News and Blog Report: Training camp & Preseason News & Notes

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I'd assume Janmark and Pod are penciled in at #3/#4LW, but Lavoie being able to play LW would let them use Janmark at #4C which is probably a huge upgrade on the alternatives.

Seems kind of counterintuitive to break up the third line, but if Lavoie wins a spot, that might be the best bottom six they could ice.
How exactly is Janmark an upgrade over Ryan as 4C?
Call him small, old, slow but Ryan will just continue to work his ass off. The coach knows it, the players know it.. Ryan is as valuable as Brown, Janmark and Henrique in our bottom 6 if not more.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
How exactly is Janmark an upgrade over Ryan as 4C?
Call him small, old, slow but Ryan will just continue to work his ass off. The coach knows it, the players know it.. Ryan is as valuable as Brown, Janmark and Henrique in our bottom 6 if not more.
Because Janmark is a better player

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Cup contenders don't gamble on some kid who has played 30 NHL games total, being able to play top 4 minutes

all our hopes are tied with Emberson…

Are we talking about Emberson or Broberg… just checking ;)

If it’s Broberg, yeah, all of our hopes would be tied there.

With Emberson we have 2 times ~$4.5M in cap flexibility. One player can be added with our $945 growing to ~4.5 at the deadline…

Then LTIR Kane and use his ~$5M on another new addition.

Nobody is tied to Emberson. He gives us huge cap flexibility.

Broberg did not.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Remaining Players at Camp:

RNH-McDavid-Hyman
Skinner-Draisaitl-Arvidsson
Janmark-Henrique-Brown
Podkolzin-Ryan-Perry
Hamblin-Philp-Lavoie
Hoffman-Pederson-Caggiula

Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-Emberson
Kulak-Brown
Dermott-Stecher
Gleason-Kemp

Skinner
Pickard
Delia
Rodrigue

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I've been mulling over whether or not we should sent Philp down as it seems the sensible thing both given his time away from the game, but also waiver exemption, but I've decided we should keep him up, he's outplayed all of his direct competitors and he checks the boxes of the things we need Right handed, good on the draw, sound defensively, and should be an asset on the PK.

We also got off to a rough start last year and definitely don't want to repeat that as it is taxing playing catch up and we also had a short summer, so I think putting our best foot forward out the gate should be the plan.

My opening night 4th line would be Podkolzin - Philp - Perry; while one could fairly argue Lavoie outplayed Perry in the preseason, players like Perry don't tend to lose their spot based on pre-season it will have to be on regular season performance and also Podz and Philp are inexperienced so having a mentor for the line isn't the worst idea.

My opinion on Hoffman is he's looked good enough to earn a contract, but I don't think he fills any need on this team, we don't need more one-way scorers who aren't great away from the puck, I'd skip on him. With respect to Dermott, I've liked Gleason's game more than him and while I think his game is a bit more polished than Dineen I can't say he's demonstrated he is strictly better, I'd lean to not signing him, but also you can't have too much D depth, so it wouldn't be the worst thing if we did.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Perry doesn’t deserve a spot on this roster. His biggest ‘contribution’ last year was yelling at Kane. He should have saved some of that hot air to help propel himself down the ice more quickly. I was a fan who wanted Perry here back the year he went to Montreal. However his performance has been a huge letdown and it seems obvious we got him two or three seasons too late. He needs to be waived. Sell him on that sweet California lifestyle. It will be just like going home. In the AHL he may actually be a useful mentor. Here he’s just hogging a spot that someone else could better fill.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I've been mulling over whether or not we should sent Philp down as it seems the sensible thing both given his time away from the game, but also waiver exemption, but I've decided we should keep him up, he's outplayed all of his direct competitors and he checks the boxes of the things we need Right handed, good on the draw, sound defensively, and should be an asset on the PK.

We also got off to a rough start last year and definitely don't want to repeat that as it is taxing playing catch up and we also had a short summer, so I think putting our best foot forward out the gate should be the plan.

My opening night 4th line would be Podkolzin - Philp - Perry; while one could fairly argue Lavoie outplayed Perry in the preseason, players like Perry don't tend to lose their spot based on pre-season it will have to be on regular season performance and also Podz and Philp are inexperienced so having a mentor for the line isn't the worst idea.
I feel the same about Philp. Pleasant surprise.

Where, if anywhere, do you see Ryan fitting on this roster? I thought Perry would be a bigger difference maker on this roster, but that has not been the case.

I'd keep Ryan over Perry for that 4th line at this time.

Reactions: smokersarejokers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad