Player Discussion Kaiden Guhle

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Tourigny loves Guhlewhohe considers a warrior and likely a building blocker a team.

As the Utah head coach, he'd likely be Hughes' best ally to sell a Guhle VS 6th OA trade.

Would Montreal be wise to sacrifice Guhle in order to pick 5th and 6th OA in this year's draft? Very difficult to go wrong picking at least ONE genuine top-6 forward with back-to-back picks that high at the draft, no?

Then again, if we go by Tourigny's praise of Guhle, we also already have a cornerstone on D?

If you could get the 6th OA for Guhle, should you at least consider it?

Trading definite strength at a position of strength to completely reshape your forward group in two to three years when the two prospects you drafted early have matured into NHLers?
Why would we trade our best young Dmen ? Where at position or strength for #4-5 LD not for 1st pair LD, he’s the only one with that celling

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
I'm saying it here for the posterity in case you want to use it against me in the future: you guys wanting to trade Guhle for some forward assets are insane. Guhle is a building block of the future, no doubt about it. All the rest that we have in our pool (Mailloux, Hudson, Engstrom, Trudeau, Reinbacher, Strubble, harris etc ) are still questionmarks that could disapear like a fart in high wind conditions. Guhle is solid.

Leaving a hole in defense to acquire some needed offense is typical Bergevin's way of doing things. Stop it.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
I’m unsure how brittle he is as well but he goes flying sometimes so much I remember laughing out loud because he entered and left the tv frame upside down and backwards after he’d been catapulted a few times already… It was so typical of his best Gorges imitations.

Playing his strong side should help but a Suzuki-like center of gravity and awareness would be great.. Maybe just being less reliant on his body, he’s not 250lbs.
Like Slaf, he needs to learn how to use his body efficiently. He just played his 21 yo season after all. Dmen take more time to fully develop.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Tourigny loves Guhlewhohe considers a warrior and likely a building blocker a team.

As the Utah head coach, he'd likely be Hughes' best ally to sell a Guhle VS 6th OA trade.

Would Montreal be wise to sacrifice Guhle in order to pick 5th and 6th OA in this year's draft? Very difficult to go wrong picking at least ONE genuine top-6 forward with back-to-back picks that high at the draft, no?

Then again, if we go by Tourigny's praise of Guhle, we also already have a cornerstone on D?

Trading definite strength at a position of strength to completely reshape your forward group in two to three years when the two prospects you drafted early have matured into NHLers?
Unless it's for Demidov, i don't do it.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Rarely do you find players this solid halfway through the first round. I am still a bit weary of his injuries/concussions but he is a great young defenseman. From 2012 through 2018 Bergevin screwed up drafting and developing young players. From 2019 on the Habs seem to have drafted some decent young players.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Matheson shouldn't be more than an short term temporary solution. And for me, the best would be to trade him this summer while his value is at it's highest.

Guhle and Hutson are the priorities on the left side. If Hutson can't establish himself on the 1st PP, he won't be a top 4 D in the NHL. So you better be ready to see him gradually take Matheson's spot on the PP as soon as next season.

If you want veteran presence, go get a top 4 RHD. Savard can't do it anymore. I like him alot but he should be on the bottom pair for his last year. What you need is a young veteran that can play big minutes to ease Reinbacher debut.

Reactions: HankyZetts

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014

What an horrific suggestion.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Like Slaf, he needs to learn how to use his body efficiently. He just played his 21 yo season after all. Dmen take more time to fully develop.
It was Slaf 19 yo season. He turned 20 at the end of March....

Or you meant Guhle with the 21 yo?

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Dude, you have to know which comments are serious and which aren't.

I know we're usually at odds but it's absolutely hilarious that you called it @Mrb1p :laugh:
It's too bad that this back and forth was with another poster (millertime), not me. Obviously it should have been quite clear that I was just joking in both posts.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

What are they adding? Guhle would go 2nd overall if he were to reenter knowing what we know.
It was Slaf 19 yo season. He turned 20 at the end of March....

Or you meant Guhle with the 21 yo?
Of course he's talking about Guhle.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
I have zero interest in trading him. We have strength at LD over the long term because we have Guhle. Trading him for a pick to draft Iginla or whoever is just opening up one weakness to potentially address another. This leaves us vulnerable if Hutson doesn't translate as a top pair guy at 5v5 and/or if Xhekaj ends up as more of a 4-5 than a real second pair option. Sure we have guys like Struble and Harris but you can't just fuse 2 or 3 different #5-6D into a top pair guy.

Last edited:

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
As much as I can understand the reasoning of trading Guhle and then drafting a LD who you think is probably going to be better player long term it just doesn't make any sense timeline wise. All of this years top Ds are probably 1-2 years from making the NHL and then they'll another 2-3 minimum to reach their potential, and that just doesn't fit the timeline of our core players very well.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
As much as I can understand the reasoning of trading Guhle and then drafting a LD who you think is probably going to be better player long term it just doesn't make any sense timeline wise. All of this years top Ds are probably 1-2 years from making the NHL and then they'll another 2-3 minimum to reach their potential, and that just doesn't fit the timeline of our core players very well.
Yep with a GM that is constantly trying to add young vets I highly doubt he would take a step backwards by trading a promising Dman who is about to break out.

Reactions: jaffy27

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
Guhle’s progression is off the charts. He is becoming a D that can carry whatever style D he’s paired with. At 22!!! When he plays on his strong side his offence is up and he makes his partner look better. Look at Barron when he was his partner, he didn’t look out of place.
I really like a lot of players in this draft but if Levshunov is available @5, we would have to take him….he’d definitely be BPA. Our future would be deadly and set for a decade +. Cheers.

Reactions: jaffy27 and Mrb1p

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
Guhle’s progression is off the charts. He is becoming a D that can carry whatever style D he’s paired with. At 22!!! When he plays on his strong side his offence is up and he makes his partner look better. Look at Barron when he was his partner, he didn’t look out of place.
I really like a lot of players in this draft but if Levshunov is available @5, we would have to take him….he’d definitely be BPA. Our future would be deadly and set for a decade +. Cheers.
And this is why if a trade of a d for offense goes ahead it is struble or wifi going the other way

Reactions: BJCOLLINS

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I’d definitely think twice before trading Xhekaj…..we have lots of D assets that are attractive….I’m looking forward to a Wifi- Mailloux pairing soon. Cheers

I suspect Hughes will be making some difficult trades as the years go by. Some good players will have to be moved to get the right mix.

Reactions: BJCOLLINS

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans

Habs are not trading Guhle for a pick lol

That’s ridiculous…..Habs are not rebuilding anymore, after this draft, they will fine tune the engine as this team is on the cusp to compete in the big race.

I can see Barron/Harris/Struble types being packaged with picks for players they identify as assets for future cup runs but Guhle is staying, he will be the pillar of our d core

If we can get core young forward might move him. Allows us to draft Dickinson
Extremely unlikely

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Going by the Fourth Period, Habs tell every team that calls that none of their Ds are for trade, even Norlinder.

In other equally trustworthy news.....I believe that I have discovered the Rosetta Stone for dogs and my first translation from my dog just said that Kaiden Guhle has a milk bone and two squirrell steaks for a pre-game meal.

Facts!

• Haha
Reactions: jaffy27

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
People that think this so called "rebuild" is over is out to lunch....we started our rebuild in 2021 its been 3 years.....

Reactions: the

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad