Player Discussion Kaiden Guhle

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
For the next decade if Guble is traded, I see Adam Engstrom more than Mike Matheson.

But, trade Guhle would be a huge mistake, he have such leadership in him, he have all tools to become a top pairing D, the only concern with him, it's like Dach. About his injuries.

100% agree.

In the end, trading Guhle is more about our depth and the potential return in a trade rather than any knock against him.

We could also ice him on the right along with Reinbacher and Mailloux and all the great LDs we have and have an awesome, awesome defense.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
100% agree.

In the end, trading Guhle is more about our depth and the potential return in a trade rather than any knock against him.

We could also ice him on the right along with Reinbacher and Mailloux and all the great LDs we have and have an awesome, awesome defense.
There is quality and then there is Qauntity. Some players to borrow a phrase from Steve Smith from the NFL Network (are a JAG, Just a Guy), that you can swap out and not notice a difference.

How many of Struble, Harris, X, Barron are really a JAG moving forward and which, if any is going to be someone you expect to see on the roster when they next make the PO? It's a big year for the 5 oldest guys of that young D group in Harris, Struble, X, Barron and Guhle to solidify their spot on the roster before the next wave of Mailloux, Hutson, and Reinbacher get their shot.

Reactions: yianik

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
With Guhle, I see the future top 4 set.

Guhle - Mailloux.
Hutson - Reinbacher.

That's a really really good top 4 to me.

Everyone speak about Hutson, but Mailloux will be a really good PP D-man aswell.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
With Guhle, I see the future top 4 set.

Guhle - Mailloux.
Hutson - Reinbacher.

That's a really really good top 4 to me.

Everyone speak about Hutson, but Mailloux will be a really good PP D-man aswell.

We will need two very good PP QB's with Suzuki, Caufield, Dach, Slafkovsky, Demidov, Hage Roy and and Newhook potentially able to form two dynamic PP units. And that is before mentioning Farrell, Mesar, Beck, Kapanen, Xhekaj etc. So there is a need for both Hutson and Mailloux although all of Guhle, Xhekaj and Engstrom have good potential as PP2 QB's.

There is just so much young talent in this organization and Guhle will be a huge part of it. He is already a team leader and is a huge part of the culture and represents an investment that Hughes and Gorton are not looking to move. What this team really needs is to add a legitimate top six winger to bridge the gap from now until these prospects really start making their mark in 2-3 years.

HuGo will need to move some smaller forwards and redundant D for a couple of bigger depth forwards and/or a top six winger but most of the heavy lifting is done as far as building the core is concerned. If we can grab a decent top six winger even if it is a seasoned vet on a 2-3 year contract this team might be off to the races sooner than many suspect. There is a boatload of talent on D that could potentially take a big step forward as a group just by having several of them individually taking a modest step forward.

Marchessault would have been perfect on a 3 year deal and it is for the reasons that I listed above that HuGo targeted him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Schooner Guy

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
We will need two very good PP QB's with Suzuki, Caufield, Dach, Slafkovsky, Demidov, Hage Roy and and Newhook potentially able to form two dynamic PP units. And that is before mentioning Farrell, Mesar, Beck, Kapanen, Xhekaj etc.

There is just so much young talent in this organization and Guhle will be u huge part of it. He is already a team leader and is a huge part of the culture and represents an investment that Hughes and Gorton are not looking to move. What this team really needs is to add a legitimate top six winger to bridge the gap from now until these prospects really start making their mark in 2-3 years.

HuGo will need to move some smaller forwards and redundant D for a couple of bigger depth forwards and/or a top six winger but most of the heavy lifting is done as far as building the core is concerned. If we can grab a decent top six winger even if it is a seasoned vet on a 2-3 year contract this team might be off to the races sooner than many suspect. There is a boatload of talent on D that could potentially take a big step forward as a group just by having several of them individually taking a modest step forward.

Marchessault would have been perfect on a 3 year deal and it is for the reasons that I listed above that HuGo targeted him.

100% agree with you! I think Hutson and Mailloux are both guy you said for both PP unit. Hutson will make great passes and Mailloux have really good slapshot and passing ability aswell!

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Only in MTL do we talk about trading a stud like Guhle.

It's like this team has been so bad for so long that people can't discern a good player from a bad one. Matheson for the next decade esti.

Reactions: Benstheman

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
If Habs trade one of Guhle or Xhekaj, that would be a mistake. They are both perfect D to play in playoffs, they both bring great physical presence. Guhle is more safier than Xhekaj, but Xhekaj can still develop into a great top 4 D and become better at defensive zone than now.

They have both great leadership attribute.

We need to keep players like that if we want to succeed at playoffs!

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
None of our young D will be traded until the rebuild is officially over and we know if one of them doesn't fit or didn't develop.

Reactions: BLONG7

badfish

Habs fan in ON
Sponsor
Nov 12, 2005
ON
None of our young D will be traded until the rebuild is officially over and we know if one of them doesn't fit or didn't develop.
I have a feeling waiver wire dynamics will ensure a D is traded before the rebuild is over

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
Every time someone suggests trading Guhle, god kills a puppy.

With all due respects, there are only two outcomes for this post.

The first, and proverbial "blue pill", being that you're way too high on Guhle and/or most likely exaggerating to better illustrate your point. Which is the boring, down-to-earth, and most realistic of the options.

The second outcome, Morpheus' infamous "red pill, more outlandish by far and my favorite of the two, is that you are still real high on Guhle, but have a (somewhat troubling?) God Complex problem and really need to lay off the puppies (that you'd sacrifice to yourself in that scenario, how does self-divinity work exactly?).

Anyways, boringness and witty-ish psycho mumbo-jumbo aside I bid thee good day.

Reactions: Walrus26

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
God is a meanie!

But I'm not sure why people keep suggesting to trade Guhle.
Its simple. Because it has become apparent to them that Guhle will never provide the offensive production that many here had mistakenly assumed.

Guhle is a fine prospect and is the type of mobile, workhorse defenceman that you can win with. But he will never be the offensive wheelhorse that Matheson is. Its not his game strength. And never has been.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
With all due respects, there are only two outcomes for this post.

The first, and proverbial "blue pill", being that you're way too high on Guhle and/or most likely exaggerating to better illustrate your point. Which is the boring, down-to-earth, and most realistic of the options.

The second outcome, Morpheus' infamous "red pill, more outlandish by far and my favorite of the two, is that you are still real high on Guhle, but have a (somewhat troubling?) God Complex problem and really need to lay off the puppies (that you'd sacrifice to yourself in that scenario, how does self-divinity work exactly?).

Anyways, boringness and witty-ish psycho mumbo-jumbo aside I bid thee good day.

They're not trading Guhle, that's really it.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Its simple. Because it has become apparent to them that Guhle will never provide the offensive production that many here had mistakenly assumed.

Guhle is a fine prospect and is the type of mobile, workhorse defenceman that you can win with. But he will never be the offensive wheelhorse that Matheson is. Its not his game strength. And never has been.
Guhle kind of young to be saying that about him. He could have offensive side yet. Many defensemen develop late

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
Guhle kind of young to be saying that about him. He could have offensive side yet. Many defensemen develop late
While I think Guhle is one of the few Montreal players/prospects who can be viewed as near untouchable, one has to be realistic about Guhle’s offensive potential. In his WHL career, Guhle never scored more than 40 points in any one season and in 110 NHL games to date, he has only scored 10 goals. As he will be turning 23 this coming January, it is a bit of wishful thinking to expect Guhle to experience an explosive offensive outbreak.

I regard Guhle’s offensive potential as mirroring that of Jay Bouwmeester’s. While being a bit more offensively prolific during his WHL career, Bouwmeester scored only 88 goals in 1,240 NHL games. Both players are excellent skaters (Bouwmeester was faster) who had similar size (Bouwmeester is taller) and who had some physical edge to their respective games (Guhle is and will be a more physically aggressive player).

If Guhle develops into a Bouwmeester-lite level player, with a bit more offence, we should all be delighted. However, to see him as a potential offensive force is a projection that is simply, unfounded.

Last edited:

Zilo44

Jul 4, 2012
Guhle had as many ES pts as Matheson. He has offensive upside for sure

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
While I think Guhle is one of the few Montreal players/prospects who can be viewed as near untouchable, one has to be realistic about Guhle’s offensive potential. In his WHL career, Guhle never scored more than 40 points in any one season and in 110 NHL games to date, he has only scored 10 goals. As he is will be turning 23 this coming January, it is a bit of wishful thinking to expect Guhle to experience an explosive offensive outbreak.

I regard Guhle’s offensive potential as mirroring that of Jay Bouwmeester’s. While being a bit more offensively prolific during his WHL career, Bouwmeester scored only 88 goals in 1,240 NHL games. Both players are excellent skaters (Bouwmeester was faster) who had similar size (Bouwmeester is taller) and who had some physical edge to their respective games (Guhle is and will be a more physically aggressive player).

If Guhle develops into a Bouwmeester-lite level player, with a bit more offence, we should all be delighted. However, to see him as a potential offensive force is a projection that is simply, unfounded.

It is a little disingenuous to state that he never scored more than 40 points when he did it in his draft year and only played 2 games in his D+1 season. In his D+2 he put up 40 points in 42 games and 16 in 19 playoff games while winning playoff MVP.

He likely never puts up 50 points in Montreal if Hutson and Mailloux continue to progress as he will not be on PP1 but this does not mean that he would not do so if given the chance. I feel like you have been putting old school defensive dman archetype comparisons on him since we drafted him and he has been continuously proving you to be wrong. You were originally limiting his potential because you thought that his skating was sub par which I vigorously argued against. I think you need to open your mind to more modern observation methods as the game and archetypes have drastically changed.

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
While I think Guhle is one of the few Montreal players/prospects who can be viewed as near untouchable, one has to be realistic about Guhle’s offensive potential. In his WHL career, Guhle never scored more than 40 points in any one season and in 110 NHL games to date, he has only scored 10 goals. As he will be turning 23 this coming January, it is a bit of wishful thinking to expect Guhle to experience an explosive offensive outbreak.

Bouwmeester is an interesting comparison for Guhle. I can see it.

Guhle is already miles ahead in terms of comfort in front of cameras. 😆 Bouwmeester was hilariously shy.

Very different from the stereotypical hockey player. Made him really endearing though.

Being a Bouwmeester would make him one of the better #2s in the league and that would be a really good outcome.

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
He was hit from behind by douche bag Kucherov........nothing anyone could have done there.....
He has had some tough luck for sure, but some injuries are impossible to protect yourself from.

It happened a lot of time last season where he put himself in danger. The Kucherov one was just the last one that got him injured. As for a example, first game of the season, against the leaf, he goes into the corner and sees eye-to-eye Reaves coming after him. What did Guhle do? He turned his back, exposed himselft bad and got drilled. He was that close to get injured first game of the year. Xhekaj than jumped Reaves. That’s just one of many examples.

Reactions: the valiant effort

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
Bouwmeester is an interesting comparison for Guhle. I can see it.

Guhle is already miles ahead in terms of comfort in front of cameras. 😆 Bouwmeester was hilariously shy.

Very different from the stereotypical hockey player. Made him really endearing though.

Being a Bouwmeester would make him one of the better #2s in the league and that would be a really good outcome.
Being one of the league's better #2 defencemen is probably the best projection/ceiling for this fine young defenseman . Also of great importance is Guhle's emergence as a leader of this team. You can see the respect hat his teammates have for this young player.

But with the approaching arrival of Demidov, Hutson and Mailloux, who will soon joining other current power play fixtures: Suzuki, Caufield, Dach, Matheson and Slafkovsky, those predicting Guhle's offensive emergence on Montreal's power play aren't reading the tea leaves correctly. Montreal will need Guhle to log big minutes playing: 5 on 5; against opponents' top lines and killing penalties. MSL will correctly employ the team's other more offensively talented players to create/run what should be one of the leagues' top power plays.

Evolving into a Bouwmeester-lite level player would be reasonable projection and an excellent outcome for Guhle and our fan base..

Last edited:
Reactions: Benstheman

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
It is a little disingenuous to state that he never scored more than 40 points when he did it in his draft year and only played 2 games in his D+1 season. In his D+2 he put up 40 points in 42 games and 16 in 19 playoff games while winning playoff MVP.

He likely never puts up 50 points in Montreal if Hutson and Mailloux continue to progress as he will not be on PP1 but this does not mean that he would not do so if given the chance. I feel like you have been putting old school defensive dman archetype comparisons on him since we drafted him and he has been continuously proving you to be wrong. You were originally limiting his potential because you thought that his skating was sub par which I vigorously argued against. I think you need to open your mind to more modern observation methods as the game and archetypes have drastically changed.
A lot of people thinks here that Guhle will probably become a steady 40 pts defenseman. I don’t believe it one second. He is a really good defender, but he won’t get a ton of point. A kind of Brett Pesce. I never saw, A player from the WHL scoring less in WHL than the NHL, in term of PPG. This league inflates numbers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad