Kasperi Kapanen convicted of aggravated DUI in Finland; fined 108 700€)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
For anyone wondering, 0.53 milligrams of alcohol per litre of air roughly translates to 0.12 blood-alcohol level. This is just to provide context, not to be like "it's not a big deal."

Levels are indeed much stricter in Europe in terms of what gets classified as what. When I was in Slovakia we never once got in the car even after one beer for this very reason.
Yeah, still can't be driving at those levels. I'm sure he can afford an uber (or the Finnish equiv).

That said, while it's a mistake and he needs to own this, this isn't some catastrophic disaster that should derail the remainder of his career.

DeeQ

Apr 1, 2017
That's alot. I'm very wasted if I blow 1,2‰. And that is just the minimum limit so he was probably pretty hammered.

Last edited:

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
That said, while it's a mistake and he needs to own this, this isn't some catastrophic disaster that should derail the remainder of his career.
Hockey career, no, but he's just barely an NHL player at this so this isn't going to help him stay there.

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
What an idiot. Very frustrating guy in general. He has the tools to being a very good player but he lacks the drive and then he does stupid stuff outside of the rink. I don't think his father had as good tools but he had better attitude and drive, which is why he was able to succeed in the NHL. Somehow that part hasn't gone from father to son.
Yea Sami was all time favourites dream player such a shame Kasperi is rather dickhead

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
Honestly it's not that much. Still not cool to drive but if it was .12 he likely wasn't hammered.

Right? He should be punished but a lot of very sensitive people here. I don't condone it whatsoever but there should be several stages of DUI in each country. 0.12 is like 3 beers. That should be a $3000 fine for a person. Not "one more just like it and your life is over" territory.

To reach that level, you would have to drink over two bottles of wine or half a litre of spirits, or something like 15 cans of beer. That’s a lot if we are talking about taking the wheel.

LOL we need community notes on this website.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
.12 BAC would be something like 6 beers

i'm trusting that the other poster's conversion to BAC is accurate though

This is riduclous LOL. .12 BAC is like 3. 4 MAXIMUM. A 12 ounce bud light, for example, will give you a .03-.04 BAC.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
.12 BAC would be something like 6 beers

i'm trusting that the other poster's conversion to BAC is accurate though
Well that's not true at all..
This is based on known formula, used by many online calculators. So of cource it's not 100% accurate, and a lot depends on your bodytype, at what time you measure the level etc.

Feel free to try yourself. BAC Calculator
This is riduclous LOL. .12 BAC is like 3. 4 MAXIMUM. A 12 ounce bud light, for example, will give you a .03-.04 BAC.
1 bud light for 190 pound male measured after 30 minutes is 0.015%. I have no idea how your scale is so mixed up, or you Americans are using some different form of BAC. 4 beers might bring you at the DIU limit of 0,5 per mille, but that's still far from the aggravated limit. If you reach the aggravated limit, that's not just having a few beers with your dinner. That's actual drinkin. Also note, that this is just the minimum limit we are talking about here. For all we know, Kapanen could have been so shitfaced he could not walk. Maybe his level was somewhere around 0,25.

Reactions: heksagon

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Right? He should be punished but a lot of very sensitive people here. I don't condone it whatsoever but there should be several stages of DUI in each country. 0.12 is like 3 beers. That should be a $3000 fine for a person. Not "one more just like it and your life is over" territory.

LOL we need community notes on this website.
I mean, both 3 and 15 are equally ridiculous claims.

Reactions: TheStatican

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
i mean if you're like, a 150lb female yeah probably, a 6ft 200lb athlete not so much

last i read the "average person" was .01-.03 per "standard drink" in an hour

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
This is based on known formula, used by many online calculators. So of cource it's not 100% accurate, and a lot depends on your bodytype, at what time you measure the level etc.

1 bud light for 190 pound male measured after 30 minutes is 0.015%. I have no idea how your scale is so mixed up, or you Americans are using some different form of BAC. 4 beers might bring you at the DIU limit of 0,5 per mille, but that's still far from the aggravated limit. If you reach the aggravated limit, that's not just having a few beers with your dinner. That's actual drinkin. Also note, that this is just the minimum limit we are talking about here. For all we know, Kapanen could have been so shitfaced he could not walk. Maybe his level was somewhere around 0,25.
Using the same calculator you used, 15 beers at 2 hours in gives you double what you said you would reach drinking 15 beers. I have no idea how shit faced he was or what he blew. But you don't need to be drinking 15 beers to reach higher than 0.53 mg/l (.12)

Reactions: LOFIN

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Toonces-the-driving-cat GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY
Toonces!!

• Love
Reactions: waitin425

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Using the same calculator you used, 15 beers at 2 hours in gives you double what you said you would reach drinking 15 beers. I have no idea how shit faced he was or what he blew. But you don't need to be drinking 15 beers to reach higher than 0.53 mg/l (.12)
Yeah, I guess the time of measurement I threw there was a bit long. Because I doubt someone is chugging 15 beers in two hours.

But it's beside the point, which is that if you are above the aggravated limit, it's not just a case of Europe having strict limits and going after someone who had a few cold ones. That's a blood alcohol level where you are visibly drunk, and your ability to drive is seriously impaired. Which is why that law is in place.

Reactions: biturbo19 and jonu

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017

You may be right that we use different scales. The US uses BAC whereas much of Europe uses pro milles. I live in the Czech Republic, where there is zero tolerance, but you'll sometimes hear of drivers with 2 or more promilles, which I would assume is pretty drunk. I always assumed that 2 promilles was what we considered .2 BAC in America but maybe the conversion is more complicated than that. The legal limit in most parts of the US is .08.

In the States we're taught that a "safe" amount of alcohol is roughly one drink per hour for an average sized man, which is why some of us think .12 is around 3 beers. However, if he drank more than that then it's a totally different story. Regardless, there's no excuse for him not to take an Uber.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
What an idiot. Very frustrating guy in general. He has the tools to being a very good player but he lacks the drive and then he does stupid stuff outside of the rink. I don't think his father had as good tools but he had better attitude and drive, which is why he was able to succeed in the NHL. Somehow that part hasn't gone from father to son.
So true. His dad did mature late though. He sulked and whined quite a bit until the Canes fell in love with Jeff O'Neill and he needed to earn his minutes. That's when he developed his two-way game.

Reactions: JabbaJabba

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
The older I get, when I read stuff like this my first thought is that much beer is is a lot of empty calories for an athlete who needs to stay in shape.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Hockey career, no, but he's just barely an NHL player at this so this isn't going to help him stay there.
That's a stretch to say he's barely one.

He made a mistake and stated he'd correct it and learn from it.

The many players in the NHL that are still around with racist pasts, committed rape or sexual assault and are still in the league without this much anger and hate in comparison to this incident is quite interesting. He definitely did something that wasn't smart. But he's not hiding from it and is dealing with it.

A lot of keyboard warriors with some intense judgements.

Reactions: Suntouchable13

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Yeah, still can't be driving at those levels. I'm sure he can afford an uber (or the Finnish equiv).

I mean, this is definitely not a good point in Kap's career for this to happen. With the market getting tougher (Tomas Tatar remains a FA, handful of solid players in Kap's stratosphere just signed PTOs) I wouldn't say he has a clear cut career ahead of him in the NHL.

Worst of all, he doesn't have Ron Hextall above him in the front office to sign him to a bone-headed contract extension next summer.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
It's Finland, he clearly had a couple pops of Vodka then drove. Do they even drink beer in Finland? Every Fin I've ever met (a whopping 3) has drank hard liquor mostly.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
It's Finland, he clearly had a couple pops of Vodka then drove. Do they even drink beer in Finland? Every Fin I've ever met (a whopping 3) has drank hard liquor mostly.
Beer is for game nights and socializing. If the goal is to get drunk, liquor does the job. It's cheaper and you won't have to go to the bathroom every 15 minutes, so it's a no brainer really.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
To reach that level, you would have to drink over two bottles of wine or half a litre of spirits, or something like 15 cans of beer. That’s a lot if we are talking about taking the wheel.

Uh....no.

Female%20BAC.jpg

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Man oh man, not a great look for him.

What are the next steps from a legality perspective?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad