Kesler puts Detroit on a list of teams he'd like to be traded to | UPD: Kesler to ANA

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
Please not the Wings.

My sentiments as well.

Pierre LeBrun said:
he asking price remains high, as it should for a guy that only has a $5 million cap hit for two more years. The Canucks don't just want futures here, they want a player that can help them now, preferably a centre.

So if we make a deal with them it's likely Sheahan/Jurco++, especially when you consider what a team like Anaheim, St.Louis or the Penguins could offer.

I'd rather we spend the assets on a true need and I'd be willing to roll the dice on Letang if he became available.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I'd rather we spend the assets on a true need and I'd be willing to roll the dice on Letang if he became available.

I've said it before and I'll keep saying it: Kesler is a true need. He's a physical, right-handed, 2-way player that can provide elite defense and goal scoring. The Wings need that in their top 6 like a tree needs sunshine.

The Wings need defense more, I agree, but that doesn't mean you ignore other solutions as they become available.

Add Kesler and a puck mover on the blueline and watch the Wings stabilize their place near the top of the standings. Admittedly you trade some of your young depth to accomplish this, but that's the benefit of having all kinds of prospects in waiting.

SoupNazi

Gee Wally/SoupNazi 2024
Feb 6, 2010
I kind of hope the Wings get him so SoupNazi and I can spar about it.

:fight:

Meh, it's not even that I'm opposed to the idea of Kesler; I just believe that whoever gets him is going to have to overpay since it will be the first trade the new regime in Vancouver makes. They're not going to want to get taken.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I've said it before and I'll keep saying it: Kesler is a true need. He's a physical, right-handed, 2-way player that can provide elite defense and goal scoring. The Wings need that in their top 6 like a tree needs sunshine.

The Wings need defense more, I agree, but that doesn't mean you ignore other solutions as they become available.

Add Kesler and a puck mover on the blueline and watch the Wings stabilize their place near the top of the standings. Admittedly you trade some of your young depth to accomplish this, but that's the benefit of having all kinds of prospects in waiting.

Datsyuk and Kesler on the same line...I can't even... good luck to the other line playing against them. We would probably want pieces you dont want to give up though.

wingfan

Jul 1, 2012
Datsyuk and Kesler on the same line...I can't even... good luck to the other line playing against them. We would probably want pieces you dont want to give up though.

I think the only piece we'd like to see made completely unavailable would be Mantha... I'm sure Vanouver would ask for him but that's the piece that I don't want to see the Wings move for anything short of part of a package for a dman like Weber or Doughty...

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
valid fear, but we don't know how well a traded player will work out for us, either. For example, look at how long it took Goligoski to really settle in Dallas and start producing how they expected him to, and how Burns was moved to forward in San Jose rather than played on the blueline.

Also, I'm leery of what teams are asking for us. I don't want to get into another Jarnkrok debate, but we did pay a premium for Legwand. But on top of that, look at the reported offers Calgary turned down from us. For the longest time, it was rumored we offered Sheahan, Jurco, 2nd for J-Bo. Now it's reported that Nyquist and Tatar may have been brought up in that discussion as well. Vancouver reportedly wanted four pieces from us for Edler.I know people want to string Holland up, but it looks like teams ask a premium from us that they don't ask from other teams.

Aside from the pay, I wouldn't want to be in Holland's shoes this summer.
I have never understood why the posters do not realise this. It is not like Holland wants to pay more than others. It is simply cause they demand more from him.
The time to go 'all in' and trade youth for players was three or four years ago when we still had Nick and D & Z weren't so busted up.

The Cup window is done, we haven't drafted any gems (save Mantha and maybe Mrazek) in a while now, we struck out on the one UFA who could have kept us competitive -- Suter.

Gonna have to tank like all the rest.
Not sure about it. Swap Howard and Lundquist and there will be a huge difference.

Dude that is nuts, take a look at a roster like Boston, Chicago, LA, Anaheim. This team is far removed as a cup favorite. Not saying they couldn't do some damage in the right circumstance but thinking a couple of free agents is the difference between hanging with those teams is nuts. The UFA market is too thin and the NHL transition for the prospects is still on the plate because they spent too much time in the AHL.

2-3 more prospects would need to make a Nyquist like jump from prospect to star next season. We don't even know if Nyquist will be consistant.

Compare Nyquist to Datsyuk and Zetterberg at the same age.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009

I like Kesler, but if you have to give up something like Tatar + Sheahan + draft pick i'm not sure we're really all that much better next season. Certainly not enough better to sacrifice youth that can be here for 10+ years for a guy with 2 years left on his deal. IDK. I like Kesler, I just don't think it works for the Wings. We aren't 1 piece away. I don't want to trade any of the young guys unless it's a package for a good ~25 year old who has lots of years left.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I like Kesler, but if you have to give up something like Tatar + Sheahan + draft pick i'm not sure we're really all that much better next season. Certainly not enough better to sacrifice youth that can be here for 10+ years for a guy with 2 years left on his deal. IDK. I like Kesler, I just don't think it works for the Wings. We aren't 1 piece away. I don't want to trade any of the young guys unless it's a package for a good ~25 year old who has lots of years left.

Why Kesler when sharp is cheaper?

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Why Kesler when sharp is cheaper?

These are HFBoards prices, not real prices. Who knows what the GMs are discussing.

Most trades aren't done on "value" but based on getting players they covet. Sheahan may have more value than another player with HF consensus, but that doesn't mean Vancouver would value him more than another "lesser" prospect.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
I kinda want Kenny to go after him. I like Kesler.

I don't think it'll hurt us too much, either. I'm not saying he'll be free or anything, but I think Vancouver wants to rebuild properly, so I think they'll unload him for a bit cheaper than predicted.

I'm one of the guys here that wants management to promote the defensive players rather than sign one. Unless we're getting Subban, Weber, Green or Karlsson through trade, don't bother. The Edler ship has clearly sailed off into the sunset and is now out of reach. Promote Ouellet, Backman, Marchenko and company and stick with it. Obviously there will be growing pains, but we're seeing growth in Smith and Dekeyser - I believe in defense by committee, honestly. And if Babs would just give Smithy a damn chance at the PP, it obviously would be a better aspect of this team's game.

Re-sign Alfie and trade for Kesler.

Kesler-Datsyuk-Alfredsson
Franzen-Zetterberg-Nyquist
Weiss-Sheahan-Tatar
Miller-Helm-Abdelkader
Glendening

Kronwall-Backman
DeKeyser-Smith
Marchenko-Ericsson

Something like this is plausible.

I'm assuming we'd give up a package of Jurco, Ouellet, 1st/2nd.

Or instead of Kesler, maybe Big Buff. I was just stating unless we trade for a gamebreaking defenseman, I don't think it's worth it; the Edlers and Jaybos won't substantially improve our defense too much. I'd rather promote within and beef up on offense.

Gotta admit, scary ass first line...

Last edited:

sully6one

Unregistered User
Aug 6, 2011
Michigan
I kind of hope we don't trade any prospects. If we can trade picks and players like Kindl, Lashoff, Andersson then I'll be ok with it. But all of our prospects have something big on them. I want to see what they can do first. So no Kesler, no Byfuglien, just the kids and maybe a Boyle or Markov or something.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Meh, it's not even that I'm opposed to the idea of Kesler; I just believe that whoever gets him is going to have to overpay since it will be the first trade the new regime in Vancouver makes. They're not going to want to get taken.

That's the point. Assuming the same.

Last edited:

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
Yes, that came to light after the post.

Well, given that, I think we can now cement Brian Boyle or Matt Niskanen into the lineup. ;)

It won't be Niskanen. He's just not good enough to get the salary he'll command.

The Avalanche will probably make him a huge offer.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
That's the point. Assuming the same.

Their old regime seemed to be looking to make everyone overpay, too, and it ended up with them not making any moves and the GM getting canned. It all depends on where they see their team. If they think they have a group they can contend with, it should take an overpayment to pull a guy like Kesler from them. If they feel like they missed and they need to rebuild/re-tool a bit, then Kesler should come at a more reasonable price as they look to stock up.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
I'd be interested in a package revolving around Tatar, but wouldn't even negotiate with the idea of including Jurco.

Tatar ++ seems fair. Or maybe Mrazek ++. Who know what Linden thinks of Cauck's current goaltending sit'n.

I like Kesler though, I do. And this team is still right in the thick of being in contention. Second most injured team in the league, some young guys ready to break down the door and start contributing, and a PP that can only be better next year!

Yes we got rolled by Boston, but Boston was a legit contender/favorite and Boston isn't getting any better next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad