Kadri player discssion thread.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
The fact that some people seem determined to put him down no matter what doesn't change that fact.

Let's be honest here about Kadri, and it isn't just coming from HF's about Kadri blowing it last year.

If you've been watching the preseason games it was brought up several times that he was a disappointment last year.

Perhaps he's just a slow developer, and people have been expecting too much from a 7th. overall pick.

At 25, he should be ready to show what he's got, and Babcock is giving him every opportunity this year. At the end of the year we should hear zero excuses.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Kadri is gonna struggle hard going up against the best of the best on a nightly basis. I'd be surprised if he scored more than 50 points.

I would too.

This should be a good season for Kadri.

Looking at 60+ points, and 19 minutes a night in all roles, PK, PP, ES, 3v3.

60 points would put him around 25th. for centers, should be reasonable.

I'm looking for him to have a great year. Don't really care how many points he gets.

There's a lot more to player evaluation than sorting by points.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Let's be honest here about Kadri, and it isn't just coming from HF's about Kadri blowing it last year.

If you've been watching the preseason games it was brought up several times that he was a disappointment last year.

Perhaps he's just a slow developer, and people have been expecting too much from a 7th. overall pick.

At 25, he should be ready to show what he's got, and Babcock is giving him every opportunity this year. At the end of the year we should hear zero excuses.

LOL at this "excuse" garbage. Kadri has played well for several years now and is a firmly established quality #2 centre. What's to excuse? Perhaps you expected him to be the next Sundin? If so that's your problem, I suggest you get over it.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Just because trade value would come up doesn't mean a trade is on the horizon, unless it was a direct package trade for Stamkos.

Don't be a Darren Dreger. ;)

Just saying, IF the Leafs trade for or sign a #1C (like Stamkos for example) where would Kadri fit?

If Marner and Nylander develop into top 6 centers themselves where does Kadri fit in relation to them in the line-up?

Kadri might be competing for the #1C job this year but in a couple of years he might be #3C when the dust settles.

XXXX - Nylander --- XXXX
XXXX - Marner ----- XXXX
XXXX - Kadri ------- XXXX

Where Kadri fits into the big picture long-term will weigh heavily when it comes to Leafs and his next contract next summer. Are the Leaf going to give him a 7 to 8 year deal at > $6 mil if he has a big year statistically if he projects as Leafs #3C in a few years?

I personally believe Leafs management think Nylander and Marner have greater potential >> Kadri so it will matter in the future what they do with Naz.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
LOL at this "excuse" garbage. Kadri has played well for several years now and is a firmly established quality #2 centre. What's to excuse? Perhaps you expected him to be the next Sundin? If so that's your problem, I suggest you get over it.

Has nothing to do with Kadri, but I do have an expectation about what a 1st. line center for the Leafs should do.

It isn't about the player, it is about the team.

This isn't houseleague, the goal isn't to be better than your teammates, it is to be better than the competition.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
It should have happened a couple years earlier. Hopefully we can find a team Will by to take on Bozak's bloated contract before he regresses too much away from Kessel.

People should temper their expectations a bit when it comes to offensive totals. The Leafs will have one of their worst offensive seasons in recent memory - Biyes a PTO signing is the top line right wing..

I'll be surprised if either JavR or Kadri get ABOVE 55 points.

But if Kadri can demonstrate he's a consistent 45-55 point centre with fantastic possession numbers he will earn being resigned. Centres like that don't grow on trees.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
Just saying, IF the Leafs trade for or sign a #1C (like Stamkos for example) where would Kadri fit?

If Marner and Nylander develop into top 6 centers themselves where does Kadri fit in relation to them in the line-up?

Kadri might be competing for the #1C job this year but in a couple of years he might be #3C when the dust settles.

XXXX - Nylander --- XXXX
XXXX - Marner ----- XXXX
XXXX - Kadri ------- XXXX

Where Kadri fits into the big picture long-term will weigh heavily when it comes to Leafs and his next contract next summer. Are the Leaf going to give him a 7 to 8 year deal at > $6 mil if he has a big year statistically if he projects as Leafs #3C in a few years?

I personally believe Leafs management think Nylander and Marner have greater potential >> Kadri so it will matter in the future what they do with Naz.

I think one of Marner or Nylander will develop as a winger who can play at center. Probably Marner as he seems to prefer it. Shannyco asked him to play center this year, where Nylander asked to play center.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
He's playing with JVR too, a legitimate top 6 winger and maybe even a top liner depending on who you ask. JVR has 61 and 56 points the last two seasons, no excuses for Kadri.

I don't think you understand I don't like nor have I ever liked Kadri I don't think he will succeed but he certainly won't succeed playing with Boyes and you know what that's OK

HOPEFULLY we end up drafting Msthews or landing a big fish on July 1 and turning the team around that way.

But either way I don't think Kadri is part of a cup winning team in Toronto in any form or fashion

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010

Agreed.

He's produced very respectable numbers the last 2 years despite being on this ****-show of a team. He did very good improving his defensive game last season while the first-line was a complete joke defensively (which everyone seems to love blaming Kessel for even though Bozak and JVR were utter crap defensively as well).

I don't see anyone saying Kadri is a legit #1C. What he is, is a quality #2C with some good attributes to his game. Babcock seems to like him so far. :handclap:

It should have happened a couple years earlier. Hopefully we can find a team Will by to take on Bozak's bloated contract before he regresses too much away from Kessel.

People should temper their expectations a bit when it comes to offensive totals. The Leafs will have one of their worst offensive seasons in recent memory - Biyes a PTO signing is the top line right wing..

I'll be surprised if either JavR or Kadri get ABOVE 55 points.

But if Kadri can demonstrate he's a consistent 45-55 point centre with fantastic possession numbers he will earn being resigned. Centres like that don't grow on trees.

Not to mention that Babcock LOVES having depth at the center position. Common sense tells me that he's going to want to have Kadri around.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
He's playing with JVR too, a legitimate top 6 winger and maybe even a top liner depending on who you ask. JVR has 61 and 56 points the last two seasons, no excuses for Kadri.

JVR got those point totals playing alongside Kessel one of the best offensive forces in the league.

Speaking of which Kessel out over just 60 points last season himself. Today's NHL is very low scoring - I think this thread is really underestimating just how difficult that 60 point mark is to hit these days.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Has nothing to do with Kadri, but I do have an expectation about what a 1st. line center for the Leafs should do.

It isn't about the player, it is about the team.

This isn't houseleague, the goal isn't to be better than your teammates, it is to be better than the competition.

It isn't house-league, really? Well gee thanks for that condescending comment. FYI, I'm pretty sure being better than your team-mates isn't the goal in house-league either. :shakehead

You keep throwing out point-totals you would like to see from Kadri. If you don't understand that there's a lot more to player evaluation than raw point totals I really don't know what else to say to you.

JVR got those point totals playing alongside Lessel one of the best offensive forces in the league.

Speaking of which Kessel out over just 60 points last season himself. Today's NHL is very low scoring - I think this thread is really underestimating just how difficult that 60 point mark is to hit these days.

So true.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
He's the Leafs' de facto number 1 center but I question him having the physical robustness to handle this role through a long season. I think the best use of Kadri this season is equal even strength ice time as Holland and Bozak but with number 1 PP ice time.

Kadri might be the Leaf's best option for the #1 centre, but please don't kid yourselves, he's nowhere near being a true #1 centre. Too small, selfish, inconsistent, immature, the list goes on and on. I'll be very surprised if he can maintain a consistent game for any significant length of time.

HockeyCA

Dec 15, 2009
“Over time, he’ll become the player and the man he wants to be,†Babcock said. “I think that’s a work in progress, but Naz has done a real good job and should feel good about himself.â€

I think the bolded is often overlooked, and will also be closely watched by management to see what they really got. This is a big year for Kadri, and will most likely determine whether he is a Leaf moving forward or is moved for someone who they think fits more with what management and Babcock is trying to accomplish.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
“Over time, he’ll become the player and the man he wants to be,†Babcock said. “I think that’s a work in progress, but Naz has done a real good job and should feel good about himself.â€

I think the bolded is often overlooked, and will also be closely watched by management to see what they really got. This is a big year for Kadri, and will most likely determine whether he is a Leaf moving forward or is moved for someone who they think fits more with what management and Babcock is trying to accomplish.

I think the same can be said for every single player on the team.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
This team is going to be painful to watch with this guy as the number 1

is he an improvement over bozak? in certain aspects yes(offensively), in other aspects no(faceoffs) and they're about equal defensively(I've never been wow'd by either).

Kadri has never shown to be more than a 2nd line C, that shortened season shouldn't be taken too much into account as half the players werent in NHL condition when the season started and once everyone caught up Kadri was going back to the norm(more of a 50-60 point pace).

he's a solid 50-60 point centre, a useful piece, but we're going to lose a lot of games with him and Brad Boyes being our first line.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Kadri over or under 65?

I'll take the over. He's going to have his best year in the NHL.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
This team is going to be painful to watch with this guy as the number 1

is he an improvement over bozak? in certain aspects yes(offensively), in other aspects no(faceoffs) and they're about equal defensively(I've never been wow'd by either).

Kadri has never shown to be more than a 2nd line C, that shortened season shouldn't be taken too much into account as half the players werent in NHL condition when the season started and once everyone caught up Kadri was going back to the norm(more of a 50-60 point pace).

he's a solid 50-60 point centre, a useful piece, but we're going to lose a lot of games with him and Brad Boyes being our first line.

I'd rather lose with him and Boyes on our first line than with Bozak and Boyes on the first line. It can't be anymore painful than watching Bozak on the first line for like the 7th season in a row or whatever the hell it is.

Last edited:

wmark

Apr 5, 2014
Kadri might be the Leaf's best option for the #1 centre, but please don't kid yourselves, he's nowhere near being a true #1 centre. Too small, selfish, inconsistent, immature, the list goes on and on. I'll be very surprised if he can maintain a consistent game for any significant length of time.

Immature? I don't recall him drinking and driving and crashing into a tree. :laugh:

What are your opinion on Ryan O'rielly's and Zack Kassian maturity level?

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Kadri is gonna struggle hard going up against the best of the best on a nightly basis. I'd be surprised if he scored more than 50 points.

He's not going to go up against the "best of the best" on a nightly basis. He's going to do it for max 41 games, and that assumes opposing coaches think he's a threat worth targeting.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
He's not going to go up against the "best of the best" on a nightly basis. He's going to do it for max 41 games, and that assumes opposing coaches think he's a threat worth targeting.

The effects of quality of competition are incredibly overrated around here. All the statistics out there show that it's a very marginal difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad