Player Discussion Kaapo Kakko

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
kk is a strong dude!!! anybody see him absorb that timo hit the other night?
He's going to be a monster. He hasnt filled out completely yet.

this shows me he's still a ways off.

Rantanen is a unit. Kakko needs to become a unit.

Get horrible confidence from him in that picture. He's built like Lafreniere here.
Ratanen is 2" taller, 15 lbs heavier and 4 years older.

Of course hes going to look like a unit next to him. Kakko will close the gap in 2 years, but there arent many guys in the NHL built like Rat

I think the most important thing is that he IS standing next to him. Every summer.

Last edited:

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
kk is a strong dude!!! anybody see him absorb that timo hit the other night?

He bodied Charlie Coyle (whose pretty large himself) nicely last night too.

I loved that they have him dropping back and breaking the puck in on the powerplay. He’s got amazing hands and he’s got plenty of speedy once he gets going.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014
He always had great puck protection skills, but he definitely looks way more explosive off his edges this preseason. I hope he uses that to be a bit more selfish cutting through traffic because he’s shown that ability to be able to create plays out of nothing by himself

dangsLITE

Jan 16, 2011
NYC
He's going to be a monster. He hasnt filled out completely yet.

Ratanen is 2" taller, 15 lbs heavier and 4 years older.

Of course hes going to look like a unit next to him. Kakko will close the gap in 2 years, but there arent many guys in the NHL built like Rat

I think the most important thing is that he IS standing next to him. Every summer.
The photo was also from summer 2021 lol

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
shop.profetkeyboards.com
Had a 71.60 CF% in preseason, best on the team. 74.56 XGf%, 2nd best on the team. On the ice for 13 high danger chances, most among forwards.

For as bad as it looks for Laf, you should be excited for what this guy has shown. The new coach might be the best thing that has happened to him.
I'm excited for him this season...

Provided he doesn't get saddled with a terribad Laf-able LW.

markymarc1215

Jan 8, 2023
Southwest Florida
I am rooting for this kid!

I am starting to believe with top 6 ice time, PP time (hoping PK too), a coach that believes in him, and some confidence, that Kakko just might get close to hitting his potential. All of the tools are in the toolbox. Now he just has to build. And if he does, that single handedly changes the complexion of this team's present and future.

It actually took Laf's level of play and work ethic to make me fully appreciate Kakko.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
I am rooting for this kid!

I am starting to believe with top 6 ice time, PP time (hoping PK too), a coach that believes in him, and some confidence, that Kakko just might get close to hitting his potential. All of the tools are in the toolbox. Now he just has to build. And if he does, that single handedly changes the complexion of this team's present and future.

It actually took Laf's level of play and work ethic to make me fully appreciate Kakko.

We can't fault his commitment. Over the years we've asked him to fix his skating, work on his muffin shot, his strength, leg strength and overall strength etc. He's done that.

Skating - check
Shot - check
Strength - check
Defense - check
etc.

Sure they are works in progress but isn't that always the case. This kid will be a superlative player sooner rather than later. Next thing is confidence and to accept that he has the right to be there and the right to do things his own way. He is *still* kind of asking for permission to play with the Big Guys to "show what he can do". (That mindset is also telling about how the room works.) Screw that.

Go for the kill. Shoot the puck. Own the ice.

• Love
Reactions: TopShelfSnipes

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
You gotta ride this kid all season, keep him up top and in a position to succeed.

If Lav does, he should approach 55 points, without the usual PP1 time. If he's added who knows.

I think he looks pretty damn crisp out there on the PP on his wall.

However, he needs to perfect his positioning for a one-timer and actually drive it cleanly/consistently when he gets the chance (this goes for 5on5 as well). And he needs to work on receiving the puck (likely from the right point, he should work with whoevers there) and immediately make a quick step to the slot on his forehand for a shot.

He's got the skills to do that and we saw last night his shot came off his stick quick and he fooled Swayman who had a very good game.

Last edited:

avgard

Jan 8, 2017
earlier at this NYR forums banned ..now oops pages could not be loading . im feeling there something odd here. professor needet putting words here for right direction and no no. maybe another cold winter for kakko a coming? better preparing starting jogging rounds at Manhattan island for better condition and staying ready for something to come . othervise could start feeling very cold at NYR bench . another year with panarins and zinbanjedads necks a holdet by team headquarters and coach? starting to feeling NYR holiday soon could be done. maybe seeing kakko you at jogging round? kakko., we gotta talk. this season you must become angry and playing for yourself no more standing at ice and smiling

sir avgard hockeyprofessor

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
earlier at this NYR forums banned ..now oops pages could not be loading . im feeling there something odd here. professor needet putting words here for right direction and no no. maybe another cold winter for kakko a coming? better preparing starting jogging rounds at Manhattan island for better condition and staying ready for something to come . othervise could start feeling very cold at NYR bench . another year with panarins and zinbanjedads necks a holdet by team headquarters and coach? starting to feeling NYR holiday soon could be done. maybe seeing kakko you at jogging round? kakko., we gotta talk. this season you must become angry and playing for yourself no more standing at ice and smiling

A lot of gold here but only referring to them by these names from now on.

Avgard rules. Kakko will wear the hero dress this year don't worry.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
That makes me feel better
Rantanen going to annually mark Kakko's growth with a pencil on a wall in the training facility.

A lot of gold here but only referring to them by these names from now on.

Avgard rules. Kakko will wear the hero dress this year don't worry.
Zinbanjedads

Because he's a father now

Jauffre

Registered Grandmaster
Oct 10, 2009
Cloud Ruler Temple

giphy.gif

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Kakko finishes as a top 4 scorer on this team this year.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Kakko just needs to shoot the damn puck

Worry about being a playmaker later, start by shooting every time you have a vaguely clear shot at the net.
Once the other team is worried about you being a shooter you can try to force some passes

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
I think I posted on this exact forum back in 2020, that If both of them ended up as busts I’d be done being a fan of this franchise.

Hanging on by a Kakko -sized thread rn

I remember people saying that. People were speaking up already then.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Nice to see Kakko getting some PP1 work in practice.

I'm happy he has made a good impression with this coaching staff, credit to his play in camp this year. He saw an opportunity and took it, although he was really just being himself. He didnt overthink things. There is a maturity growing into his game now and thats a great sign.

That being said, two things need to happen:

1. The coaching staff needs to be patient and not yank him off the top line if things dont materialize quickly. I mean this should really be the plan for the entire team given they are learning a new system, but to me its imperative for Kakko given his history with previous staffs. Let the kid play now and allow him to make some mistakes. He wont make many.

2. Kakko needs to grow his game on this line and rise to the occasion. He needs to get a little selfish and not be afraid to become the shooter. He doesnt need to defer to Mika and Kreids every chance he gets. Hes just as talented. I think it was Gagline who pointed out that for him to break into the 20-30 goal category he's gotta shoot more. Trust your game and be aggressive to the net with the puck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad