Kevin Lowe Appreciation Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
Hopefully it's goodbye Kevin, as of tomorrow. Didn't like you as a player, worse as a coach. Bad GM and abysmal as POHO.

Enjoy retirement and hope he has nothing to do with the Oilers Organization ever again.

P.S. Please take Howson, Bucky and MacT with you.

Consultant

Sep 12, 2010
I'm likely the last K. lowe fan left.
I bet there isn't another executive in the league that loves the his team as much as Kevin loves the Oilers, and perhaps that caused a few mistakes along the way. He bleds orange and blue and has done a lot of great things for our team. You can cherry pick his mistakes and I'd then cherry pick his great moves. But I think we can all respect his effort and passion. If he is moving along to another capacity I tip my hat to him. I hope he stays in the organization in some sort of advisor role. Second and third and fourth and fifth opinions are all fine in my books.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I don't understand people saying he didn't have much influence on the team since becoming POHO. He hired Steve Tambellini (an old pal from HC) and then Craig MacTavish without even interviewing anyone else. That is enough influence for one person to be fired without even looking at the other 8 years of garbage managing he was apart of.

psowrc

Feb 21, 2015
Hopefully it's goodbye Kevin, as of tomorrow. Didn't like you as a player, worse as a coach. Bad GM and abysmal as POHO.

Enjoy retirement and hope he has nothing to do with the Oilers Organization ever again.

P.S. Please take Howson, Bucky and MacT with you.

Did you actually watch him?

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
"Bobby Clarke will always be a Flyer. Bob Clarke will not."

Pretty much mirrors how I feel about Lowe.
Great comparison. Sums it up pretty well.

It's going to take a long time to forget about Kevin Lowe, the hockey executive. I'm not sure anybody will still remember Kevin Lowe, the player, by then.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
He came back when the other members of the OBC pretty much forgot about the organization, and he was loyal to the franchise through it's dark days. He also did some great work in 2006, and was a catalyst for that run with his fantastic acquisitions.

It's kind of sad that all that will be overshadowed by his attachment to his dumb friends though, but that's what happens with extremely loyal people I guess. Hopefully the damage he's caused to the franchise and his reputation with the fanbase can be healed by time, so he can once again be remembered for the good he contributed to the franchise, rather than the bad.

psowrc

Feb 21, 2015
Great comparison. Sums it up pretty well.

It's going to take a long time to forget about Kevin Lowe, the hockey executive. I'm not sure anybody will still remember Kevin Lowe, the player, by then.

Those of us who are actually old enough to remember him as a player will remember what he did.

oil slick

Feb 6, 2004
If it's true he's out, I'll be doing a dance of joy. It was an embarrassment to the city to have such an arrogant, unprofessional, self-aggrandizing, fool allowed anywhere the hockey team.

It will be a great day if he's actually turfed out.

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
Don't let the door hit you on your way out Kevin Lowe!

You are a disgrace to the city, the Oilers, and I hate you. I hate you for robbing us and this city 9 years of hockey. I will never forgive you.

Hit the pavement loser!

To be fair. There would be no McDavid if it wasn't for him! :)

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
Does this mean Kevin Lowe and Brian Burke will not give us the true Battle of Alberta in a barn somewhere? Or did it already happen and no-one sold tickets?

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
He came back when the other members of the OBC pretty much forgot about the organization, and he was loyal to the franchise through it's dark days. He also did some great work in 2006, and was a catalyst for that run with his fantastic acquisitions.

It's kind of sad that all that will be overshadowed by his attachment to his dumb friends though, but that's what happens with extremely loyal people I guess. Hopefully the damage he's caused to the franchise and his reputation with the fanbase can be healed by time, so he can once again be remembered for the good he contributed to the franchise, rather than the bad.

Give me a break the guy got offered a decade plus of a 6 figure salary, we all could be so greatful and bow down. If any out of work OBC member was offered they would have taken the reigns.

oilers2k10

Yak Don't Back Down
Mar 18, 2010
Does this mean Kevin Lowe and Brian Burke will not give us the true Battle of Alberta in a barn somewhere? Or did it already happen and no-one sold tickets?
Now wouldnt that be a great main event on a UFC prelims..

OnTheBrink

Apr 19, 2013
Airdrie
Dear Lowe ,
Thanks for the following....

The Final's Run
McDavid
Nugent-Hopkins
Hall
Eberle
Yakupov
Your time as a player

That is all .... now GTFO!

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Give me a break the guy got offered a decade plus of a 6 figure salary, we all could be so greatful and bow down. If any out of work OBC member was offered they would have taken the reigns.

Like who?

Gretzky? Who would only coach for 6 million a year, and got involved with franchises down near where he lived?

Messier? Who saw himself as a NYR until his falling out?

Kurri/Anderson/Coffey? None of whom have showed any interest in being in management? Hell, Sather brought Anderson back during his final games as a player, and he was pissed as all hell about it.

I get the Lowe hate, I'm not saying it's undeserved, I'm just saying I hope time heals the wounds and people can remember him in a positive light someday.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
The guy blew it back in 03' with Mike Comrie - team could have had Corey Perry, then ran his mouth about Bobby Ryan. He destroyed this teams image and reputation.

Exactly he always put his giant ego above the betterment of the team. This is a perfect example. :handclap:

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Those of us who are actually old enough to remember him as a player will remember what he did.
I'm part of the crowd that's old enough to remember him as a player. As far as I'm concerned though, what he's done as an executive has overshadowed that. As someone who spent his own glory years during that time I can easily remember and acknowledge what he contributed on the ice and how important it was. Those days have been over for a long time though. As much as I'm fed up with how he's operated this team in the last several years, I can't imagine how the under 30 crowd feels about him. These poor fans don't have the good memories to fall back on, just the arrogance and incompetence. That's all he's displayed for a long time.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Fantastic hockey player that will always have my respect for what he did on the ice and building the 06 team.

Since then - nothing but contempt.

Xelebes

Jun 10, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
Kevin Lowe is one of Edmonton's greatest assets that we can look forward to developing our talent, what with his ability to call out underperforming arena staff and negotiate terms that keep valuable players on the cheap, nevermind his astute observations that he dishes out in his press conferences. His professionalism is very difficult to beat with his knowledgable use of various social media platforms used in the most judicious manner. We salute you, Kevin! Here's to another decade of winning!

Pablo Aimar

Nov 28, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

I agree with all that. 2006 was the high point for many of us too young to really remember the dynasty. It's a shame the Pronger thing caused Lowe to go full tilt because he was a good GM before that.

psowrc

Feb 21, 2015
I'm part of the crowd that's old enough to remember him as a player. As far as I'm concerned though, what he's done as an executive has overshadowed that. As someone who spent his own glory years during that time I can easily remember and acknowledge what he contributed on the ice and how important it was. Those days have been over for a long time though. As much as I'm fed up with how he's operated this team in the last several years, I can't imagine how the under 30 crowd feels about him. These poor fans don't have the good memories to fall back on, just the arrogance and incompetence. That's all he's displayed for a long time.

Disagree...he was a great Oiler as a player. Is Doug Wilson a lesser player because of the shatfest in San Jose? Is Gretzky a hack because of his debacle in Phoenix?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad