Player Discussion Kaapo Kakko

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
He's been a huge bust so far (if we look at the hype, performancewise, it's not like he was drafted 2 years ago). I think he could become a solid player but that won't be with us.

Typical player that needs a change of scenery.

I used to be super high on him but every season is the same and he just can't put up points.

What does our record have to do with this discussion?
Look at his username.

Cuckoo4Kakko

Jul 1, 2019
What does our record have to do with this discussion?
Someone is coming here to whine about a guy who is doing fine, while we are winning. His line isn’t giving up any goals. They are helping us win. To me that’s a pathetic take.

He's been a huge bust so far (if we look at the hype, performancewise, it's not like he was drafted 2 years ago). I think he could become a solid player but that won't be with us.

Typical player that needs a change of scenery.

I used to be super high on him but every season is the same and he just can't put up points.

Look at his username.
I’ll change my username to something about Perreault if it makes you happy. I’ll still show up here and call out dumb posts 🤷

Cuckoo4Kakko

Jul 1, 2019
the only reason that people who are level headed about Kakkos current utility exceeding his cap hit and acknowledge his suboptimal development seem like total fluffers is because of how ridiculously negative others are.
Yep. No one is saying anything insane. Just that his line is doing well. That’s one side.

The other side is huge bust. Will never be a solid player here.

He already is a solid player here. He’s just not gonna be great here. But our 1C isn’t great and he’s got 700 years left on his contract so I’m just gonna be happy our 3rd line is giving us great value for the cost.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
Yep. No one is saying anything insane. Just that his line is doing well. That’s one side.

The other side is huge bust. Will never be a solid player here.

He already is a solid player here. He’s just not gonna be great here. But our 1C isn’t great and he’s got 700 years left on his contract so I’m just gonna be happy our 3rd line is giving us great value for the cost.
I still think he could be a top 6 guy for the right team. Even for our team. But the main opportunities he's gotten are with Zib and Kreider, and that line hasn't been able to gel much with anyone after Buch was traded.

Last year, he spent most of the season with 4th line quality centers like Brodzinsky.

This season, with Chytil, will be a real test for him. Chytil plays a genuine North-South style game that Zib used to play and also shoots the puck well. When paired with Laf, they were effective in the together in generating points during the 2022 playoff run.

The two of them are now entering their prime together and are finally both healthy. I would love to see Kreider put on that line and for it to be promoted as the #2 line and Zib centering Smith and Cuyle as more of a 3rd shut down line with a potential scoring touch.

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
Really grasping at the last straws here to hope he turns into the top 6 piece we want long term, but Kakko's xGf right now projects to be a lot like Lafreniere's was last season... if he keeps up what he's doing over 82 games.

Obviously the point pace isn't there but the xGf seems to be.

Of course this is just another way of saying how Kakko seems to be the unluckiest player in the league. But last year his xGf was 26.6 over 61 games. In 2022-23 when he scored 40 points his xGf was 53.3, that was his best year.

This year he's at 4.2 through 5 games. Multiply that pace out and he reaches 68.6 xGf, that nearly equals Lafreniere's xGf from last year which was 69.1. Maybe he'll never be a line driver but you get the feeling that if Chytil gets hot, Kakko also will get hot.

DuneGoon84

Jun 21, 2019
Nope. The game was very quiet for Kakko. Or so I hear from really smart Rangers fans.
Some folks go cuckoo for kakko. Wasn't even talking down to him. Kk is my guy. Love it when he contributes. He just lacks speed relax kiddo. You'll live longer. Breathe

Besides I consider kakko to be one of our better passers. He will get his points for sure.

Row I Goon

Nov 14, 2018
IMG_1495.jpeg

Cuckoo4Kakko

Jul 1, 2019
he was fabulous tonight and i loved the face wash and lunch he gave Evans in front of the net. kid is pissed
He hasn’t backed down this year from anyone. They clearly have a plan for him in front of the net and it’s forcing him to be more involved. We gotta stop calling this the 3rd line. Mika and friends are the 3rd line. This is line 2.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Deservedly so. Every player on the team had an xGF% in excess of 57%. Well except the Zibanejad line. Smith was basically a 45%. Zibadejad 33%, Kreider 31%
yup.
Kakko and chytil were in the 90s. I’ve got no problem feeding ice time to guys who are performing well and just rotating.
Especially when Mika and Ck get time on the pp.

The 4th is just smothering and now scores.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
yup.
Kakko and chytil were in the 90s. I’ve got no problem feeding ice time to guys who are performing well and just rotating.
Especially when Mika and Ck get time on the pp.

The 4th is just smothering and now scores.
PP and PK. let the zib line feast on special teams and roll the other lines at evens

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad