Kings News: Kings acquire Tanner Jeanott from the Lightning

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Oh boy, he fights! The Cup is ours! Overpayment and bad asset management is shockingly, still overpayment and bad asset management at the end of the day.
I'm leaning towards not liking it a whole lot either, at least as far as the fact I feel it's a bit of overpayment. Not a problem with the player itself.

At least it wasn't basically an entire draft for him

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Kings fans are so desperate for any kind of physicality because the roster construction was so poorly built in the other direction, that people are seriously excited about trading a 2nd round pick for a overpaid 4th liner who's been bad for two years and was healthy scratched in the playoffs. This is awful value, plain and simple

It's a 2nd rd pick a year from now, which decreases the value of the 2nd rd pick. And what are the odds that the eventual 2nd rd selection is even as good as an overpaid 4th liner?

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
It's a 2nd rd pick a year from now, which decreases the value of the 2nd rd pick. And what are the odds that the eventual 2nd rd selection is even as good as an overpaid 4th liner?
With this kind of logic, why not just trade all future non first round picks for overpaid 4th liners, because at least they did something in the league?

apadilla

Dec 27, 2007
Takes away some of the sting yesterday for passing on Emery. Where do you guys think Jeanott lines up? 4th Line with Turcotte and ? Or higher up

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
I love it, exactly who i wanted us to get. He is as tough as they get. He has shown a scoring touch in the past, but has dealt with injuries the last year or so. It is a contract year for him, so he will be leaving it all out on the ice.

Finally a guy that can play and also be a thug

We picked up a 2nd for moving back 5 places yesterday, so it offsets the loss of the pick.

Im suprised everone is so negative with this trade considering how we have been developing prospects lately and how flacid our team plays.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
What a waste of a morning, Bad asset management with that second round pick. Then we trade a second and fourth for a player that we should have been paid 44 taking them especially if there's no Money retain. So much optimism yesterday and then today all this happens
There's zero optimism yesterday, did I miss something?

Nevertheless, these are the kind of guys you want to have when you have a young team or an old team. You need players like this and the Kings dont have any. If Jeannot is better than Grundstrom in production and he can injure a few guys then I dont see this as a problem at all. Kings have been way too soft for way too long.

Kings removed

PLD, Arvidsson, Roy, and Grundstrom. PLD who never engaged in anything. Arvidsson is an overrated midget. Roy is soft as hell, and Grundstrom throws "hits" but they're the softest hits and he plays with ZERO edge.

Kings added

Burroughs
Jeannot

On any team whether new or young this is an absolute necessity. I was foolish in the past to think you can just outskill these heavy hitting teams if you have the talent for it. Even then I assumed the NHL was going to rely less on hitting/aggression more and more.

I was flat out wrong like many on this matter, its more important than ever to add sandpaper that can score decently. If you have guys like Kopitar and Doughty who never stand up for their teammates as "leaders" then you HAVE To incorporate them into the line up some other way. Aggressive leaders have that quality imbue other players on their team but we dont have the luxury of that.

• Haha
Reactions: Surf Nutz

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
With this kind of logic, why not just trade all future non first round picks for overpaid 4th liners, because at least they did something in the league?

It's not this kind of logic, it's what happens around the league every year. Blake's not the only dumbass. He's like 1 of 28 of them. And the 4 that might know what they're doing right now changes every few years.

If you had every 2nd rd pick, you'll get some good players. Maybe even a HoF type. But any single 2nd rd pick? Especially in the future? You have no idea who that might be. The odds of you throwing out a name right now and being right would probably be as good as winning the lottery.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
I'm leaning towards not liking it a whole lot either, at least as far as the fact I feel it's a bit of overpayment. Not a problem with the player itself.

At least it wasn't basically an entire draft for him
Yeah, the Kings need grit, but they need the whole team to be more physical. One player hitting isn't going to move the needle much if at all. Look at Englund this past year, he hits, he fights... Didn't really do much to change anything did it?

I expect Jeanott to have a similar affect on the roster. A decent amount of hits, a handful of fights and the Kings will continue to be one of the softest teams in the league.

A culture change is needed imo. Until that happens I don't see the needle moving much at all.

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
I think this is the most over-rated comment about future draft pick comp and absolutely horse crap. It's totally thrown around by fans as gospel.

In a sport like maybe he NFL where guys can come in and contribute immediately, i get it a bit and put some (not all) merit into that thinking. But in the NHL where guys are drafted and don't play for 3-7 years (except for maybe top 3-5 picks), this thinking makes zero sense.

The only real merit it has is that future picks mean less to the current GM because there is no certainty the GM will still be around. In a vacuum, the current GM only cares about now -- unless he is starting a rebuild. So screw the next guy. But over the long-term, this devaluing next years pick by a round is utterly horsecrap.

apadilla

Dec 27, 2007
I understand some people here are all about hits and fights no matter what, but all things must be viewed in the context of value, and the value of this trade sucks

On my part it's about the lack of hits, and players not sticking up for one another. This trade could help both area's, but more is still needed, either with another trade or bringing up one of the big boys (Helenius or Lee) for good.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I understand why everyone is upset because the saying on here has always been "you can easily add grit later".

It's not easy. There is a cost to it because these type of guys are much rarer in today's NHL.

Lizzote is a better player but this is the type of player I've been wanting instead with those dollars. Hopefully he can provide a spark and drag a team into the fire that has shown for years that it is most comfortable in an exhibition game atmosphere.

apadilla

Dec 27, 2007
liking it less now that i realize Tanner is only signed for one more year. Hopefully they can work an extension. I think a 2nd or maybe just a 3rd is more the right value...not a 2nd & 4th. Especially since our 2nd next year might be really good (top 40-50).

Maybe see if he'd be up for a one-year extension for 3M.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Good, and the odds that you could have used it on an even better player are huge.

It's an overpayment to a team that needed to move him.

You can only work with what the market is. Huge how? Specific name. Who's the even better player they could get? Should they wait until the better player is available? You can wait forever and that guy is never there, because there's always a "potentially" better and ideal player available in the future, than the one you get.

That's just life. Should anyone ever marry anyone? There's almost certainly a better spouse for you out there than the one you have. The odds are huge.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
I understand some people here are all about hits and fights no matter what, but all things must be viewed in the context of value, and the value of this trade sucks
Exactly.

The player fills a need on paper, but the work behind the trade is just so shoddy.

Tampa got a 2nd round pick for a player that they didn't want on a deal that they HAD to move in order to get better.

Think Blake dealing Sean Durzi for just a 2nd in order to get the space to acquire Dubois. That was a legitimate 2nd pairing, young RHD on a cheap deal.

Contrast those two things for a second or two. Blake just does a lousy, lousy job.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Bolivia vs Panama
    Bolivia vs Panama
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $175.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • USA vs Uruguay
    USA vs Uruguay
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $682.00