Kingston Frontenacs 2024-25 Season Thread, Part I

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
They need a centre and a 1st/2nd pairing rhd man so they do need 2 trades. if pickell gets pushed out he gets pushed out

I agree but I was suggesting two forward trades, not just one. Pickell won’t get pushed out because one of those deals will be an OA which means Hayes is gone. It seems Lalonde has done well enough to consider him the starter, no?

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
I agree but I was suggesting two forward trades, not just one. Pickell won’t get pushed out because one of those deals will be an OA which means Hayes is gone. It seems Lalonde has done well enough to consider him the starter, no?
Heyes was never going to stay anyways. He is playing top line minutes right now to increase his value. I assume they want him to have a home for his final year.

I’d love for Lalonde to be the starter. Unfortunately I don’t make the calls but I have not been impressed with vaccari at all this year.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Heyes was never going to stay anyways. He is playing top line minutes right now to increase his value. I assume they want him to have a home for his final year.

I’d love for Lalonde to be the starter. Unfortunately I don’t make the calls but I have not been impressed with vaccari at all this year.

So then the point I was making still holds. Had they acquired another Centre, that would have pushed Pickell down to the 4th line for sure where he would not have gotten the minutes to prove capable. Then when they acquire the OA D-Man, Heyes is deleted and then what? DO they try to acquire another depth forward to replace Heyes? Having Pickell playing the top 9 minutes already and being successful means if/when Heyes is gone, they should feel comfortable about keeping him there and they don’t need to acquire another forward. This is a result of being patient and allowing existing assets to play their way into a role in the early stages of a season. THAT is my point.

This sort of thing happens often. I know you and many others felt Hopkins was ready for a bigger role but if he were on a stacked team, he wouldn’t have gotten an opportunity. MAYBE if they had the centre early, he is pushed down to 3C where he isn’t given as many high leverage minutes to develop and be more ready when the playoffs come along.

From my perspective, this is why I think being patient helps. You get to see what you have. Will it cost you points int he standings? Maybe. But it pays off bigger dividends in the 2nd half when you have more players better prepared because they received the solid minutes early. The players are more confident because they were able to achieve results early. If/when they need to step into bigger roles for injury replacement etc when the games are higher stakes as the season winds down, they are better prepared.

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
0-7 in one goal games (counting the Niagara game with two ENGs)... At some point hanging with these teams needs to turn into beating these teams...

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
So then the point I was making still holds. Had they acquired another Centre, that would have pushed Pickell down to the 4th line for sure where he would not have gotten the minutes to prove capable. Then when they acquire the OA D-Man, Heyes is deleted and then what? DO they try to acquire another depth forward to replace Heyes? Having Pickell playing the top 9 minutes already and being successful means if/when Heyes is gone, they should feel comfortable about keeping him there and they don’t need to acquire another forward. This is a result of being patient and allowing existing assets to play their way into a role in the early stages of a season. THAT is my point.

This sort of thing happens often. I know you and many others felt Hopkins was ready for a bigger role but if he were on a stacked team, he wouldn’t have gotten an opportunity. MAYBE if they had the centre early, he is pushed down to 3C where he isn’t given as many high leverage minutes to develop and be more ready when the playoffs come along.

From my perspective, this is why I think being patient helps. You get to see what you have. Will it cost you points int he standings? Maybe. But it pays off bigger dividends in the 2nd half when you have more players better prepared because they received the solid minutes early. The players are more confident because they were able to achieve results early. If/when they need to step into bigger roles for injury replacement etc when the games are higher stakes as the season winds down, they are better prepared.
Yes I never said they need to acquire 2 forwards and I don’t think anyone here believes that. They need a first or second line centre and a top 4 rhd d

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
It's not going to get any easier Brantford is also getting stronger getting Hamara and with Jirichek coming soon.
Yeah clear as ever the fronts aren’t going to be able to compete.

They can have all the talent in the world they need to be able to hang onto leads and be able to win the tight games- something haven’t shown yet and I don’t think an addition or two would change that. Brantford is going to load up here and they may even pass Oshawa and Barrie- east is too loaded this year I hope they don’t do any big buying

PuckLucker

Feb 18, 2024
VERY frustrating weekend for the fronts 0/3 in OT.

They need to break up that second line clearly Battaglia soto and Hopkins isn’t working right now. Teams are catching on and as a result they aren’t producing and we are losing games- those are the guys that need to be scoring not guys like Ben Pickell no offence to him but my standards are not as high for him.

3 points is better than 0 points however they could’ve had potentially 4, 5, or even 6.
I would agree on maybe a line shakeup there. Things work until they don't and this weekend proved it's not working anymore.

The PP has been clicking as of lately but this weekend it didn't produce as many points as were needed. The team is still playing well, just slightly behind where they need to be.

Reactions: frontsfan67

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
NHL Central Scouting Preliminary rankings released - Hopkins a C (4/5th round), Velliaris a W (6/7th round) and no Weir. Kieren Dervin is also a C as the only other Kingston draft pick to be ranked.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
NHL Central Scouting Preliminary rankings released - Hopkins a C (4/5th round), Velliaris a W (6/7th round) and no Weir. Kieren Dervin is also a C as the only other Kingston draft pick to be ranked.
I can see Hopkins pushing up to a B by the end of the season. Could see velliaris either staying as a W Or falling out of it completely. Still very raw

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
Looking through through the box scores around the league today and I've gotta say never in a million years did I expect to see Christopher Thibodeau's name followed by Major for Fighting lol

Attachments

• Screenshot_20241023_225804_CHL.jpg
    Screenshot_20241023_225804_CHL.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 2
  • Wow

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
Looks like Weir in for Kelly, Velliaris back in for Moore and Vaccari starting with Betts backing up.

Hopefully Kingston can get back on track tonight before what will likely be a tough game against Oshawa - they'll have Sennecke new from the first game, and possibly Ritchie too - that will be a measuring stick game

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Looks like Weir in for Kelly, Velliaris back in for Moore and Vaccari starting with Betts backing up.

Hopefully Kingston can get back on track tonight before what will likely be a tough game against Oshawa - they'll have Sennecke new from the first game, and possibly Ritchie too - that will be a measuring stick game
I’m pretty worried about the game tomorrow for sure. Not to mention since the gens played the Pete’s they’re on a little bit of a winning streak and I haven’t watched but they’re probably playing a lot better hockey now. Saw sennecke got 2 goals and 2 assists so he’s starting to look like him again and then Barlow just got his first goal as a gen. Insert Ritchie back into the picture and it may be a long night tomorrow. Fronts HAVE to win tonight

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Fronts have a lot of young talent and I think it's going to take until Xmas to sort things out. Out of curiosity what would mews be worth to you guys

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
Fronts have a lot of young talent and I think it's going to take until Xmas to sort things out. Out of curiosity what would mews be worth to you guys
I think people in the Ottawa thread are going to say to use the Barlow, Rehkoph deals as a guideline but he is not close to being on their level.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I think people in the Ottawa thread are going to say to use the Barlow, Rehkoph deals as a guideline but he is not close to being on their level.

He is a two year point per game RHD. I would think his value would relate to a 90 point 1 year forward. If not, I think Mews is stuck where he is.

FrontalLobe

Feb 23, 2023
Also, the Fronts are trying to eliminate all aspects of selfishness and build a positive culture, so............................

I think their focus is elsewhere as you know as well ScoutLife

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Also, the Fronts are trying to eliminate all aspects of selfishness and build a positive culture, so............................

Agreed but it is not like Mews is Ryan Merkley.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

Mews showed up for the ‘67s, and gave them 2+ years. Musty gave the wolves three seasons. They know better than you if the teams they belong to are not the right place for them at this time. It is really no different than Barlow, who did not progress in OS since his NHL draft year.

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023

Mews is not off the table for Kingston I know that much.
There is no interest in Musty though i'm told on the Kingston side.

He is a two year point per game RHD. I would think his value would relate to a 90 point 1 year forward. If not, I think Mews is stuck where he is.
He has yet to have a ppg in the OHL.
92 games 63PTs is no where close to a point per game.
He also has shown to be a liability in his own end. Not exactly what teams will be screaming for.
I think the reason he is still there is Ottawa likely wants an overpay but when the kid doesn't report next Sept that's going to be an issue.
Probably looking at something similar to the Frasca trade to Erie maybe a bit more.

Last edited:
Reactions: dirty12

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
Kingston doesn't have the players to make a Barlow type trade ('06-wise not trading Battaglia so only Williamson, '07-wise not trading Hopkins so only Velliaris/Weir) - and neither of those guys have the value Delisle/Bedkowski did so if it happened it'd likely be a pure picks deal like the Rehkopf deal.

They don't even have an '08 1st to move so waiting until Jan does them no good.

If we use the Rehkopf deal as a comparable (3 2s, 3 3s, 3 4s, and a 7) they'd have 3 2s, 5 3s and 1 4 left. If they buy, they could then sell Battaglia and Mews off next year along with a couple OA '05s and recoup all the picks (I don't think they'll have enough to run it back next year if they make a Mews move.

Reactions: Section5Petes

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
I was looking back and can't even really find a good comparable for what a Mews trade would bring.
It's somewhere in the middle of the Frasca and Rehkopf deal but close to the Frasca deal side. imo

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Mews showed up for the ‘67s, and gave them 2+ years. Musty gave the wolves three seasons. They know better than you if the teams they belong to are not the right place for them at this time. It is really no different than Barlow, who did not progress in OS since his NHL draft year.
I think Musty is a no-go for a lot of teams. the price and the attitude will make it hard to sell, and Sudbury is showing they really do not care what he does. To me, that is a good thing. Sudbury is winning the battle because Grier is putting the screws to the agent to get something done. My personal preference is Peterborough.

As to Mews he might be an interesting partner for either Pie or Burns. It would definitely give you a strong back end on the PP.

What would a Vaccari and Weir, plus a couple of picks, look like as a trade? I know @OMG67 is going to scream, but it might help Ottawa in the short term, as well as giving them a young RW to slot in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad