Confirmed with Link: Kevin Hayes to Pens

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Are we even certain he's gonna be that bad? He had 56 points in 2022-23, on a trash team with defensive-minded Torts as coach.
Eller improved from his previous season here, at age 34. Letang was better at 36 than 35. Carter was better at 39 than 38.

Hayes is 32.

The issue is Hayes can not skate.

Those three can.

Hayes has also always been lazy. He's a country club guy. That's a big issue with this squad when you want hunger in the line-up.

I think the big positive is that there was nobody better on the UFA market that would sign for the cap hit and the term as a C.

Reactions: Dennis Reynolds

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Hayes is not a player I particularly like, as he's slow, and not physical at all, but i still don't mind this trade really. Should be a half decent bottom six center for us, and gives us another lottery ticket for next year, and who knows, if he does well you might be able to get another pick out of this at the deadline the year his deal is up. As for blowing it all up, Hextall pretty much made that impossible by giving everyone and their mother legacy contracts with trade protection.
can't wait to hear about "shutdown line" or PK warrior, anyways, if he flips him half retained I am fine, I still want to watch some remnance of exciting hockey while Sid and Geno are around

Reactions: Dennis Reynolds

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
if this is the direction why bother giving Sid, geno, letang contracts and why not trade them, thats how you collect assests (Jake trade for that matter was OK in theory) not by getting one second and still tease us with Sid and others...I don't understand, just blow everything up for some real assets and prospects, all you do with these medicre assts picking is making misery long long term.

The decision was made that the core should retire as Penguins. But the team is done making big swings to support them. The Karlsson move was the last one and maybe with a new PP coach it pans out. But from now on it's assets in and not assets out.

I get the frustration but the team isn't anywhere near good enough to go for it. It would be stupid.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
He definitely could bounce back.

Over a full season with pp2 duties. 15 goals 25 assists with let's say bad D is 100% possible.

We took him for a 2nd and for that I am down to watch him be good or bad.
It'll depend on injuries in the top-six. If we have a injury gnome year then he'll get moved up a lot and the points will go up.
If he's stuck on the 3rd line all year with 65-70% D-zone starts then it'll be tougher.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
I'm assuming our bottom 6 is going to be something like:

DOC Hayes Puustinen/Pulji
Gruden Eller Acciari

Smith out still leaves cap available to upgrade the wing situation.

LiffLaff

Crazy? Me?
Feb 22, 2010
Vardal
can't wait to hear about "shutdown line" or PK warrior, anyways, if he flips him half retained I am fine, I still want to watch some remnance of exciting hockey while Sid and Geno are around
I want that too, but I have a feeling this is the first step in starting the rebuild (second if you count the Jake trade), so I'm not expecting anything other than pain for a while sadly.

Reactions: vodeni

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
The issue is Hayes can not skate.

Those three can.

Hayes has also always been lazy. He's a country club guy. That's a big issue with this squad when you want hunger in the line-up.

I think the big positive is that there was nobody better on the UFA market that would sign for the cap hit and the term as a C.
Who cares? They were gonna lose quickly anyway, Hayes or not. If he sucks then we draft higher.
This is a free 2nd, and he potentially can be traded again for another pick.
If the cost is 3.5M x 2 for that, that makes all the sense in the world in our situation.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Who cares? They were gonna lose quickly anyway, Hayes or not. If he sucks then we draft higher.
This is a free 2nd, and he potentially can be traded again for another pick.
If the cost is 3.5M x 2 for that, that makes all the sense in the world in our situation.

I mean, I’m responding to points you made about the player so obviously you cared because you brought it up.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Pros: Second rounder for doing business, nothing given up, you get a potentially 40ish point bottom sixer at 3.5 for short term, could theoretically flip for more down the line

Cons: ya'll forget Sullivan coaches here and Hayes will be viewed as a top-tier piece on this team and will be relentlessly run into the ground even if he's abjectly mediocre at the very best, Hayes is a slow, somewhat lazy player with limited offense who doesn't really profile well to a depth line IMO, blocks the youth we all keep hearing about, are 2nd rounders actually good again, now? You guys keep changing your mind on that lol

I get that it's a rebuilding team move yadda yadda. Fair enough. But I'll pass on the cope, thanks. This is at best a "whatever" move on a well run, well-coached team. On this team you guys will be howling for him to be shipped out by game 40.

EDIT: Maybe worst of all... yet another utterly unexciting, bland, hardly-know-he's-there player for this roster making them even more a chore to try watching butcher the sport. Hooray.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Pros: Second rounder for doing business, nothing given up, you get a potentially 40ish point bottom sixer at 3.5 for short term, could theoretically flip for more down the line

Cons: ya'll forget Sullivan coaches here and Hayes will be viewed as a top-tier piece on this team and will be relentlessly run into the ground even if he's abjectly mediocre at the very best, Hayes is a slow, somewhat lazy player with limited offense who doesn't really profile well to a depth line IMO, blocks the youth we all keep hearing about, are 2nd rounders actually good again, now? You guys keep changing your mind on that lol

I get that it's a rebuilding team move yadda yadda. Fair enough. But I'll pass on the cope, thanks. This is at best a "whatever" move on a well run, well-coached team. On this team you guys will be howling for him to be shipped out by game 40.

Yep this move unless we move both of Acciari and Eller is 100% blocking Ponomarev and Poulin.

Further evidence that Dubas straight up does not have a plan.

GilbertSeinfeld

Mar 4, 2024

Wow, game 40?

When did Pens fans get so patient?

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
This is awful. I bet some of you wankers woke up seeing that and wondered why Hextall did that, oh wait it was Dubas. No wait. It's a fellow Masshole for Sullivan and Quinn.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012

EDIT: Maybe worst of all... yet another utterly unexciting, bland, hardly-know-he's-there player for this roster making them even more a chore to try watching butcher the sport. Hooray.
In the last 5 years Hayes has hit 40+ twice and isn't durable at all. Not only that you assume 40+ because likely Sullivan has a hard on for vets and will over use them like he did Carter in the bottom 6. Hayes has direct Quinn ties and all 3 are Boston losers.

Interesting trade by Mike Sullivan via his puppet Dubas.

Reactions: Gurglesons

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
In the last 5 years Hayes has hit 40+ twice and isn't durable at all. Not only that you assume 40+ because likely Sullivan has a hard on for vets and will over use them like he did Carter in the bottom 6. Hayes has direct Quinn ties and all 3 are Boston losers.

Interesting trade by Mike Sullivan via his puppet Dubas.

I think Hayes is a 30ish point player, realistically. And that's even taking into consideration the inevitably of Sullivan trying to shoehorn him into the top six and top powerplay next season. I'm just trying to be even-handed.

Reactions: Kruzer31

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
I think Hayes is a 30ish point player, realistically. And that's even with inevitably when Sullivan tries to shoehorn him into the top six and top powerplay next season. I'm just trying to be even-handed.
It's a bad deal mate. We can hate it because we should.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
This is the kind of meh move that I didn't want but fully expected. He got a 2nd for a player that actually improves this team, even if it's only marginally and there's better value for the cap hit out there.

Go pull off a Laine for Smith trade and this season becomes interesting.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
I'm assuming our bottom 6 is going to be something like:

DOC Hayes Puustinen/Pulji
Gruden Eller Acciari

Smith out still leaves cap available to upgrade the wing situation.

Paying quite a lot of money for an awful lot of meh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad