying a team and its fans shouldn’t panic about a player deemed as a project for not lighting the world on fire right away. That development isn’t linear or the same for everyone.
It's truly amazing how quickly people forget this or don't grasp it at all.

You'd think after spending 40ish games watching Kirby Dach blossom in his 4th year that some folks in the Slafkovsky thread would apply that same patience but I digress.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Exactly. We have the benefit of hindsight with Drouin and we know how things went.

With Dach, we're still at the start. So we all hope that it doesn't end up like Drouin where there is regression.

I like Dach's progression with the Habs. He's not a soft forward like Drouin was/is. Dach should get physically stronger too. I believe in him from what I see so far.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm truly salivating at the idea of Dach flourishing + grabbing Dubois at some point and drafting top 10 this year. We could have 4 legitimate top 6 forwards who are all big and physical to go with Suzuki and Caufield.

I agree but I think top 9 vs top 6. Top 6 if flawed cause you need 3 lines. The question I would ponder is if we add Dubois, do we move Dach to his wing and Dvorak at 3C for now while Beck develops. Or do we go with Suzuki, Dubois, Dach up the middle. Options are a good thing

Reactions: themilosh

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Lafreniere's trade value is far more inflated than his actual worth in my opinion.

All kidding aside, have you watched him play this year? He's actually starting to look discombobulated on the ice now. I'd argue he might be even worse now than in his rookie season. He's tentative and unsure which just makes him so slow on the ice. I mean was his hockey IQ always this low? Did the Rags mess him up this bad? If things continue in this manner he'll wind up a 40pt tween winger.

You know who else looked discombobulated? Kirby Dach.

What I see is a player who’s lost his confidence. A guy who has talent but has been held back and now doesn’t know what style to play. He needs a change of scenery. Badly.

Again, he’s not without risk. But it’s a risk worth taking. If he flops… oh well. But if he comes anywhere near his potential, you’ve got a great shot at a cup in the future. We’ll worth gambling on.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
It makes all the sense in the world to see how good he can become as a center, now that he's hitting his stride. One of the main objectives for the rest of the season should be to get him as comfortable as possible as a 2C. This is where the money is for us in the long run.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
It makes all the sense in the world to see how good he can become as a center, now that he's hitting his stride. One of the main objectives for the rest of the season should be to get him as comfortable as possible as a 2C. This is where the money is for us in the long run.
Yeah. He’s progressing nicely. Love what MSL has done with him.

Now if he could only be nicer to Slaf… : laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad