Value of: Kevin Fiala and Matt Dumba

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Not a fan of either team, but what about this….

To MIN: 4th OA, Soucy (50% retained)

To SEA: Fiala, Dumba

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
speaking of Fiala....

Most everybody I talk to believes the front runner in the Fiala sweepstakes is New Jersey, for two reasons. One, Fiala looks as if he could be a good fit alongside fellow Swiss player Nico Hischier, a core piece going forward for the Devils. Two, the Devils have the necessary cap space to give Fiala the raise that he’ll need in order to forego free agency and sign a long-term extension. They also have the draft capital/young players needed to make a deal happen.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Assuming Letang walks I would be very interested in Dumba.

21OA, Pettersson, 2023 2nd for Dumba?

Pettersson signed for 3 more years but is a serviceable 5D. Wild save $ and get some good picks

Joseph Nathan

Feb 11, 2022
Minnesota declines dumba trade. Dumba is most likely to be resigned for cheap being he just bought a home in Minnesota and moved in with his fiance. Guerin, wild gm also give a hint he's not moving dumba

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
Faber + Vilardi + 2nd or Faber + 1st

Wild could use a RHD to go with all the LHD in the system and some futures

Kings get a PPG wing who is sure to find a fit with one of Danault, Kopitar, Turcotte or Byfield. Losing Faber stings less with their other RHD options

Fiala is the opposite of what Blake is looking for
He is looking for Size and speed.

If the Kings wanted Fiala, it would have happened at the deadline

Sorry, Fiala would fetch a better return from another team

• Haha
Reactions: TheGroceryStick

BuiumSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
"I traded our ppg winger for one year of Andreas Johsson and a bunch of futures that probably don't play meaningful NHL games," said no GM that wants to keep his job.
This seems to be the template a lot of devils fans are working off of:

There is a contingent of devils’ fans that know what it would take to acquire Fiala, and most of them seem like they are fine passing

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
"I traded our ppg winger for one year of Andreas Johsson and a bunch of futures that probably don't play meaningful NHL games," said no GM that wants to keep his job.
Or that Johnsson fills in a gap in the top 9, Stillman is a pretty good prospect not Mercer or Holtz and most Minnesota fans want to trust Brackett and get him more picks to work with.

They've picked Khusnutdinov, O'Rourke and Peart out of the second round. While I have been critical, those aren't bad picks.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

There is a contingent of devils’ fans that know what it would take to acquire Fiala, and most of them seem like they are fine passing

I would not put it past Guerin to botch an important trade this badly, but if he thinks the radio interviews are tense now...

I'm more pessimistic than most about what the likely return will be, but there needs to be at least one piece of actual meat in this stew.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Or that Johnsson fills in a gap in the top 9, Stillman is a pretty good prospect not Mercer or Holtz and most Minnesota fans want to trust Brackett and get him more picks to work with.

They've picked Khusnutdinov, O'Rourke and Peart out of the second round. While I have been critical, those aren't bad picks.
In that recent post-Barreiro interview Guerin as much as says that a.) he's trading Fiala, and b.) part of the upside to that trade will be opening up room for younger players. The "gap" that is being filled by Johnsson is one they've pretty clearly have filled internally, even if they don't want to state it directly. With all that in mind, mid-tier roster players like Johnsson would have negative value here.

More generally, they need to be aiming higher than a yard sale grab box of "not too bad."

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
In that recent post-Barreiro interview Guerin as much as says that a.) he's trading Fiala, and b.) part of the upside to that trade will be opening up room for younger players. The "gap" that is being filled by Johnsson is one they've pretty clearly have filled internally, even if they don't want to state it directly. With all that in mind, mid-tier roster players like Johnsson would have negative value here.

More generally, they need to be aiming higher than a yard sale grab box of "not too bad."
I think it is Rossi specifically who will be replacing Fiala.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I think it is Rossi specifically who will be replacing Fiala.
Agreed, which may or may not work as well at they like. But going from Fiala to an ELC seems to be something they've been counting on with the rest of their moves. I strongly doubt they'll have any appetite for a $3m+ stopgap like Johnsson (or Connor Brown or a few other similar names I've seen thrown into these conversations).

Reactions: Digitalbooya

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
the problem with the Devils fit re: Fiala is he is not worth 2nd overall.

Whether hes worth Holtz straight up? He very well may be, but most Devils fans probably wouldnt do it.

Past that, its going to be Voltron-type packages that we can offer which the Wild (rightfully) arent going to like

Golden Gophers 4649

Minnesota Hockey Fan
Jun 15, 2015
Minneapolis
Am I the only Wild fan who feels Guerin's comments about Fiala and Dumba are a smoke screen in hopes of getting more value for Dumba. Dumba played well in the playoffs and he's a warrior but scorers like Fiala are tough to find. Not to mention by 2023-24 the Wild will need roster space for O'Rourke, Hunt, Lambos, Addison etc. meaning Dumba will likely be allowed to walk as a UFA.

IAHockey25

Feb 20, 2019
Am I the only Wild fan who feels Guerin's comments about Fiala and Dumba are a smoke screen in hopes of getting more value for Dumba. Dumba played well in the playoffs and he's a warrior but scorers like Fiala are tough to find. Not to mention by 2023-24 the Wild will need roster space for O'Rourke, Hunt, Lambos, Addison etc. meaning Dumba will likely be allowed to walk as a UFA.

Yes I think you might be the only one who thinks he wants to keep Fiala over Dumba. Can we afford 6x8 even if Dumba is gone?

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ

You do realize that’s a joke tweet, right? They also said this:

They’re just trolling and trying to stir the pot.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Stillman, Johnsson, 2nd round pick in 2022 and 2023 for Kevin Fiala
Take out an "S" in that offer and I'm down.... I don't think they have a "Tillman".

Pretty much, ya. If he is playing that game, then my estimation of him goes way, way up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad