Kingston Frontenacs 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 4)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
they made big errors in the last 12 months.

drafting malholtra was a massive miss. One big trade chip that now becomes useless.

Not moving Ludwinski last year. Could have pocketed enough picks for Guindon and another good OA D and saved the other picks for 05s. Even the Jax Dupuis trade seemed a year early

Kingston needs to find a way to effectively improve their goal differential by around 120 goals if they want to be on par or close to on par with Brampton. They will need to score one additional goal per game and reduce goals against by one full goal per game.

I think it is silly for anyone to suggest they can be in the same ballpark as Brampton when Brampton has proven they are poised to make a big push.

Adding Wakely to this team will improve them tremendously but not nearly enough.

They ill need another top 4 D-Man as well. They probably have the picks to do those two moves but I don’t think that brings them up to where Brampton is today, let alone post deadline Brampton.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Even with the 2 first rounders next year- I’m 100% sure if they traded Battaglia next year at the deadline to some team they can get atleast 1 more first round pick. If they get a guy like Mews who is here this year and next they may be able to get a 4th first rounder.

Blunder or not with malholtra- they will still be able to work out this. Get the 3 or 4 first round picks and have Mann develop them for 2 years. They’ll be fine even if they empty out the cupboards the next 4 years they’ll make it back trading guys like Soto, Miedema, Battaglia next year. If they really wanted to get it all back they could trade Hopkins too. If he takes big leaps and gets traded at the deadline he should bring in a first and lots of draft picks

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Even with the 2 first rounders next year- I’m 100% sure if they traded Battaglia next year at the deadline to some team they can get atleast 1 more first round pick. If they get a guy like Mews who is here this year and next they may be able to get a 4th first rounder.

Blunder or not with malholtra- they will still be able to work out this. Get the 3 or 4 first round picks and have Mann develop them for 2 years. They’ll be fine even if they empty out the cupboards the next 4 years they’ll make it back trading guys like Soto, Miedema, Battaglia next year. If they really wanted to get it all back they could trade Hopkins too. If he takes big leaps and gets traded at the deadline he should bring in a first and lots of draft picks
it’s not about getting another 08, of course they will, it’s the opportunity lost to trade whoever they drafted to get a high end 05. of you want ando from Kitchener or Gibson, the lack of an 08 may take you right out of the ballgame.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
it’s not about getting another 08, of course they will, it’s the opportunity lost to trade whoever they drafted to get a high end 05. of you want ando from Kitchener or Gibson, the lack of an 08 may take you right out of the ballgame.
Yeah that’s fair. What about if they overpaid on one of those guys though? I’m sure if kingston puts together a package they can’t refuse around picks they may end up getting one of them.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Yeah that’s fair. What about if they overpaid on one of those guys though? I’m sure if kingston puts together a package they can’t refuse around picks they may end up getting one of them.
You sure could in theory, but then you’ve blown your wad on one player with little to nothing left for other upgrades.

It probably will take 10 picks, the level has been set

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
It used to be WJC forward, OA D in exchange for 1st pick, 2-3 future picks. When the price becomes Andonovski, McCoy …for the 7-9 selected player, plus pick(s); it might be best to protect yourself by utilizing the defect rule.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
You sure could in theory, but then you’ve blown your wad on one player with little to nothing left for other upgrades.

It probably will take 10 picks, the level has been set
Wow. 10 picks?? Thats crazy. Thought it would be something like 2 seconds and 3 thirds and maybe a 5 or 6th for a 1 year rental

@OMG67 $100 says Kingston finishes top 4 in the East. :)
Wonder if he takes the deal this year LOL

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
Wow. 10 picks?? Thats crazy. Thought it would be something like 2 seconds and 3 thirds and maybe a 5 or 6th for a 1 year rental

I would be surprised.
I would also do Kingston finishing ahead of Ottawa if he would take that.

Reactions: frontsfan67

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017

it was 5 picks for an overage at the deadline. Oshawa got very lucky with Punnett.

Why would a 19 year old cost the same?

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
it was 5 picks for an overage at the deadline. Oshawa got very lucky with Punnett.

OMG is trying to say Mews will bring the same return as Carson Rehkopf I think.
But yea he won't...

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022

Was just thinking it could be because it’s a 1 year rental. A guy like mews for instance I would assume would go for more being a 2 year player

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Would Mews pull a Frasca and threaten not report to training camp?

I think that is the only way he is traded this year to be honest. Maybe if the team is underperforming at the deadline and the temptation to sell early results in a gross trade return? The sense I am getting is the 67’s are not entertaining the disgruntled player. I’m not convinced it is to the point where he wants out and will even consider opting to sit out to make it happen.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
OMG is trying to say Mews will bring the same return as Carson Rehkopf I think.
But yea he won't...

I don’t think I ever said that but at the same time, I am not sure that is too far off when you consider it is a two year player that scored 60 points as a 17 year old D-Man AND most suggest he underachieved….

I doubt if it were a picks only deal that it would be any different than the deal for Donovan last year. The team that trades for him this year can turn around next year and likely get close to the same if he scores 80 points this year on a contender.

I doubt Boyd would do that for just picks though. I think he’d need to be handcuffed.

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
I don’t think I ever said that but at the same time, I am not sure that is too far off when you consider it is a two year player that scored 60 points as a 17 year old D-Man AND most suggest he underachieved….

I doubt if it were a picks only deal that it would be any different than the deal for Donovan last year. The team that trades for him this year can turn around next year and likely get close to the same if he scores 80 points this year on a contender.

I doubt Boyd would do that for just picks though. I think he’d need to be handcuffed.
I think you are 2-3 picks off getting 10 in return.
Especially with teams knowing his agent has been trying to work him out of there.
Lowers the value right like it did Frasca?

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I can't do that one as Brampton is positioning themselves to be a super team and reaching 100PTS.
Could see Kingston around 80-84

My whole point in this discussion is that Brampton will be too far ahead for anything Kingston doing making a meaningful dent in their success this year. I even stated CLEARLY that this wasn’t about denigrating Kingston. It is about pumping the tires of Brampton.

If Kingston finishes 3rd with 80 points and plays Barrie in Round 2 and they have 90 points and the Fronts lose, what does that accomplish? They’d go into next season with nothing other than the two 1st rounders and a two year selloff. They’d be in a similar situation to the Petes EXCEPT the Petes won a Championship, not a single round in the playoffs.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I think you are 2-3 picks off getting 10 in return.
Especially with teams knowing his agent has been trying to work him out of there.
Lowers the value right like it did Frasca?

Frasca lowered his own value by being a tool. Mews isn’t a tool. Values don’t lower because a player wants out just like it doesn’t lower when a team is in sell mode and they make it known an elite player is available.

How often do 18 year old >PPG D-Men become available? Do you honestly think that because he wants out there will only be one or two teams in on that? That is just silly. If he comes on the market, his value is high because he is projected to be an 80 point D-Man this year with two seasons of eligibility remaining. He is worth slightly more this year than he would be next year because of the two years.

It is not like Mews is a “potential” point per game D-Man that we think will improve to that. HE basically already did it. At least be realistic. Donovan went for eight picks including two 2nds and four 3rds. I think for the calibre of player Mews is plus the two years of eligibility, that is realistic.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad