Player Discussion Kaapo Kakko

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cuckoo4Kakko

Jul 1, 2019
He's never had natural chemistry with Zib and Kreider, as is the case with Panarin and Zib. I've mentioned this often. Kakko on the first line with those two is a project so I'm not impatient but looking to PL and the coaches to get it to work over time.

If you are looking at pure chemistry playing with Cuylle and Tro (or Chytil) is a better fit, but then all the talk about FIRST line this and that starts again. Kakko had chemistry with Cuylle and Othmann in pre-season.
Kakko has a 62 CF% right now. I'm not close to worried yet.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
to me it's leave him there to either succeed and become a top player or succeed and become a complementary player who can help a top line do well

Where it falls is "up to him" but either way the team wins versus shuffling him down the lineup

of course I want him to become a top player but even if he just helps a top line and isn't a standout on his own, at least he was given the chance and we got what was possible even if it's disappointing

Reactions: 007

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
He’s been disappointing so far. I thought we might see him take a step forward, and maybe he will but I think his Skating and his hockey IQ are just not good enough to be a producer in the NHL. quite frankly he’s not even particularly good along the walls, he easily gets rubbed off the puck or closed on and he has to shovel the puck away or force it to the point, never is able to break down a defense.

bouds

Feb 9, 2009
Ahh the torches are out for Kakko again.

The kid flashes, but lets be real, there's 0 consistency with his game. He'll be a ghost for a few nights, then look like he's a talented player with bad luck. Frustrating player, maybe he turns it around at some point.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
The kid flashes, but lets be real, there's 0 consistency with his game. He'll be a ghost for a few nights, then look like he's a talented player with bad luck. Frustrating player, maybe he turns it around at some point.
Ya, if everyone else was playing well but him id agree but from the sounds of it there weren't many bright lights tonight.

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
He'd have points if Zibanejad would shoot the damn puck from the slot at even strength and stop trying to be cute and pass for tap-ins.

Dude has a well above average wrist shot. Use it. Stop with the dipsy doodle cute crap and going wide/passing from the slot. SHOOT.

Kakko should have like 3-4 assists already.

Literally set him up in the slot tonight, great angle, "royal road" pass received on his offside. Could aim anywhere he wanted with a moving goalie. What did Zibanejad do? Passed back to Kakko in double coverage at a bad angle beside the goalline and Kakko predictably missed the net.

Maybe if Zibanejad would act like a 40 goal scorer and not the second coming of late career age 40+ Adam Oates, that line would put up some points at ES.

Last edited:

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Hey all, in peace. What would you realistically want for Kakko? What are you looking for? Unlike Lafreniere, I think Kakko does a lot of things well, even if he isn’t likely to live up to his draft position. Our pipeline at wing is pretty barren, and we can use a legit young nhl forward right now, because our forward group other than Bedard is terrible. So there could be a fit if we have anything you’d (realistically) want that didn’t include our recent top picks. We also have a few extra 2nd’s this year, and Toronto’s 1st in 2025 that can easily be on the table.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Hey all, in peace. What would you realistically want for Kakko? What are you looking for? Unlike Lafreniere, I think Kakko does a lot of things well, even if he isn’t likely to live up to his draft position. Our pipeline at wing is pretty barren, and we can use a legit young nhl forward right now, because our forward group other than Bedard is terrible. So there could be a fit if we have anything you’d (realistically) want that didn’t include our recent top picks. We also have a few extra 2nd’s this year, and Toronto’s 1st in 2025 that can easily be on the table.
Hey, all in peace -

What would you realistically want for Bedard?

Our top lottery picks havent really panned out and we could use a legit superstar in the making.

So there could be a fit there.

;)

Jokes aside - If i was another GM i'd be all about adding Kakko to my roster. He wouldnt come with as much expectations and if you have space for a PP1 player give him a shot there. Otherwise he'd be a really good 3rd liner on a solid team who can play top 6 min.

Im not as down on Kakko as I am with Laffy, but after a very strong preseason his game has been frustratingly quiet and inconsistent (he isnt the only one)

As far as what it would take to get him?

I would think Drury would want a lot and no one should/would do that. Even IF they may see the writing on the wall with both Kakko and Laf, they are kinda stuck with them. With the current team they have and Shesty, they are in win-now mode. So you would want to replace these guys with veteran performers. They dont have cap space to add that. No one is giving away young talent. They arent stockpiling picks. Its obvious they arent going to start a half-assed rebuild/retool again. They dont believe in that. You would just be trading for trades sake or if the player wanted out.

I know a lot of fans want to boot Laf out of here, but are you really going to find an upgrade in return that actually plays in the NHL right now? And its a potential risk he could find it down the road. I mean if you clear space for Kane then maybe thats the reasoning. I dont know

Last edited:

hawksrule

May 18, 2014
Hey, all in peace -

What would you realistically want for Bedard?

Our top lottery picks havent really panned out and we could use a legit superstar in the making.

So there could be a fit there.

;)
If you think he’s going to be a superstar, you obviously hang onto him.

Edit: I see you added to your post. Yeah, like I said, I’d like to add him. Not saying “he sucks, trade him to us”. Curious what a legit return would look like.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
If you think he’s going to be a superstar, you obviously hang onto him.

Edit: I see you added to your post. Yeah, like I said, I’d like to add him. Not saying “he sucks, trade him to us”. Curious what a legit return would look like.
Thats the thing. I dont think anyone realistically thinks either will become a superstar. That shipped is sailed and likely sunk into the abyss unfortunately.

They are becoming complimentary players who you hope "break out". Even with that, what is the ceiling? Its not Stutzle or Hughes level. No way.

Thats why i think Kakko is more valuable. He does a lot more things and if he settles into a Jere Lehtinen type then I'm more than fine with that. Not thrilled by the outcome if you rewind back to their draft days, but at least theres some value there if hes an important cog in a winning team.

Reactions: hawksrule

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
He continues to look good on the ice, he even seems to be developing chemistry with CK and Zibs! Yet underwhelms HARD with points.

Personally I think it's because scoring off the cycle and extended possession is tough in the NHL and that's Kakko's strength. When his defensive play, and literally one touch of the puck in the D zone, leads to an odd man rush he gets a points without breaking a sweat.

Rush chances are a goalie's menace. That's how NYR made it to the cup against the Kings, we were (mostly) a counterattack rush team and great at it. The Kings were our kryptonite as they were so simple through the NZ and in the Ozone, heavy on the forecheck after simple dumps, and our speedy guys were mostly worn down when we got the puck out. Plus CK and Hags missing like 5 breakaways between them that series. If CK had the breakaway moves then that he did now we likely would have hoisted the cup.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
Thats the thing. I dont think anyone realistically thinks either will become a superstar. That shipped is sailed and likely sunk into the abyss unfortunately.

They are becoming complimentary players who you hope "break out". Even with that, what is the ceiling? Its not Stutzle or Hughes level. No way.

Thats why i think Kakko is more valuable. He does a lot more things and if he settles into a Jere Lehtinen type then I'm more than fine with that. Not thrilled by the outcome if you rewind back to their draft days, but at least theres some value there if hes an important cog in a winning team.
I remember Lehtinen as a borderline 1st liner, even better without the puck, who's bread and butter was speed.That's not Kakko.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Who cares? He posts decent analytics at the start of every season and still ends the season with subpar production.
Points aren't the only way to measure helping the team. They're a good shortcut, but they often give credit for things that don't deserve it (Simple passes becoming assists, empty net goals/assists, accidental goals) And miss important things that do make a difference (Screens, defensive plays, pressure leading to turnovers where the player didn't directly touch the puck and thus isn't awarded with a point)

If Kakko has a good season but doesn't score tons of meaningless points, it actually helps NYR keep him on a more reasonable contract relative to what he brings. I think he had a real bad game last night but he's important, especially on a roster with a weakness at RW.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I still maintain, that we can worry about the production of Kakko (and Laf and Chytil) if there is going to be a huge gap between their and the vets 5v5 points. This is not the case so far, because everone sucks ass.

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005

We don't want garbage for a former 2OA we are still hoping pans out.

We want a young superstar. If it's not Kakko then we'll just go back to the lottery. If we wanted a middle six player we'd just keep Kakko cause he's already that.

hawksrule

May 18, 2014
We don't want garbage for a former 2OA we are still hoping pans out.

We want a young superstar. If it's not Kakko then we'll just go back to the lottery. If we wanted a middle six player we'd just keep Kakko cause he's already that.
I didn’t suggest you take garbage, a middle six player, or propose any offer whatsoever, so I don’t know what you’re responding to or why your response was combative. I don’t know if we have players other than our recent top picks that other fans would want, but thought maybe there could be a deal here. I like Kakko, and was just asking what nyr fans would accept as fair market value. I don’t think it will be a young superstar as you suggest, and getting one isn’t as easy as “just going back to the lottery”, but either way, I genuinely didn’t mean to ruffle feathers. I’ll see myself out.

avgard

Jan 8, 2017
kakko.. if borned for lemieux era propaply mean stronger pointcollection at this point. i still angry at team headquatters and coach for taking him selfconsfidence to low levels.they treat him like foreign manure at here. still holdet at 13min at game with no pptime seeing etarnal fatherfigure? zimbabwedads collecting easy points wit large amount of playingtime including the desserts at pp. big strong man feeling small here and eated inside out . all this i repeat while miki mouse at meadowlands treated and by their team headquarsters pervert methods lifted and holdet for 25min in games. no matter there if boy small, weak was. kakko from finland so. being that in ny no previleagues . must be put in manure own boys of foreign here. in yesterday hockey miki mouse not accepted they put him face down on ice if coming up and acting man.i dont know if kakko player again become.they stall him really bad.he should run aound manhattan island everyday at least.lafresque miki mouse no hope i say

sir avgard hockeyprofessor

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad