Confirmed with Link: Kevin Hayes to Pens

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
I really like what Dubas did with the Jake trade. But he is still way too passive for my liking. This roster needs a major shakeup and they also need to stop adding crusty vets that are very passive.

NUKE SULLY

Reactions: farscape1

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
Eller would still be our 3C or at least see who is the better of the 2 for 3C.

Not a fast skater, not physical, not a forechecker.

He fits right in with this team then. :facepalm:
Yeah for some reason I totally spaced on Eller’s existence.

I guess they’re gonna run LW-Eller-Hayes as our third line.

• Haha
Reactions: farscape1

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Fine taking him on for a 2nd. Its just going to suck watching him play 24 mins a night as the new Carter for the next 2 years and he seems like a giant tool bag.

We need to consistently be making these moves, though. Just commit to a rebuild or go all in. This middle ground is stupid and prolonging the pain.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
You're forgetting his production was only that because of top 6 minutes. He's not getting that here
Well that's a coaching issue, not a Hayes issue.
At 3.5M he can still play up to that cap hit in the role they give him though. That's pretty attainable.
With DOC improving and Puustinen as wings, that's not a terrible linemate situation.

Reactions: Hell Yeah!!!

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Problem is that he's gonna get a more defensive role, which is not his fault.
And again, that is exactly why this deal makes no sense and this org has learned nothing.
This is lateral at best from Eller in what his usage will look like as a Penguin.

This is like if you molded the Granlund trade and Carter extension into one deal and made the guy an even bigger douchebag asshole.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
The Blues just did what the Pens should do and traded a 4th for Texier, but no, we have to take their older, outdated, slower model for 2 more years who costs more.

Sometimes moves are not worth the risk, But you people say it's a free 2nd....

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
Lol I had no idea people hated Kevin Hayes (as a person).

What am I missing?

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Well that's a coaching issue, not a Hayes issue.
At 3.5M he can still play up to that cap hit in the role they give him though. That's pretty attainable.
With DOC improving and Puustinen as wings, that's not a terrible linemate situation.
You act like you've never seen Mike Sullivan coach this team.

Lol I had no idea people hated Kevin Hayes (as a person).

What am I missing?
Yeah I just saw that in the other main thread about him being a negative influence. No clue what is up with that.

Reactions: Trade

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I really like what Dubas did with the Jake trade. But he is still way too passive for my liking. This roster needs a major shakeup and they also need to stop adding crusty vets that are very passive.

NUKE SULLY
Ownership is giving orders regarding Crosby - Malkin - Letang's end of their careers here in just this way.

And honestly they are owed that.

So "compete" but without selling the farm because of the reality of where the core of this team is in their careers.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
He and his spittin chiclets bros adamantly denied that’s true.

To be fair so did Torts.
Where there's smoke there's...... Sullivan and Quinn convincing Dubas to trade for the douchebag.

For what it's worth, I also remember something off-ice about Hayes during that weird little tenure he had in Winnipeg

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Ownership is giving orders regarding Crosby - Malkin - Letang's end of their careers here in just this way.

And honestly they are owed that.

So "compete" but without selling the farm because of the reality of where the core of this team is in their careers.
They're not competing, merely existing

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
And what is the alternative if none of the core, or ownership, wants a total rebuild?

This by far is the best option.
Keep your core and surround them with young pitbulls. It worked in 95. Guys like Roche, Diezic, Tamer.......... cost little, add little other rosters and provide energy/ cap space.

The Carters/Hayes/Accaris are exactly the wrong type of players that should be on this roster.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
3.5 for a 3C seems fine to me. He can probably still slide up into the top 6 on occasion, just not regularly. Smith - Hayes - Whoever is a pretty solid 3rd line. Won’t hurt you defensively, can chip in offensively, and we don’t really care about their feelings if they get a lot of D zone starts, tough match-ups, limited PP time, etc.

Puustinen was good there down the stretch, start him on the RW for some speed to offset Hayes and to put some pucks on net.

Hell Yeah!!!

Mar 11, 2007
ATL
Ah shit, this does it, I thought we were going to be a Cup Contender...hopes dashed. :laugh:

While re-arranging deck chairs on the titanic, might as well pick up some picks, I'll take it!

Last edited:
Reactions: AuroraBorealis

PenguinSuitedUp

Sponsor
Oct 2, 2019
This was my absolute unwavering belief for a long time. Maybe even still because I love those guys and they did literally EVERYTHING for this franchise. They patched all the holes... made it all happen... overcame a lot of mismanagement, poor coaching and years of subpar linemates.

But THIS is what they chose to do with those years? If that's the case I wish they'd have just let Malkin and Letang move on to serious-minded teams where they could still help and actually compete for something real outside of "team who loves their head coach the bestest! <3 <3 <3"
This franchise has gone through two management changes and an ownership change in a short period of time. We all knew and acknowledged that this franchise was about to go through a decline. Now we’re going through it and everyone’s having trouble accepting it in the moment. Let’s have some patience and grace, watch our stars finish their legacies and give Dubas more than a year’s worth of moves before declaring him an abject failure.

And again, Malkin and Letang’s legacy with the team transcends all else. You don’t let them walk or wish for them to have walked because of a couple bad years after 17(?) straight years as a playoff team with 4 Cup runs and 3 championships. It’s a very reactionary, short-sided, and privileged approach that lacks perspective and appreciation for what these guys have done for the franchise, as well as the success this franchise has brought its fans. These guys need to retire with the team and have statues of them put outside the arena.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Hayes under Berube: 28 games 14pts (8 goals).
Hayes under Bannister: 15pts in 51 games (5 goals).

Sullivan sure as shit isn't Berube.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I mean we paid Miro Satan 3.5.... but on a younger fast/energetic team. This team is old and boring. Hayes is exactly what we do not need.

Reactions: Kruzer31

PenguinSuitedUp

Sponsor
Oct 2, 2019

NUKE SULLY
If only there was one trade that could solve everything. Calling Dubas passive less than a year after the Karlsson trade and before the second offseason starts is a complete mischaracterization of his tenure here.

Reactions: Turin

Ad

Ad

Ad