Kasperi Kapanen convicted of aggravated DUI in Finland; fined 108 700€)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Uh....no.

Female%20BAC.jpg
That chart is absolutely not valid, does not correspond to the same BAC-levels used in Finland.

Or then these charts are made with the assumption that someone has like 10 beers inside 2 minutes, and is then taken to a test. That's never happening. Use a realistic timeline. 10 drinks and a test after say 4 hours from starting. That's about the level that breaks the limit of aggravated DUI. And yes, you are drunk at that point.

• Wow
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
As a Blues fan, I hope Kapanen plays well...so we can f***ing deal his sorry ass to whatever team pays highest for him. If not, I hope we f***ing cut his sorry ass. And after that, he can rot in hell for all I care.

I despise drunk drivers. One of them murdered one of my friends, yes, I said murdered because he was driving wasted on a suspended license, ran a red light, and killed her. Three children lost their mother, so yes, I f***ing hate drunk drivers.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
As a Blues fan, I hope Kapanen plays well...so we can f***ing deal his sorry ass to whatever team pays highest for him. If not, I hope we f***ing cut his sorry ass. And after that, he can rot in hell for all I care.

I despise drunk drivers. One of them murdered one of my friends, yes, I said murdered because he was driving wasted on a suspended license, ran a red light, and killed her. Three children lost their mother, so yes, I f***ing hate drunk drivers.
Sorry to hear. Haven't had anything similar happen but fully agree.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
To get that kind of blood alcohol level, using his listed weight at NHL.com, he'd have to drink about 7 or 8 of those 12oz bud lights *within an hour*, which obviously is not very realistic scenario. With hard spirits or even wine you could do that, but unless you are borderline alcoholic with high tolerance for perceived effects, don't tell me you can drink over a bottle of wine in an hour and claim you are not drunk. And regardless of your level of self-perceived drunkedness, your driving will be absolute dog shit at that point even if you try to compensate, and the way alcohol works, people don't even realize how bad they are driving.

Pretty much the only way you can be over the aggravated DUI limit by "accident" is if you get absolutely shitfaced the night before and then start driving way too early the next day. Or if you have a good old fashioned several day drinking binge and don't give yourself enough time to recover. But even then in both those cases if you have half a brain you realize you're still way over the limit even if you're not feeling "drunk" per se.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
To get that kind of blood alcohol level, using his listed weight at NHL.com, he'd have to drink about 7 or 8 of those 12oz bud lights *within an hour*, which obviously is not very realistic scenario. With hard spirits or even wine you could do that, but unless you are borderline alcoholic with high tolerance for perceived effects, don't tell me you can drink over a bottle of wine in an hour and claim you are not drunk. And regardless of your level of self-perceived drunkedness, your driving will be absolute dog shit at that point even if you try to compensate, and the way alcohol works, people don't even realize how bad they are driving.

Pretty much the only way you can be over the aggravated DUI limit by "accident" is if you get absolutely shitfaced the night before and then start driving way too early the next day. Or if you have a good old fashioned several day drinking binge and don't give yourself enough time to recover. But even then in both those cases if you have half a brain you realize you're still way over the limit even if you're not feeling "drunk" per se.
That's all true but only he can know how drunk he felt as tolerance plays a big role and some people can perform better than others under the same alcohol levels. Mind you, I'm not defending his actions and it's safe to assume he wasn't being a great driver or he wouldn't have been pulled over. I'm just noting that the individual plays the biggest role so it's never really accurate to make a blanket statement about someone's actual driving performance.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Nick Cousins
Casey DeSmith
Logan Mailloux
Tony Deangelo
Jordan Binnington
Semyon Varlamov

Blokes that played and never had to really pay for their awful crimes - Harry Zolnierczyk, Steve Downie, and others.

Peters is getting a second chance.
Joel and Bowman are likely to get a chance again soon.
Hawks never really paid for their insane violations of hiding an assault and then not reporting it and had it allow the person to assault many more and a minor that landed him in jail finally.

Last edited by a moderator:

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Knowing he wasn't going to make playoffs for another year was to much.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Funny how many people assume that just because 1.2 permilles is the minimum limit, that that's what his blood content was. It could well have been significantly higher than the limit.

Also, BAC of USA isn't the same thing as that of Finland. It would be equivalent to 1.27. Finland uses mass, not volume.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Funny how many people assume that just because 1.2 permilles is the minimum limit, that that's what his blood content was. It could well have been significantly higher than the limit.

Also, BAC of USA isn't the same thing as that of Finland. It would be equivalent to 1.27. Finland uses mass, not volume.

If you mean 0.127 the way they'd say it here in Canada, if anyone's wondering, that's not just buzzed, it's pretty f***ing drunk.

Reactions: Patrik Barkov

Tarmore

Nov 11, 2008
I can't wrap my head around this. It's not like the guy couldn't afford a cab or Uber or to pay some random to drive him home or a Limo or a personal driver etc Lots of options available for those with money.

Even when I had little money and went drinking I used a service her in Canada called keys R Us (I think that's how they spelled it). A service where they would drive two people out to where ever you were and one of them would drive you home in your own car. Avoiding you having to leave your vehicle and paying for another cab back to get it.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
I can't wrap my head around this. It's not like the guy couldn't afford a cab or Uber or to pay some random to drive him home or a Limo or a personal driver etc Lots of options available for those with money.

Even when I had little money and went drinking I used a service her in Canada called keys R Us (I think that's how they spelled it). A service where they would drive two people out to where ever you were and one of them would drive you home in your own car. Avoiding you having to leave your vehicle and paying for another cab back to get it.
Sadly, it happens all the time regardless of earnings, especially if you're an absolute f***ing dumbass.

Reactions: thefutures

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Nick Cousins
Casey DeSmith
Logan Mailloux
Tony Deangelo
Jordan Binnington
Semyon Varlamov

Blokes that played and never had to really pay for their awful crimes - Harry Zolnierczyk, Steve Downie, and others.

Peters is getting a second chance.
Joel and Bowman are likely to get a chance again soon.
Hawks never really paid for their insane violations of hiding an assault and then not reporting it and had it allow the person to assault many more and a minor that landed him in jail finally.

What's the point of this post? Each situation is different and I fail to see what any of those others has to do with Kapanen's situation. Why is Binnington even mentioned? You trying to get this thread locked or what?

Reactions: tfriede2

Patrik Barkov

Jun 25, 2016
A lot of those countries seem way too harsh on DUI. Sebastian Aho (islanders) was charged with one for drinking the day before and blew a .03.

That’s nuts…

These guys know this I’m sure it’s pounded into their heads by agents/family to be extremely cautious when going back home

But still

I guess when your crime rate is very low you need to generate revenue some way.
Why is drinking and driving such a hard concept for north americans? Do not drink and drive it's that simple. The limits in some US states are ridiculous. You can be borderline wasted and still legally drive home....

0.12 is like 3 beers.
What?

Maybe if it's your first time drinking but I'd say it's more like 10-12 beers for an average guy in their twenties.

Reactions: biturbo19

Patrik Barkov

Jun 25, 2016
That's all true but only he can know how drunk he felt as tolerance plays a big role and some people can perform better than others under the same alcohol levels. Mind you, I'm not defending his actions and it's safe to assume he wasn't being a great driver or he wouldn't have been pulled over. I'm just noting that the individual plays the biggest role so it's never really accurate to make a blanket statement about someone's actual driving performance.
Jesus christ what a post....

No one, and I repeat no one should even contemplate driving under ANY level of influence ever.

ovythegiraffe

Nov 26, 2018

Or just walk home if there's no other option. A 5-10mile hike shouldn't be a problem for a professional athlete. That's what I've had to do plenty of times lol

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Why is drinking and driving such a hard concept for north americans? Do not drink and drive it's that simple. The limits in some US states are ridiculous. You can be borderline wasted and still legally drive home....

What?

Maybe if it's your first time drinking but I'd say it's more like 10-12 beers for an average guy in their twenties.

Some states allow you to drink *while* driving. I'll never forget driving through Montana and seeing some guy sporting a beer driving past us in his pickup. The irony is I believe Montana has a fairly low blood-alcohol content allowance of 0.05%.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Why do you disagree with my statement?

Because it's extreme. One drink isn't an existential threat to anyone. If you want to go that far, I have a list of character/physical flaws that should prevent people from driving under any circumstances as well. I promise you I am safer on the roads after one or two drinks than the average person I see out there. Taking a hard stance like zero tolerance is actually counter-productive. Or as Princess Leia said it: "The more you tighten your grip, Tarkin, the more star systems will slip through your fingers." Absolutism never works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad