Kasperi Kapanen convicted of aggravated DUI in Finland; fined 108 700€)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patrik Barkov

Jun 25, 2016
I didn't disagree with you per se. I called you out on the ill witted narcissistic moral high ground you tried to take while I explicitly and objectively did not advocate for that behavior. It was clearly not the point of the post you quoted. Best of luck to you.
My ill witted narcissistic moral high ground stance on....

*checks notes*

"not driving under the influence"

Let's leave it here I guess.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

Right? He should be punished but a lot of very sensitive people here. I don't condone it whatsoever but there should be several stages of DUI in each country. 0.12 is like 3 beers. That should be a $3000 fine for a person. Not "one more just like it and your life is over" territory.

LOL we need community notes on this website.

... Unless you're chugging Dubbels, no, it's not.

What?

Maybe if it's your first time drinking but I'd say it's more like 10-12 beers for an average guy in their twenties.

... You managed to be even further than the guy above (unless you meant drinking ten 5 ABV beers in like 6 hours, in which case it can go either way... and you'd also probably be a bit sleepy so it's a f***ing bad idea to drive nonetheless).

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
What's the point of this post? Each situation is different and I fail to see what any of those others has to do with Kapanen's situation. Why is Binnington even mentioned? You trying to get this thread locked or what?

Just because you don't feel the need to read the replies and answers doesn't mean it's not on topic.

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
A lot of those countries seem way too harsh on DUI. Sebastian Aho (islanders) was charged with one for drinking the day before and blew a .03.

That’s nuts…

These guys know this I’m sure it’s pounded into their heads by agents/family to be extremely cautious when going back home

But still

I guess when your crime rate is very low you need to generate revenue some way.

Harsh ? Ask an traffic police officer from anywhere in the world and they hate those who drink or drug and drive. Even a tiny amount of alcohol can impair judgement and they have seen enough fatalities and serious injuries caused by these idiots. The system is not there to generate revenue. They actively warn and encourage people not to engage in this behaviour. If idiots didn't get into a vehicle while drunk or under the influence there would be no issue.

As usual by implication it's the police to blame rather than the offender.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Harsh ? Ask an traffic police officer from anywhere in the world and they hate those who drink or drug and drive. Even a tiny amount of alcohol can impair judgement and they have seen enough fatalities and serious injuries caused by these idiots. The system is not there to generate revenue. They actively warn and encourage people not to engage in this behaviour. If idiots didn't get into a vehicle while drunk or under the influence there would be no issue.

As usual by implication it's the police to blame rather than the offender.

I'm not defending people who drive recklessly and seriously imparied by drugs...f*** those people. Maybe you missed the part of my post that mentioned Aho who got banged for blowing a .03....which is not particularly close to being a danger behind the wheel.

He was also stopped at a ever-prevalent DUI checkpoint, which we just allowed to happen as a society despite being unconsitutional, again because there's been somewhat of an overreaction to DUI.

apparentlyclueless

Dec 29, 2019
He was also stopped at a ever-prevalent DUI checkpoint, which we just allowed to happen as a society despite being unconsitutional, again because there's been somewhat of an overreaction to DUI.
How is that unconstitutional in Sweden? Are you not aware of the meaning of that word of do you actually think that the US constitution applies to whole wide world?

Sweden, like every other (civilized) nation, has their own constitution.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Why is drinking and driving such a hard concept for north americans? Do not drink and drive it's that simple. The limits in some US states are ridiculous. You can be borderline wasted and still legally drive home....

What?

Maybe if it's your first time drinking but I'd say it's more like 10-12 beers for an average guy in their twenties.

That's not how BAC works. I'm 215lbs and can drink. At beer 4-5 I'm still pretty sober and to prove a point have solved some pretty messed up calculus at that stage back in Uni.

But assuming it took me 1.5 hours to drink them all I'm probably still blowing a .1 - .12

Back when I was 200lbs if I had 2 beers I always waited atleast an hour after finishing the first before operating anything because I wanted to know I was in the clear even though at 2 beers I felt nothing.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
To get that kind of blood alcohol level, using his listed weight at NHL.com, he'd have to drink about 7 or 8 of those 12oz bud lights *within an hour*, which obviously is not very realistic scenario. With hard spirits or even wine you could do that, but unless you are borderline alcoholic with high tolerance for perceived effects, don't tell me you can drink over a bottle of wine in an hour and claim you are not drunk. And regardless of your level of self-perceived drunkedness, your driving will be absolute dog shit at that point even if you try to compensate, and the way alcohol works, people don't even realize how bad they are driving.

Pretty much the only way you can be over the aggravated DUI limit by "accident" is if you get absolutely shitfaced the night before and then start driving way too early the next day. Or if you have a good old fashioned several day drinking binge and don't give yourself enough time to recover. But even then in both those cases if you have half a brain you realize you're still way over the limit even if you're not feeling "drunk" per se.

The thing is...regardless of the exact BAC and level of impairment, or perceived impairment...it's really not hard to just err on the side of caution. Especially when you're a multimillionaire professional athlete. There are so many options that don't involved driving when there's even a chance of more minimal impairment. Much less when you've been drinking enough to raise to that higher standard of intoxication.

It's just an extremely stupid, selfish thing to do. For no real reason.

That's not how BAC works. I'm 215lbs and can drink. At beer 4-5 I'm still pretty sober and to prove a point have solved some pretty messed up calculus at that stage back in Uni.

But assuming it took me 1.5 hours to drink them all I'm probably still blowing a .1 - .12

Back when I was 200lbs if I had 2 beers I always waited atleast an hour after finishing the first before operating anything because I wanted to know I was in the clear even though at 2 beers I felt nothing.

This is the thing about BAC and impaired driving ability. Operating a motor vehicle has very little in common with doing calculus. With alcohol impairment, the first things to go are generally motor functions and critical driving skills like reaction time, spatial judgment and awareness, etc. Even at lower levels, it still has an effect. These aren't things that matter a whole lot to solving a math problem...but they do matter in effectively operating 4000lbs of machinery at high speed.

And at the end of the day...the consequences of f***ing up a math problem are a lot less severe than crashing a car.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
The thing is...regardless of the exact BAC and level of impairment, or perceived impairment...it's really not hard to just err on the side of caution. Especially when you're a multimillionaire professional athlete. There are so many options that don't involved driving when there's even a chance of more minimal impairment. Much less when you've been drinking enough to raise to that higher standard of intoxication.

It's just an extremely stupid, selfish thing to do. For no real reason.

This is the thing about BAC and impaired driving ability. Operating a motor vehicle has very little in common with doing calculus. With alcohol impairment, the first things to go are generally motor functions and critical driving skills like reaction time, spatial judgment and awareness, etc. Even at lower levels, it still has an effect. These aren't things that matter a whole lot to solving a math problem...but they do matter in effectively operating 4000lbs of machinery at high speed.

And at the end of the day...the consequences of f***ing up a math problem are a lot less severe than crashing a car.

The idea was meant to be I was still Sober and was a story not a be all end all of if you can still do advanced Math your good to drive. The point i was making was that At 4 beers I would still be sober because alcohol has little affect on me but my BAC would still be over limit so I would still wait to drive.

I also said in that same post if I had 2 beers at 200lbs I'd wait to drive erring on the side of caution cause I would have been close to legal levels.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I don't know which constitution you're talking about (although this post definitely screams the USA), but different countries do in fact have different laws.

I don't see much of an argument against DUI checkpoints other than "muh freedom".

PenCapChew

Feb 24, 2020
I don't know which constitution you're talking about (although this post definitely screams the USA), but different countries do in fact have different laws.

I don't see much of an argument against DUI checkpoints other than "muh freedom".
Don't think this has been posted yet, but the "muh freedom" argument has been prevalent for decades.

paragon

May 5, 2010
Until it's not.
And that's when they should punish to the fullest extent of the law. You don't put people in jail for handling a gun or a knife while intoxicated even when 64% of all homicides (in Finland) are commited while intoxicated.

Reactions: Matt Ress

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
You don't put people in jail for handling a gun or a knife while intoxicated even when 64% of all homicides (in Finland) are commited while intoxicated.
You absolutely do put people in jail, if they fire shots towards people or swing a knife towards someone, and by happy accident they don't hit. Which is what drink-driving amongst other traffic essentially is.

Criminal code is not there to just punish people from doing something, it's also to act as a deterrent from doing stupid stuff. Which is why highly reckless and dangerous behaviour like shooting at random or DUI should be always punished.

paragon

May 5, 2010
You absolutely do put people in jail, if they fire shots towards people or swing a knife towards someone, and by happy accident they don't hit. Which is what drink-driving amongst other traffic essentially is.

Criminal code is not there to just punish people from doing something, it's also to act as a deterrent from doing stupid stuff. Which is why highly reckless and dangerous behaviour like shooting at random or DUI should be always punished.
That's a false analogy. He wasn't trying to drive over people. There was no intent to harm like when you are swinging a knife towards someone or shooting at someone.

If you want deterrence you should actually put people in jail. You can DUI and kill someone without going to jail.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
And that's when they should punish to the fullest extent of the law. You don't put people in jail for handling a gun or a knife while intoxicated even when 64% of all homicides (in Finland) are commited while intoxicated.

Idk about Finland but here in North America most places have laws against carrying a gun while influenced by drugs or alcohol. Some states even have implied consent laws for breath/blood testing for the carry permit, similar to a drivers license.

Reactions: tarheelhockey

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
That's a false analogy. He wasn't trying to drive over people. There was no intent to harm like when you are swinging a knife towards someone or shooting at someone.

If you want deterrence you should actually put people in jail. You can DUI and kill someone without going to jail.
Ok, let me restructure my analogy: you take a firearm, go to the city centre, and start blasting rounds in the air like it's a Middle-Eastern wedding. I can guarantee the cops are going to take you in. It's reckless and dangerous behaviour.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014

Again, patently false. DUI casuing death turns to Vehicular Homicide/Manslaughter, even someone with no criminal history and a productive member of society is getting jail/prison time if they do that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad