Value of: Kevin Fiala and Matt Dumba

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Fiala to LA for their 1st, Gabe Vilardi and Jarret Anderson Dolan. If you needed an offensive RD Sean Walker could be in there too.
I know Vilardi's draft pedigree is high, but I have more or less written him off as having any high end C potential. the fact that he is included as a throw in to this deal leads me to believe i am not wrong. As of now, MN has a lot of middle six and lower C's on mostly low cap hits. Gaudreau, Hartman, JEE, Jost, Dewar, Rossi. I would think that a team like SEA or ARI would value him more.

LAK need to be thinking of players like Turcotte/Faber to add with their 1st if they want Fiala(signed), if not more, although i am far from certain that Turcotte is going to be anything but a disappointment. A 17th is nice, but doesn't have nearly the value of a 7th. Something like;

2022 1st, Faber, 2023 2nd.

I’d definitely do this from a Wild perspective. Perfect duo of players for the next 3 years.
I strongly disagree. Zacha gives us nothing that we don't already have.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don't think there's much chance that we see them take back a roster player back for Fiala, at least not one with much of a cap hit.

The rumor has been (and it makes sense) that management's plan is to slot Rossi into Fiala's spot with Boldy and Gaudreau next year. That lets him start at wing with a center that the coach trusts, but should give them flexibility to move him to the middle when/if he's ready for it.

Zuccarello - Hartman - Kaprizov
Greenway - Ek - Foligno
Rossi - Gaudreau - Boldy

So based on that and how the team has handled prospect promotions, swapping Fiala for Holtz probably puts Holtz in Iowa next year.

This leaves nowhere for a player like Zacha, who will probably need $3m+ on an extension and can't play center.
Exactly. Zacha has zero value for MN. They've got the depth players right now, and very inexpensive depth players.

One other thing. If Fiala is more or less a sure thing to be traded, then why is Dumba being traded? Trading Fiala should solve MN's cap dilemma. As of now, they have nothing behind Spurgeon at RHD if MN trades Dumba. The only way I trade Dumba is if it allows MN to keep Fiala.

Maybe trade Dumba at the TDL if they can't come to an agreement on a new contract, and Addison looks good next year.

Last edited:

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
If Ottawa could discuss extensions for both, I'd consider something around both for 7th overall and Pinto.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
If Ottawa could discuss extensions for both, I'd consider something around both for 7th overall and Pinto.
I get it from OTT's POV, but IMO MN would need significant adds coming their way. I just don't see how Pinto in rated so highly, with so small and unremarkable of a sample size. Reminds me of the White hype a few years ago.

If Dumba is traded then MN is more or less giving up on next year, which i don't see happening after finishing 5th oa last year, and having Kaprizov in his prime for only 4 more years.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
I get it from OTT's POV, but IMO MN would need significant adds coming their way. I just don't see how Pinto in rated so highly, with so small and unremarkable of a sample size. Reminds me of the White hype a few years ago.

If Dumba is traded then MN is more or less giving up on next year, which i don't see happening after finishing 5th oa last year, and having Kaprizov in his prime for only 4 more years.

I was simply going by what the thread was offering. I agree with you though.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Exactly. Zacha has zero value for MN. They've got the depth players right now, and very inexpensive depth players.

One other thing. If Fiala is more or less a sure thing to be traded, then why is Dumba being traded? Trading Fiala should solve MN's cap dilemma. As of now, they have nothing behind Spurgeon at RHD if MN trades Dumba. The only way I trade Dumba is if it allows MN to keep Fiala.

Maybe trade Dumba at the TDL if they can't come to an agreement on a new contract, and Addison looks good next year.

I’d much rather have a guy playing on Kap’s line that can win 50% of draws or more. Hartman has been a nice fill-in, but he’s not a long-term solution.

Reactions: JUSTGIROUXIT

verbalkint47

Heroes and Villans
Aug 12, 2009
Emerald State
I know Vilardi's draft pedigree is high, but I have more or less written him off as having any high end C potential. the fact that he is included as a throw in to this deal leads me to believe i am not wrong. As of now, MN has a lot of middle six and lower C's on mostly low cap hits. Gaudreau, Hartman, JEE, Jost, Dewar, Rossi. I would think that a team like SEA or ARI would value him more.

LAK need to be thinking of players like Turcotte/Faber to add with their 1st if they want Fiala(signed), if not more, although i am far from certain that Turcotte is going to be anything but a disappointment. A 17th is nice, but doesn't have nearly the value of a 7th. Something like;

2022 1st, Faber, 2023 2nd.
Change the 2nd to a 3rd and done from the Kings

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Faber + Vilardi + 2nd or Faber + 1st

Wild could use a RHD to go with all the LHD in the system and some futures

Kings get a PPG wing who is sure to find a fit with one of Danault, Kopitar, Turcotte or Byfield. Losing Faber stings less with their other RHD options

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Buffalo <-- Fiala (extended), Dumba (extended)

Minnesota <-- #9, #16, #28

Sabres get a 1st line calibre winger, and a top pairing calibre Dman

Minnesota add 3 1st round picks without having to take back any salary

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I think Vilardi, Faber, and a 2nd for Fiala is a good trade for both teams. Fiala would be a really good add for LA and Faber would love to play for the Wild. Minnesota just might be crazy enough to give Vilardi top-six minutes, too. Imagine that!

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
fiala , dewar

13TH overall , bellows
Make it Raty instead of Bellows and I pull the trigger. NYI's left wingers (Wahlstrom, Bellows, Beauvillier, etc) are not really of interest. We need quality center prospects in order to not pull the trigger on another trade (#7 from Ottawa for example).

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Faber + Vilardi + 2nd or Faber + 1st

Wild could use a RHD to go with all the LHD in the system and some futures

Kings get a PPG wing who is sure to find a fit with one of Danault, Kopitar, Turcotte or Byfield. Losing Faber stings less with their other RHD options
You must be really high on Faber. I don't like either of these deals compared to other offers thrown out there.

• Haha
Reactions: MNRube

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin

If Minnesota was willing to go through the next three years of dead cap with a quick rebuild this would be the type of trade to signify that.

Gives Brackett and Co four 1st round picks and all will be in the 21/22 year old range when the Parise/Suter buyout cap hits drastically reduce in 25-26. Combo that with Boldy/Rossi/Wallstedt/Lambos and that could be a really solid core with Kaprizov going forward

Guerin absolutely loves Dumba though so this is probably a no go and Minnesota would likely get more in separate trades if Fiala and Dumba are extended.

Reactions: IAHockey25 and MK9

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015

Seems like a big overpay by the Sabres.

Wild fans have been offering up Dumba for a 2nd and a 4th.

Unsigned high scoring RFA wingers have not returned much value the last few seasons. Reinhart went for late 1st + a prospect. Buchnevich only returned a 2nd and Blais

Sabres offer pick #28, Ryan Johnson, a 2nd and a 4th. For Fiala and Dumba

IAHockey25

Feb 20, 2019

Unsigned high scoring RFA wingers have not returned much value the last few seasons. Reinhart went for late 1st + a prospect. Buchnevich only returned a 2nd and Blais

And Billy laughs and hangs up.

Reactions: TwiztedHeat

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
You must be really high on Faber. I don't like either of these deals compared to other offers thrown out there.
Definitely high on Faber. I think he is a Top 4 guy in NHL.

Also think the #2 or #7 + Pinto packages Wild fans want aren’t going to happen.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
I think Vilardi, Faber, and a 2nd for Fiala is a good trade for both teams. Fiala would be a really good add for LA and Faber would love to play for the Wild. Minnesota just might be crazy enough to give Vilardi top-six minutes, too. Imagine that!
Agreed, although I was thinking it would take 1st, Faber and Vilardi for LA to get Fiala. But it's a good match in any case.

I think ultimately Minnesota would prefer to have something more than just picks. They want a promising young player who is more or less ready to step into the lineup on an ELC and provide value ASAP while they have those cap penalties. So I think guys like Holtz, Pinto, Faber, Peterka, Räty, these are going to be the key. Then of course the rest of the package to pump up the value since those players mentioned are not equal and also there's probably going to be competition.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

Reinhart went for a top 10 protected 1st + prospect

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Reinhart went for a top 10 protected 1st + prospect
That’s the same 1st they got for Reinhart though and Ryan Johnson was drafted in 2019 1st round instead of the end of the 2020 7th round.

Is it the lack of hope that it can be better that makes the 1st worse now? (I’m ignoring the Dumba part of this.)

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
That’s the same 1st they got for Reinhart though and Ryan Johnson was drafted in 2019 1st round instead of the end of the 2020 7th round.

Is it the lack of hope that it can be better that makes the 1st worse now? (I’m ignoring the Dumba part of this.)

I’d sub in “possibility” for “hope”.

And Johnson doesn’t do much for us. LD is the strongest part of our prospect pool.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad