Confirmed with Link: Kevin Hayes to Pens

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

PenguinSuitedUp

Sponsor
Oct 2, 2019
When players of Crosby, Malkin, and Letang’s stature are home grown, have won multiple championships, won many personal accolades with the team, are HOF bound, and have become franchise icons who bring in millions of revenue dollars each year, and they want to finish their careers with the franchise, you keep them. It’s such a no-brainer.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Dude, that's literally been our team for years. Yeah, this - i.e. Sullivan basically running this team (and having a huge say in players) is exactly why I checked out.

I'll watch a few games for Sid, Geno, and Letang but ...
This trade literally confirms it for anyone doubting who runs this team.

I think the funniest shit I read was this...

Nobody's entitled to the position that they're in on any respective team in the league. That's pro sports.

Performance matters, and ultimately, performance will always be the dictator.

That's Mike Sullivan yesterday. Gee Mike, does that also count for you? Is multiple first round failures and missing the playoffs a dictator of a lack of performance for a coach you stupid f***ing :eek::eek::eek::eek:?

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Not only that, but slower as well.

This team's actions rarely seem to match their words. "We want to get younger and faster" and then go out and acquire the exact opposite of that.
I'd have believed that if they got Roslovic for the 3c.

Kevin Hayes? No way that's a player Dubas had on his radar. But we all know Sullivan and Quinn did.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
They acquired a future draft pick. Hayes is the boat anchor that future asset cost.
That's what teams who are rebuilding and have cap space to blow do, not teams that insist they're still trying to win as long as Sid/Geno are still playing.

I just wish this team would pick a lane. Rebuild? Then get rid of all the older players. "Going for it"? Then add players who will help, not hinder that. This middle ground bullshit is the worst of both worlds because we're never bad enough to land a future star at the draft, but never good enough to actually make noise (or make the playoffs).

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
In the last 5 years Hayes has hit 40+ twice and isn't durable at all. Not only that you assume 40+ because likely Sullivan has a hard on for vets and will over use them like he did Carter in the bottom 6. Hayes has direct Quinn ties and all 3 are Boston losers.
You're forgetting or ignoring the shortened years, when looking at durability and points. He played full seasons in 4 of the last 5 years. Only missed 4 games the last 2 seasons combined.
He averages 46 points per 82 played the last 5 years. If that's the level of play he can bring here, he's totally fine at 3.5M.
Problem is that he's gonna get a more defensive role, which is not his fault.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
When players of Crosby, Malkin, and Letang’s stature are home grown, have won multiple championships, won many personal accolades with the team, are HOF bound, and have become franchise icons who bring in millions of revenue dollars each year, and they want to finish their careers with the franchise, you keep them. It’s such a no-brainer.

This was my absolute unwavering belief for a long time. Maybe even still because I love those guys and they did literally EVERYTHING for this franchise. They patched all the holes... made it all happen... overcame a lot of mismanagement, poor coaching and years of subpar linemates.

But THIS is what they chose to do with those years? If that's the case I wish they'd have just let Malkin and Letang move on to serious-minded teams where they could still help and actually compete for something real outside of "team who loves their head coach the bestest! <3 <3 <3"

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
We need picks. STL have us a 2nd to take his contact off their hands.

If he's bad, we can flip him.
Why do people keeping thinking that we can flip him? Especially if he is bad?

It is what it is. And the move is a reflection of where the team is. If we get any use out of him it is gravy.

My expectations aren't high though.

A team is PAYING us to take him. And some think that we can flip him for something back? Not unless things change.

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
You're forgetting or ignoring the shortened years, when looking at durability and points. He played full seasons in 4 of the last 5 years. Only missed 4 games the last 2 seasons combined.
He averages 46 points per 82 played the last 5 years. If that's the level of play he can bring here, he's totally fine at 3.5M.
Problem is that he's gonna get a more defensive role, which is not his fault.
You're forgetting his production was only that because of top 6 minutes. He's not getting that here and he's not quick.

His biggest issue was always consistency and that's even with Rangers and Flyers giving him decent wingers.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Even knowing Hayes kinda sucks, I can see the logic in theory. You lacked depth scoring last year and at his best he's a play driving C. Pair him with a couple of younger wingers who have offensive instincts but don't create much on their own like DOC and Puusy and maybe it works. You get a second and it's a relatively low risk contract. He's also the best top 6 option at C if Crosby or Malkin miss any time.

Then you remember Mike Sullivan is still the coach and will square peg round hole him into being a shutdown C.

I don't get why people are so eager to trade Eller now, though. Eller was fantastic last year and is even better suited for 4C. They should be trying to dump Accairi if they need to clear cap space.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
You're forgetting his production was only that because of top 6 minutes. He's not getting that here and he's not quick.

His biggest issue was always consistency and that's even with Rangers and Flyers giving him decent wingers.

Oh... he'll be getting top six minutes here lol... and top powerplay time. It'll be ugly but that'll definitely be a thing.

• Haha
Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Eller would still be our 3C or at least see who is the better of the 2 for 3C.

Not a fast skater, not physical, not a forechecker.

He fits right in with this team then. :facepalm:
Hayes-Eller as 3/4 C isn’t completely awful. Hayes is more of a soft playmaker and Eller is more of a shoot first defensive guy with more grit.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Why do people keeping thinking that we can flip him? Especially if he is bad?

It is what it is. And the move is a reflection of where the team is. If we get any use out of him it is gravy.

My expects aren't high though.

A team is PAYING us to take him. And some think that we can flip him for something back? Not unless things change.
Blues had to attach a second to get rid of him and blokes think the Pens are gonna flip him next? Lol.

He has ties to Quinn and is basically the type Sullivan wants in a 3c yet never succeeds in using them correctly.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Even knowing Hayes kinda sucks, I can see the logic in theory. You lacked depth scoring last year and at his best he's a play driving C. Pair him with a couple of younger wingers who have offensive instincts but don't create much on their own like DOC and Puusy and maybe it works. You get a second and it's a relatively low risk contract. He's also the best top 6 option at C if Crosby or Malkin miss any time.

Then you remember Mike Sullivan is still the coach and will square peg round hole him into being a shutdown C.

I don't get why people are so eager to trade Eller now, though. Eller was fantastic last year and is even better suited for 4C. They should be trying to dump Accairi if they need to clear cap space.
Trading Acciari and Smith and replacing them with younger guys would be good business.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Oh... he'll be getting top six minutes here lol... and top powerplay time. It'll be ugly but that'll definitely be a thing.
It wouldn't shock me. Sullivan sees the size and thinks Hayes will use it. Because Sullivan doesn't scout. He just uses players for what he feels they're best suited for in his mind.

Trading Acciari and Smith and replacing them with younger guys would be good business.
I think most of us thought Smith would have been dealt with already.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Hayes is a mediocre player, but it's a free draft pick. Get used to this kind of trade; the rebuild is starting.
Exactly right! Just gotta make these picks count. At least a good number of the high picks moving forward.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Blues had to attach a second to get rid of him and blokes think the Pens are gonna flip him next? Lol.

He has ties to Quinn and is basically the type Sullivan wants in a 3c yet never succeeds in using them correctly.
How many times have we seen this exact deal man? This org will never learn. Holy shit man, we just allocated 3.6 million to current day Kevin Hayes for the last decent years of Sid-Geno

• Haha

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
A player is so bad his former team has to pay the Penguins a pick they'll likely use to draft the next Noah Welch to take him and get nothing back in return.

Penguins fans: "This is actually pretty awesome! lol you guys need to face reality!"

Reactions: Zbynek

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad