Player Discussion Kaapo Kakko

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Kakko is a decent third liner who can put up 30-40 point a year. People expect him to be Ovechkin cause he was drafted high. He's Jamie Lundmark/Manny Malholtra. Lower your expectations.

Not anymore but I expect more than 1 goal in 11 playoff games . Time to stop pretending he’s anything more than a depth guy on this team

I’m sure he’s gone next year because he’s RFA and going to want to go to a new spot where he gets too 6 minutes and new linemates

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Not anymore but I expect more than 1 goal in 11 playoff games . Time to stop pretending he’s anything more than a depth guy on this team

I’m sure he’s gone next year because he’s RFA and going to want to go to a new spot where he gets too 6 minutes and new linemates
As a RFA can we still trade him if need be?

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Kaapo's got a very good game away from the puck. There are times when things start coming together for him but there are too many times when he's a non factor production wise. The thing you get with Rempe even with all his warts is a guy you can go to war with and usually the deeper you go in playoffs the more and more you need guys you can go to war with. Maybe you don't roll with him all game but when he's out on the ice opponents heads are up.

I wouldn't take Cuylle out of the lineup for pretty much the same reasons. He's not nearly the nuclear deterrent that Rempe is but he's going to hit whoever he can whenever and he's a big guy too. He's also got a very good two way game.

To me the weakest links as far as our regular forwards so far have been Kakko, Wennberg and Roslovic. None of them have been awful but I'd like to see more from each. Wennberg can pk. Roslovic can bring the puck up the ice with speed but Kakko and Wennberg's play away from the puck is better. Kakko cycles and holds on to pucks the best.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Kaapo's got a very good game away from the puck. There are times when things start coming together for him but there are too many times when he's a non factor production wise. The thing you get with Rempe even with all his warts is a guy you can go to war with and usually the deeper you go in playoffs the more and more you need guys you can go to war with. Maybe you don't roll with him all game but when he's out on the ice opponents heads are up.

I wouldn't take Cuylle out of the lineup for pretty much the same reasons. He's not nearly the nuclear deterrent that Rempe is but he's going to hit whoever he can whenever and he's a big guy too. He's also got a very good two way game.

To me the weakest links as far as our regular forwards so far have been Kakko, Wennberg and Roslovic. None of them have been awful but I'd like to see more from each. Wennberg can pk. Roslovic can bring the puck up the ice with speed but Kakko and Wennberg's play away from the puck is better. Kakko cycles and holds on to pucks the best.
This is my thinking too. Have a hard time thinking Kakko is jazzing anyone up in the locker room. He is a total non factor

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011

I think both Wenn and Rozi have had bad moments but their speed and puck carrying help our team vs Florida. I don't think we can afford to give up that aspect in this series.

Lately I've wondered if he ever played RW.

I remember at hockey camp Al Arbour telling me that right wings need to shoot the puck.

Yes i go that far back.
I guess #22 listened to Al.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

Daves a mess

Jan 8, 2014
I think both Wenn and Rozi have had bad moments but their speed and puck carrying help our team vs Florida. I don't think we can afford to give up that aspect in this series.

I guess #22 listened to Al.
Yup, and the reason Al told me this is because of what I wasn't doing well enough to compete in the 3 v 3 after scrimmage shootout .

Reactions: NickyFotiu

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle

This is the sad, long & short of it.

Is Kakko a better player than Rempe? For sure. But his impact (pun slightly intended) is much less than Rempe's

That's the problem in & of itself.

For Kakko to be effective he needs to posses the puck (which he does) but also CREATE scoring chances which he doesn't (for the most part)

Matt Rentfree

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
This is the sad, long & short of it.

Is Kakko a better player than Rempe? For sure. But his impact (pun slightly intended) is much less than Rempe's

That's the problem in & of itself.

For Kakko to be effective he needs to posses the puck (which he does) but also CREATE scoring chances which he doesn't (for the most part)
Kakko needs the same thing he has needed since we drafted him - a summer with Barb Underhill or the equivalent.

LoveGoons

Mar 3, 2021
I thought kakko is playing really well but the panthers are a ready nasty team. The needed some more aggressiviness with Rempe and vesey is basically a Pk player.
He is the only who creates offense and can hit the side of a barn with his shot on a 3rd and 4th lines.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
i think with a little more juice, maybe after the scratch, kakko could succeed against Fla. they're not as fast

JaeTM

Dec 3, 2009
Long Island
Ever since he entered the league he has set up many plays that somehow end up in a post or a great save. He’s definitely been unlucky that his teammates rarely seem to finish for him.

Now he’s not doing himself any favors offensively in terms of scoring for himself. He clearly needs to improve his skating tenfold, and learn to drive to the net after cycling down low/shoot when he gets to the circle. Too many times he will just cycle and then immediately pass to the point. If he can improve on his skating and actually drive to the net and shoot he can be a 60+ point player. Will it be here? Doubt it at this rate.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Ever since he entered the league he has set up many plays that somehow end up in a post or a great save. He’s definitely been unlucky that his teammates rarely seem to finish for him.

Now he’s not doing himself any favors offensively in terms of scoring for himself. He clearly needs to improve his skating tenfold, and learn to drive to the net after cycling down low/shoot when he gets to the circle. Too many times he will just cycle and then immediately pass to the point. If he can improve on his skating and actually drive to the net and shoot he can be a 60+ point player. Will it be here? Doubt it at this rate.

He just creates plays so rarely that when he does and they result in a post hit it's memorable.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
He just creates plays so rarely that when he does and they result in a post hit it's memorable.
this is the current narrative. it's just incorrect. Reading this you'd think that zibanejads line creates a grade A scoring chance every time down the ice. This, we know, is noncents.

What Kakko does consistently is possess the puck in the O zone, down low, wearing down the other team.

He needs to play with good players who can help him create. That's a 40 point player with excellent metrics.

If he learns to cut into the middle and shoot more while improving his skating, that's a 65 point pkayer

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
this is the current narrative. it's just incorrect. Reading this you'd think that zibanejads line creates a grade A scoring chance every time down the ice. This, we know, is noncents.

What Kakko does consistently is possess the puck in the O zone, down low, wearing down the other team.

He needs to play with good players who can help him create. That's a 40 point player with excellent metrics.

If he learns to cut into the middle and shoot more while improving his skating, that's a 65 point pkayer

I really think that if he weren't a #2 overall these narratives wouldn't exist. He's a good fourth liner that maybe one day would be a good fourth liner. Not all his fault but right now we have two fourth lines.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
I really think that if he weren't a #2 overall these narratives wouldn't exist. He's a good fourth liner that maybe one day would be a good fourth liner. Not all his fault but right now we have two fourth lines.
if you're purely looking at even strength point production i guess?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad