Player Discussion Kaapo Kakko

Status
Not open for further replies.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
Nice to see Kakko getting some PP1 work in practice.

I'm happy he has made a good impression with this coaching staff, credit to his play in camp this year. He saw an opportunity and took it, although he was really just being himself. He didnt overthink things. There is a maturity growing into his game now and thats a great sign.

That being said, two things need to happen:

1. The coaching staff needs to be patient and not yank him off the top line if things dont materialize quickly. I mean this should really be the plan for the entire team given they are learning a new system, but to me its imperative for Kakko given his history with previous staffs. Let the kid play now and allow him to make some mistakes. He wont make many.

2. Kakko needs to grow his game on this line and rise to the occasion. He needs to get a little selfish and not be afraid to become the shooter. He doesnt need to defer to Mika and Kreids every chance he gets. Hes just as talented. I think it was Gagline who pointed out that for him to break into the 20-30 goal category he's gotta shoot more. Trust your game and be aggressive to the net with the puck.

Rantanen too. If his boy doesn't grow his game, he's not going to invite him to offseason workouts anymore. Hopefully, Kakko has absorbed some tradecraft from Rantanen by spending all that time together.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
I kinda want to see Kakko in Rantanen's shooting position on the PP. We really need to see his shot a lot more as people are saying.

Can't say this geometry style PP is my favorite but I'm hoping there's some Big Brain Stuff behind it and we'll see it work in the games.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
Nice to see Kakko getting some PP1 work in practice.

I'm happy he has made a good impression with this coaching staff, credit to his play in camp this year. He saw an opportunity and took it, although he was really just being himself. He didnt overthink things. There is a maturity growing into his game now and thats a great sign.

That being said, two things need to happen:

1. The coaching staff needs to be patient and not yank him off the top line if things dont materialize quickly. I mean this should really be the plan for the entire team given they are learning a new system, but to me its imperative for Kakko given his history with previous staffs. Let the kid play now and allow him to make some mistakes. He wont make many.

2. Kakko needs to grow his game on this line and rise to the occasion. He needs to get a little selfish and not be afraid to become the shooter. He doesnt need to defer to Mika and Kreids every chance he gets. Hes just as talented. I think it was Gagline who pointed out that for him to break into the 20-30 goal category he's gotta shoot more. Trust your game and be aggressive to the net with the puck.
Yup. Those two things should be the case for any young player we actually want to make progress. KK, Fil. Laf, Cuylle and eventually Otrhmann.

Reactions: HockeyBasedNYC

NickyLongLegz

Apr 30, 2019
E7967299-53C7-4CB9-A3BE-70119231395A.jpeg

Kaapo gonna be a menace this year confirmed

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Didn't get on the scoresheet but he was terrific tonight. First time I've seen him rush a puck end to end and not hesitate to skate forward. Passing was great too. The points will be there. It is his time now.

He was taking charge, keeping the puck on his stick, finding team mates with the puck, making plays, actually shooting the puck when he got the opportunity. His line was kind of searching for their positioning in the o-zone playing a style they are not used to yet with Kaapo as the playmaker. They did what Lavi wanted, got pucks to the net and fought for rebounds. He was also involved and good on the PP2. KK (and Laffy) finally got to play real hockey.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
He was taking charge, keeping the puck on his stick, finding team mates with the puck, making plays, actually shooting the puck when he got the opportunity. His line was kind of searching for their positioning in the o-zone playing a style they are not used to yet with Kaapo as the playmaker. They did what Lavi wanted, got pucks to the net and fought for rebounds. He was also involved and good on the PP2. KK (and Laffy) finally got to play real hockey.

He needs to replace troch on PP1. It is time.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
really really not liking his game these first two games. looks the same as always. he is definitely trying to shoot more though

He's never had natural chemistry with Zib and Kreider, as is the case with Panarin and Zib. I've mentioned this often. Kakko on the first line with those two is a project so I'm not impatient but looking to PL and the coaches to get it to work over time.

If you are looking at pure chemistry playing with Cuylle and Tro (or Chytil) is a better fit, but then all the talk about FIRST line this and that starts again. Kakko had chemistry with Cuylle and Othmann in pre-season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Slaydagnar

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
I have a coworker who's totally Kakkoing a project. She's held it too long and deferred to others. I almost want to step in and just take care of the project for her.
I'm on the phone with her. What a fustercluck of a situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad