Kasperi Kapanen convicted of aggravated DUI in Finland; fined 108 700€)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
Toonces-the-driving-cat GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY
Toonces!

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
For anyone wondering, 0.53 milligrams of alcohol per litre of air roughly translates to 0.12 blood-alcohol level. This is just to provide context, not to be like "it's not a big deal."

Levels are indeed much stricter in Europe in terms of what gets classified as what. When I was in Slovakia we never once got in the car even after one beer for this very reason.
that isn't a.very high level.actually

Reactions: Reality Czech

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
To reach that level, you would have to drink over two bottles of wine or half a litre of spirits, or something like 15 cans of beer. That’s a lot if we are talking about taking the wheel.
.12 BAC would be something like 6 beers

i'm trusting that the other poster's conversion to BAC is accurate though

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
TBF we don't know what he blew, but yeah I don't know if anyone will care if it comes out that he blew a 0.03 or something comically low like Aho.

And I do agree that everyone should know their local laws but like Aho was drunk and slept it off and blew a 0.03 the next day after sleeping it off, not sure anyone cared in Long Island.

Forgot it even happened

Reactions: ucanthanzalthetruth

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
but he's a rich athlete

doesn't that mean these charges won't stick

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Absolutely selfish when you have his level of money (and even without it, it is, drink at home). Unfortunately all too common. Thankfully no one was hurt.

It was easy in NYC back in the day too!
Lets not kid ourselves, famous people and people friends with cops who have PBA cards can pull it out. Thankfully its being cracked down on and becoming less prevalent, but still common enough its a concern (not speaking on NYC specifically, but all NHL cities).

Jugitsu

Sponsor
Dec 24, 2016
Finland
What a despicable scumbag. I hate drunk drivers with a burning passion. I don't know the specifics of the law but I wouldn't be surprised if the fine was something laughable since the majority of his taxable income comes from outside of Finland.

Reactions: biturbo19

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
This is sort of stupidity you see a lot in Finland when people are young(18-20 maybe) but he ain't that young anymore. Shame Shame. Hopefully works as a good lesson now.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
but he's a rich athlete

doesn't that mean these charges won't stick

That hasn't been the case for Finnish hockey players. Players like Barkov, Selänne and Ristolainen have had to pay their speeding tickets.

What a despicable scumbag. I hate drunk drivers with a burning passion. I don't know the specifics of the law but I wouldn't be surprised if the fine was something laughable since the majority of his taxable income comes from outside of Finland.

Thankfully this hasn't been the case in the past. For example in 2019 Ristolainen got a speeding ticket in Finland worth of 120k euros even though he makes his money in America.

Reactions: heksagon

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
TBF we don't know what he blew, but yeah I don't know if anyone will care if it comes out that he blew a 0.03 or something comically low like Aho.

And I do agree that everyone should know their local laws but like Aho was drunk and slept it off and blew a 0.03 the next day after sleeping it off, not sure anyone cared in Long Island.

It says aggravated DUI. Dunno what that means in Finland. In Canada it usually means an accident was involved. I'm wondering if it could also mean he was way over the limit.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Honestly it's not that much. Still not cool to drive but if it was .12 he likely wasn't hammered.
Just because that's the minimum limit doesn't mean he couldn't have been well over it. Also, that's at least 6 pints of beer, right? That's quite a bit, if you ask me. Driving ability's compromised well before a person's "hammered".
It says aggravated DUI. Dunno what that means in Finland. In Canada it usually means an accident was involved. I'm wondering if it could also mean he was way over the limit.
It tends to just mean that rather than at least 0.05% it was at least 0.12%.

Last edited:
Reactions: biturbo19

TheOne

Jun 15, 2023
A lot of those countries seem way too harsh on DUI. Sebastian Aho (islanders) was charged with one for drinking the day before and blew a .03.

That’s nuts…

These guys know this I’m sure it’s pounded into their heads by agents/family to be extremely cautious when going back home

But still

I guess when your crime rate is very low you need to generate revenue some way.
I wonder if there's aNY causal relation between strict punishments for crimes and having a low crime rate? 🤔

Kahvi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Like other said, there are two limits in Finland. One for DUI and a higher one for aggravated DUI.
From Drink-driving always causes risks - Liikenneturva

Drink-driving is an offence when:​

1. the blood alcohol content (BAC) is at least 0.05% or there is at least 0.22 milligrams of alcohol per litre of exhaled air during or after driving.
  2. the driver has used a narcotic substance so that the active substance or its metabolite is present in their blood during or after driving (excluding pharmaceutical products the driver is entitled to use).
  3. the driver has used a narcotic substance other than alcohol, or such a substance and alcohol, in such a way that their ability to perform their task has deteriorated.

Drink-driving is classified as aggravated if:​

• the blood alcohol content is at least 0.12% or there is at least 0.53 milligrams of alcohol per litre of exhaled air.
  • the ability to perform required actions is clearly weakened.
  • a narcotic substance other than alcohol or such a substance and alcohol is used in such a way that the ability to perform required actions has deteriorated considerably, and the circumstances are such that the offence is likely to pose a risk to the safety of others.

Jugitsu

Sponsor
Dec 24, 2016
Finland
That hasn't been the case for Finnish hockey players. Players like Barkov, Selänne and Ristolainen have had to pay their speeding tickets.

Thankfully this hasn't been the case in the past. For example in 2019 Ristolainen got a speeding ticket in Finland worth of 120k euros even though he makes his money in America.

Hopefully that's the case with Kasperi too. And if he's serious about being remorseful and taking responsibility he won't fight it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad