Kings News: Kings acquire Tanner Jeanott from the Lightning

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
I understand why everyone is upset because the saying on here has always been "you can easily add grit later".

It's not easy. There is a cost to it because these type of guys are much rarer in today's NHL.

Lizzote is a better player but this is the type of player I've been wanting instead with those dollars. Hopefully he can provide a spark and drag a team into the fire that has shown for years that it is most comfortable in an exhibition game atmosphere.
Freaking Kurtis MacDermid is making over a million dollars a season and he averages 4 minutes of ice-time.

Like I'll gladly take Jeannot and his 2.5 over that.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
You can only work with what the market is. Huge how? Specific name. Who's the even better player they could get? Should they wait until the better player is available? You can wait forever and that guy is never there, because there's always a "potentially" better and ideal player available in the future, than the one you get.

That's just life. Should anyone ever marry anyone? There's almost certainly a better spouse for you out there than the one you have. The odds are huge.
You just don't pay any attention to anything about this sport, do you?

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Deal could've been better if there were conditions attached, especially since we know Tampa is desperately trying to cut salary to resign Stamkos. But honestly, having a player who will hit anything that moves and could protect the younger players, I can live with it.

Reactions: Surf Nutz and funky

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Yeah, the Kings need grit, but they need the whole team to be more physical. One player hitting isn't going to move the needle much if at all. Look at Englund this past year, he hits, he fights... Didn't really do much to change anything did it?

I expect Jeanott to have a similar affect on the roster. A decent amount of hits, a handful of fights and the Kings will continue to be one of the softest teams in the league.

A culture change is needed imo. Until that happens I don't see the needle moving much at all.
You are correct but it isn’t one player. Clarke is going to wind people up, Laf will mix it up a bit more if he gets backup, Thomas will drop them, Burroughs will be an option, Turcotte will bring energy… that’s going to start to shift the culture. It won’t happen overnight but it certainly changes the energy and intensity in the lineup. Englund can be more effective when he’s not doing it on his own. It is looooooong overdue though…. But it’s a start.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I think this is the most over-rated comment about future draft pick comp and absolutely horse crap. It's totally thrown around by fans as gospel.

In a sport like maybe he NFL where guys can come in and contribute immediately, i get it a bit and put some (not all) merit into that thinking. But in the NHL where guys are drafted and don't play for 3-7 years (except for maybe top 3-5 picks), this thinking makes zero sense.

The only real merit it has is that future picks mean less to the current GM because there is no certainty the GM will still be around. In a vacuum, the current GM only cares about now -- unless he is starting a rebuild. So screw the next guy. But over the long-term, this devaluing next years pick by a round is utterly horsecrap.

So it's not a fan thing, but a reality thing? This is how most GMs act. No GM cares about the next GM. Why would they? They're not married to the franchise. They have a job to do, which is to acquire talent to keep their job. Unless, as you say, they're conducting a total rebuild.

It's not horse crap if it's how the NHL functions. It's just reality. The Kings aren't rebuilding, they're trying to compete, so they'll do things in the service of that today. They don't care about 25-26, they don't care about 6 years from now. They're trying to compete next year.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
By the time that 2nd round pick next year would have developed in LA there will already be a new gm in that will want to clean house and draft his own players.
Anyways I think with guys Arvy and Roy leaving for nothing the team next year will be worse on paper talent wise.
But if Blake is bringing in guys like Jeanott and Burroughs it may be a more cohesive team with an identity than just a collection of players that are good on paper. Its not a bad trade just a little overpayment

MonkeysUncle

May 31, 2024
San Diego County
Imc

I can barely contain my shock at your take… you’d be complaining that Blake was sitting on his hands if he got picked up by someone else. All it needs is 2-3 interested parties and you get no one cheap.

It fills a clear need and the value will be determined by results. He’s a prime candidate for a strong bounce back with realistic expectations on what to expect from him.
Not a fan of player
There's zero optimism yesterday, did I miss something?

Nevertheless, these are the kind of guys you want to have when you have a young team or an old team. You need players like this and the Kings dont have any. If Jeannot is better than Grundstrom in production and he can injure a few guys then I dont see this as a problem at all. Kings have been way too soft for way too long.

Kings removed

PLD, Arvidsson, Roy, and Grundstrom. PLD who never engaged in anything. Arvidsson is an overrated midget. Roy is soft as hell, and Grundstrom throws "hits" but they're the softest hits and he plays with ZERO edge.

Kings added

Burroughs
Jeannot

On any team whether new or young this is an absolute necessity. I was foolish in the past to think you can just outskill these heavy hitting teams if you have the talent for it. Even then I assumed the NHL was going to rely less on hitting/aggression more and more.

I was flat out wrong like many on this matter, its more important than ever to add sandpaper that can score decently. If you have guys like Kopitar and Doughty who never stand up for their teammates as "leaders" then you HAVE To incorporate them into the line up some other way. Aggressive leaders have that quality imbue other players on their team but we dont have the luxury of that.
On Greentree for me

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
You just don't pay any attention to anything about this sport, do you?

damn-friday.gif

• Haha
Reactions: tigermask48

Guitpik

Jul 8, 2006
Buy-High Blake is at it again. Trading a fourth AND a second for a bottom six rental. Most likely could’ve been acquired for the fourth alone. If Jeanot can be re-signed at a team friendly cost, this trade could be salvaged.

But, look who we’re talking about…

Peter James Bond III

De-LUC-sional
Jul 8, 2020
Oh boy, he fights! The Cup is ours! Overpayment and bad asset management is shockingly, still overpayment and bad asset management at the end of the day.
'Bad asset management'
I see this as Blake protecting his assets, like Clarke...if you recall Clarke getting grabbed and challenged by Mark Stone last pre-season...Brandt looked scared shttless...if Jeannot was on the ice that time, he would have gone right after Stone. and we've seen Clarke ran in Ontario as well as Turcotte.

When opponents know Jeannot is on the ice, less liberties will be taken. He dealt with some inhuries the last few yrs. I expect him to play well and make a difference....maybe you'll see the team play with more courage. The playoffs this year was thuggery unlike I've never seen before....continuous. I honeslty don't like that and it takes away from the game...but more and more, it's a tactic and used, to punk other teams best players. The Kings need an answer....hey, 211 hits in 55 games?
And a player that had 24 goals *more than Iafallo could ever score, with line 1 deployment with Kopi...and 41 pts...one more than beloeved PLD's 40 last year.

I love the deal. Brandt Clarke will not be lookiing over hos shoulder every shift. That alone, is worth giving up the 2nd. I don't want to see him punked all night and even possibly get injured. Clarke plays with some needless taunting and antics and he shouldn't...I thibk he will be doung less of that, as he needs to. But he now has much needed protection. And would lhave ove a healthy a Jeannot in 2022 playoffs, when Nurse headbutted Danault. No one stood up for Phil. Jeannot probably would have all but killed Nurse.

The best answer to this acquistion, is to ask King players how they feel, about adding Jeannot.

unicornpig

Dec 8, 2017
if he puts up 10-10 and is wreaks havoc on other teams, its a win. some of yall crying for grit, finally get it then to proceed to cry more.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
So it's not a fan thing, but a reality thing? This is how most GMs act. No GM cares about the next GM. Why would they? They're not married to the franchise. They have a job to do, which is to acquire talent to keep their job. Unless, as you say, they're conducting a total rebuild.

It's not horse crap if it's how the NHL functions. It's just reality. The Kings aren't rebuilding, they're trying to compete, so they'll do things in the service of that today. They don't care about 25-26, they don't care about 6 years from now. They're trying to compete next year.
You are all over the place.
Why not trade every single pick for the next 3-4 years then. The GM works for the team and the betterment of the organization. Dumb GMs making selfish moves are doomed to be fired. Strategic moves based on your teams positioning and place is what makes a good GM and LT employee.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I’m a little ambivalent about it

On one hand, it’s overpaying for a need that you should have addressed at some point in the last, oh, decade

On the other, this is literally exactly the guy some people were clamoring for. How often does that happen around here?

I absolutely doubt we are getting his Nashville 20% shooting version. To me he just needs to be himself, play simple, hit the f*** out of people. He’ll get his chances on what’s actually a pretty young fast skilled bottom six, just go out there and create space.

But the term is good and bad. If he sucks, what a waste, and he’s gone. If he’s great, we probably can’t afford him going forward.

Looking at this one in a vacuum it’s not awful. Looking at it with the big picture it fits the pattern of overpaying for vets to block the youth.

We’ll see. But my bar for Blake is set so god damn low right now he just needs to fog a mirror for me to go “oh wow you didn’t shit your pants today nice”

bland

Jul 1, 2004
if he puts up 10-10 and is wreaks havoc on other teams, its a win. some of yall crying for grit, finally get it then to proceed to cry more.
It's not the type of player, at all. There is a need for his game.

It's that he paid twice as much as necessary to get him, he is overpaid by half, his contract is expiring, and Tampa absolutely had to move him AND didn't want to play him - and he is on a downswing in his career.

This is the prototypical Blake move. Spent too much on hope that all prevailing wisdom is wrong.

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
Let me see if I have it right, Blake decided to pay a 2nd and a 4th for a Carl Grundstrom that hits a little more, makes a 1.4 mill more, and all this right after he traded Grundy for what most of us are hoping is a 7 d-man?

That's the asset management I expect from Blake...
Paid extra to add much needed grit and both those guys will fight. I am more than okay with this. I likeGrundy but so inconsistent and he will be getting a raise.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
If he plays 80 games, he should have 300 hits. That's over 100 more than Englund last year.

At a minimum, the entertainment value has increased.

It is hilarious that Blake spent all these assets going for it the last few years with such a soft roster that had no chance of playoff success and now he's addressing it with more miles on 11 and 8's tires.

As a STH'er, I'm ecstatic to have a big body that lives for hitting. Our crowd sucks but, to be fair, there isn't anything to cheer for except goals or a big save. Need higher temp games to get the crowd engaged.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
You are all over the place.
Why not trade every single pick for the next 3-4 years then.

Because there's a cap and only so many players to go around? Everyone isn't available all the time for whatever crap you have to trade. Every player isn't a UFA every summer. There aren't two Matthew Tkachuk's in the league. There's one, and only one team can have him at any time. If it was up to Calgary, they'd still have him.

The GM works for the team and the betterment of the organization. Dumb GMs making selfish moves are doomed to be fired. Strategic moves based on your teams positioning and place is what makes a good GM and LT employee.

Every GM is doomed to be fired(other then Cupless David Poile). Unless they have some insane dictatorial influence, like Lamoriello. What has he done since he figured out a legal way for Stevens to stay in NJ? Because he never wanted to be a Devil. He wanted to fight against it. Lou eventually ran NJ into the ground, didn't stick around Toronto, and is currently not winning a Cup with the Islanders. Every coach is doomed to be fired, because players can't be trusted. Every player is doomed to age and retire one day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad