Player Discussion Kaapo Kakko

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
I don't think he was scapegoated. I think Lavi made the smart move getting Rempe in for KK tonight. Hopefully this lights a fire under KK and he plays so well he never sits again.
The bigger issue is that kakko doesn't have a true role here. He does pk and he isnt an offensive factor. This isn't a kakko vs rempe thing but for the sake of the lineup today it was bc there are other players throughout the lineup of forward that have a role or skill that contributes to the group. Unfortunately right now kakko has gone back to stone hands on rushes and panic plays on cycles. He blindly chucked the puck to the slot to no one several times in game 1, in a game and series that is about puck possession and making the opponent meet you to take it away.

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil
The bigger issue is that kakko doesn't have a true role here. He does pk and he isnt an offensive factor. This isn't a kakko vs rempe thing but for the sake of the lineup today it was bc there are other players throughout the lineup of forward that have a role or skill that contributes to the group. Unfortunately right now kakko has gone back to stone hands on rushes and panic plays on cycles. He blindly chucked the puck to the slot to no one several times in game 1, in a game and series that is about puck possession and making the opponent meet you to take it away.
He is a forgettable player. Basically a Goodrow with good charts but whitout the playoffs performances.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
In the short term KK can't change much except play harder and better. He is capable of hitting a hot streak.

In the long term KK is really going to have to put in the offseason work if he wants his future career to be better than his first 5 seasons.

Cuckoo4Kakko

Jul 1, 2019
Game 1 he set up the Schneider breakaway and gave Wennberg a few chances. Vesey was awful game 1. It should have been Vesey scratched. But I said before the game Lavy gets benefit of the doubt….then we win.

If he wants to play Kakko game 3, great. If he goes Wheeler or Brodz, I’ll still disagree but he gets benefit of the doubt. He’s got us to this point. Gotta have faith in Lavy.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Maybe I'm wrong for this and he seems like a good kid but he's such a disappointment that while I obviously always root for him to do well because it helps the Rangers, it's hard for me to muster up the energy to actually root for him. Seems like a good kid but an unlikeable player who is just a massive bust.

Reactions: Fvital92

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Kind of a sign Vesey went down.

Perfect opportunity for the kid to redeem himself and help the team in a big way.

Should absolutely go back in, start him with Rempe and Goodrow. If you are going defense late, he slides up with Cuylle and Wennberg.

I like Jimbo, but he's been a disaster at five on five for the duration of the playoffs.

Screenshot (296).png

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Should absolutely go back in, start him with Rempe and Goodrow. If you are going defense late, he slides up with Cuylle and Wennberg.

I like Jimbo, but he's been a disaster at five on five for the duration of the playoffs.

View attachment 875543

Oh yeah. Getting Rempe back in was a good move and if you can simultaneously light a fire under Kak - that’s how Lavi has become a conference champion three times and has a cup. It’s just good coaching. Even if I disagree with the concept of benching Kak. I’ve seen lots of our guys (including last night) making shit passes, etc.

We are in this series. Bob is due for a shit game as well. I don’t think he looked that incredible last night, Florida is just a very good hockey team top to bottom.

Cuckoo4Kakko

Jul 1, 2019
Maybe I'm wrong for this and he seems like a good kid but he's such a disappointment that while I obviously always root for him to do well because it helps the Rangers, it's hard for me to muster up the energy to actually root for him. Seems like a good kid but an unlikeable player who is just a massive bust.
You say worse about Igor so even if you are correct, it’s hard to take you seriously.

turcotte8

Feb 15, 2008
NY
Kakko is a decent third liner who can put up 30-40 point a year. People expect him to be Ovechkin cause he was drafted high. He's Jamie Lundmark/Manny Malholtra. Lower your expectations.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
I don't think he was scapegoated. I think Lavi made the smart move getting Rempe in for KK tonight. Hopefully this lights a fire under KK and he plays so well he never sits again.
Gallant: Who dis?

Lavi: it's Peter Laviolette

Gallant: Oh, hey, Petey

Lavi: I scratched Kakko

Gallant: finally did it huh?

Lavi: i explained it to him. Maybe it lights a fire under him. Right? Hello? Gerry, you still with me?

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Kakko is a decent third liner who can put up 30-40 point a year. People expect him to be Ovechkin cause he was drafted high. He's Jamie Lundmark/Manny Malholtra. Lower your expectations.
I think KK is more productive than those guys but I understand your point. The time for talk is over. We really need KK to show us his best soon. When he is at his best he has been an asset. My disappointment comes because we rarely see his best. KK can be better than what he has shown this season. I really hoped he was going to make people forget his regular season with a great playoff. If I was his family or agent I would tell him 1-2 playoff goals will change people's mindset pretty fast.

Reactions: turcotte8

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I have a feeling Laviolette has communicated this well to Kakko (unlike Gallant), he even made sure not to put the lack of scoring on him when asked about it:

Reactions: NickyFotiu

WojtekWolski86

Nov 14, 2019
I’d take him out. He’s only useful at MSG with the crowd

Kreider , Zib , Chytil
Panarin , Trotchek , Laf
Cuylee , Wennberg , Roslovic
Kakko , Goodrow , Wheeler
That 4th line would be way too slow to get out of their own zone let alone forecheck and possess the puck up the ice.

I'd flip Cuyle and Kaako.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad