Player Discussion Kaapo Kakko

and 99 others

i enjoy watching hockey
Jul 27, 2011
I know the panarin - trocheck - lafreniere line looked like it developed some chemistry this season but could they try putting Kakko with Panarin? Panarin develops chemistry with anyone he plays with and makes them better.

Move Laf up with Kreider and Zibanejad and let the offensive pressure flow behind Lafreniere's creativity, Zibanejad's one timer threat and Kreider's net front.

Kakko's skillset is best suited when he holds onto the puck down low, grinding down the other team's D with puck possession and creating options for goal scorers.

And yes I'm aware Panarin just had the best season of his career playing with Lafreniere but how much of that is Lafreniere and how much of that is Panarin being a top 5 player in the league

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
Gotta be his last chance with us, no?

If he has another lacklustre year I hope for his sake (and ours) that he gets traded.

He should just focus on 3 things this off-season.

1) Powerskate drills non-stop.
LAF has drastically improved his skating.
Kakko should be able to get better at it as well.

2) Find the infamous "sisu" in Finland.
I'm tired of him being Ferdinand the bull.
Or at least go to a sports psychiatrist.

Learn to drive the net. Use your body, it should be one of his biggest strengths.

3) Stop using a stick made for 14 year olds.
It's beyond annoying, it's a huge disadvantage that he uses a short stick.

I hope he finally puts it all together. He has the potential to be a 30+30 2-way forward. But he can't rely on his draft year. Time to man up kiddo.

Edit:

If we do trade him:

Trade Kakko + Lindgren for an upgrade on D or some shit.

Or use Kakko to move up the draft.

Reactions: mas0764

dshea19

Jun 9, 2015
I know the panarin - trocheck - lafreniere line looked like it developed some chemistry this season but could they try putting Kakko with Panarin? Panarin develops chemistry with anyone he plays with and makes them better.

Move Laf up with Kreider and Zibanejad and let the offensive pressure flow behind Lafreniere's creativity, Zibanejad's one timer threat and Kreider's net front.

Kakko's skillset is best suited when he holds onto the puck down low, grinding down the other team's D with puck possession and creating options for goal scorers.

And yes I'm aware Panarin just had the best season of his career playing with Lafreniere but how much of that is Lafreniere and how much of that is Panarin being a top 5 player in the league
The unverified rumor is that Panarin doesn't want to play with him. Kakko's biggest problem is between the ears. He was an absolute beast before he got to the Rangers, if he isn't going to be blazing fast, he needs to drive the net and be a monster. He isn't doing that. He stays to the perimeter and doesn't drive the net. Just changing that could drastically change his production.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
The unverified rumor is that Panarin doesn't want to play with him. Kakko's biggest problem is between the ears. He was an absolute beast before he got to the Rangers, if he isn't going to be blazing fast, he needs to drive the net and be a monster. He isn't doing that. He stays to the perimeter and doesn't drive the net. Just changing that could drastically change his production.

Panarin & Kakko's games don't mix, even if Panarin was fine playing with him (which he probably is). Panarin needs to puck on his stick and kakko's only skill is holding onto the puck. You can't put an unwilling passer and shooter on that wing.

Reactions: dshea19 and gump116

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
He's going to get traded if the Rangers spend on a top 6 winger, seems fairly obvious. Idk how you can go into next season with him as the #2RW and expect a different outcome. He's the forward version of Lindgren.

Reactions: will1066

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
At this point, I think he needs a fresh start somewhere else. He's got the tool kit to be one hell of a hockey player. I just hope that when he's traded on 7/1, that it isn't for garbage.
Just out of curiosity outside of being drafted #2 what tools do you see that are above average? Not bashing KK. Im actually looking for hope.

Brief Candle

Hank's Forehead Sweat
Jan 30, 2010
New Jersey
rocklandmusic.com
Just out of curiosity outside of being drafted #2 what tools do you see that are above average? Not bashing KK. Im actually looking for hope.
We've seen games where he uses his head, plays to his size, shows his skill, etc. He then proceeds to just vanishes for extended periods of time. Good news: I DO think he has significant value. A lot of it could be environmental. Some people just don't click with NYC. Hell, I avoid it like the plague now.

Reactions: NickyFotiu

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
The things that I see are, he’s extremely good on the boards using his size and strength, he’s very good defensively, and he has good hands and a hard if slow shot.

The problem is that his game is a slow methodical cycle game, and he rarely gets enough space to drive inside, or when he does he doesn’t have the separation he thinks he does.
His strengths and flaws unfortunately overlap.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
I really do think Kakko has a great shot, can hang onto the puck along the boards, has very good hands around the offensive crease (silky smooth in fact), and is excellent without the puck in the neutral zone or in his own end.

His issues are that once he has the puck in the offensive zone, he doesn't have the vision or skill to make a play to the inside of the ice. And I think that is a mix of a lack of speed and a lack of hockey IQ.

His only options when he has the puck in the offensive zone are to complete a short pass to another forward who is cycling on the outside with him. That's not a very good way to get points unless he somehow can turn into a mean Barkov type guy that wears down opponents (and so far he hasn't).

It's been said many times, but he also doesn't have the foot speed to separate himself from defenders. That lack of explosive first step makes him easy to keep on the outside. That's why, even though he's amazing around the crease (on the few times he has the puck there), he can never get open around there to receive a pass.

There's a chance that if he played with Panarin, that Bread would be able to find Kakko around the crease better than anyone. But that's a very big "if."

I think everyone is sleeping on Kakko's shot and silky smooth hands. But you never get to see them because the other aspects of his offensive game are so lacking.

The things that I see are, he’s extremely good on the boards using his size and strength, he’s very good defensively, and he has good hands and a hard if slow shot.

The problem is that his game is a slow methodical cycle game, and he rarely gets enough space to drive inside, or when he does he doesn’t have the separation he thinks he does.
Agreed.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
I really do think Kakko has a great shot, can hang onto the puck along the boards, has very good hands around the offensive crease (silky smooth in fact), and is excellent without the puck in the neutral zone or in his own end.

His issues are that once he has the puck in the offensive zone, he doesn't have the vision or skill to make a play to the inside of the ice. And I think that is a mix of a lack of speed and a lack of hockey IQ.

His only options when he has the puck in the offensive zone are to complete a short pass to another forward who is cycling on the outside with him. That's not a very good way to get points unless he somehow can turn into a mean Barkov type guy that wears down opponents (and so far he hasn't).

It's been said many times, but he also doesn't have the foot speed to separate himself from defenders. That lack of explosive first step makes him easy to keep on the outside. That's why, even though he's amazing around the crease (on the few times he has the puck there), he can never get open around there to receive a pass.

There's a chance that if he played with Panarin, that Bread would be able to find Kakko around the crease better than anyone. But that's a very big "if."

I think everyone is sleeping on Kakko's shot and silky smooth hands. But you never get to see them because the other aspects of his offensive game are so lacking.

Agreed.
Agreed. The scary thing is, if he makes a similar Laf increase in his skating, he legitimately can be a monster for us.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Vince and Colin both think Kakko is a goner and say that he is already being discussed in trade talks. As per Vince's most recent podcast.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
On Vince’s podcast guest Colin Stephenson is pretty convinced that Kakko is toast.

Personally, I’d like to see Cuylle - Chytil - Kakko next year.
The reasons? Thanks in advance. I don't listen to podcasts.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
Gotta be his last chance with us, no?

If he has another lacklustre year I hope for his sake (and ours) that he gets traded.
same shit that was said about Laf last year.

iTs Ur LaSt ChAnCe KaKkO!!!

Same exact shit.
He's the forward version of Lindgren.
no idea what this means.

Rangers fans can't help themselves.

Whatever your idea of Kakko was when we drafted him, you need to bury it. You're only upsetting yourself.

Look at the player vs their upside and their cap hit. He's excellent defensively and has showed he can produce 20-20 at even strength. You take that at 2.4mm all day.

Kakko is a player with flaws in skating and willingness to drive the net - two things that NHL players can and often do develop a few years into their careers. He's also a player that needs a specific type of linemates to unlock his game: a heavy cycling C who knows how to get open and can handle the spicy goalmouth passes that Kakko constantly tries to feed.

Is it a mark against him that he hasn't been able to adapt his game? Ultimately yes. Does it make him a useless player? Not at all.

The absurd and glaring Rongo irony, of course, is that the type of hockey that Kakko wants to play - and has demonstrated an aptitude for playing - is exactly what Florida is trying to do and what they did to completely shut us down. Possession hockey below the dots with physicality, ferocity, and skill to create scoring opportunities.

Kakko is by no means ferocious and has not demonstrated as much skill in creating scoring opportunities as we'd all have liked. But he possesses the puck better than probably all of our other forwards on the boards, and with his defensive acuity he should be deployed on the PK.

Stop looking for the player you imagined him to be and look at the player he is. Flawed but useful in the right context. Move him for pennies and watch him blossom at your own risk, Chris.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I really don't think Laf made some monumental leap in skating that he's being credited with. His skating improved, as it should for most young guys still developing, but I think his break out has much more to do with confidence.

Confidence that started with being placed in the top6 and made to feel like it was okay to try things and make mistakes, and then the further building of confidence as he realized that he can pick apart defenses at this level just like he always has before.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
We've seen games where he uses his head, plays to his size, shows his skill, etc. He then proceeds to just vanishes for extended periods of time. Good news: I DO think he has significant value. A lot of it could be environmental. Some people just don't click with NYC. Hell, I avoid it like the plague now.
I agree with much of what you said especially about NYC but I was looking for actual skills like skating, shooting, puck carrying, passing, checking, etc.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011

I can see some of that. He does have good hands in close but I fear sometimes he does not have the concentration or attention to detail so some chances get wasted. I think at times he does show a good shot but with only around 1 shot per game it is not used enough. One thing I would say enough to is the cycling that does not lead to results. We have seen him hold possession for a while on the boards but the majority of the time he seems to eventually lose the puck without a shot on goal.

Agreed.
I like your positivity. I hope somebody can crack the KK code. He does have moments where he looks really good but those are very sporadic. I have seen other players like that over the years. I like KK so I hope for his sake and our sake he works his butt off this summer.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
I can see some of that. He does have good hands in close but I fear sometimes he does not have the concentration or attention to detail so some chances get wasted. I think at times he does show a good shot but with only around 1 shot per game it is not used enough. One thing I would say enough to is the cycling that does not lead to results. We have seen him hold possession for a while on the boards but the majority of the time he seems to eventually lose the puck without a shot on goal.
Sure but a good cycle game requires more than one person, and unfortunately bonino and wennberg were his most common centers. Two players who set nhl records for offensive futility.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
same shit that was said about Laf last year.

iTs Ur LaSt ChAnCe KaKkO!!!

Same exact shit.

no idea what this means.

Rangers fans can't help themselves.

Whatever your idea of Kakko was when we drafted him, you need to bury it. You're only upsetting yourself.

Look at the player vs their upside and their cap hit. He's excellent defensively and has showed he can produce 20-20 at even strength. You take that at 2.4mm all day.

Kakko is a player with flaws in skating and willingness to drive the net - two things that NHL players can and often do develop a few years into their careers. He's also a player that needs a specific type of linemates to unlock his game: a heavy cycling C who knows how to get open and can handle the spicy goalmouth passes that Kakko constantly tries to feed.

Is it a mark against him that he hasn't been able to adapt his game? Ultimately yes. Does it make him a useless player? Not at all.

The absurd and glaring Rongo irony, of course, is that the type of hockey that Kakko wants to play - and has demonstrated an aptitude for playing - is exactly what Florida is trying to do and what they did to completely shut us down. Possession hockey below the dots with physicality, ferocity, and skill to create scoring opportunities.

Kakko is by no means ferocious and has not demonstrated as much skill in creating scoring opportunities as we'd all have liked. But he possesses the puck better than probably all of our other forwards on the boards, and with his defensive acuity he should be deployed on the PK.

Stop looking for the player you imagined him to be and look at the player he is. Flawed but useful in the right context. Move him for pennies and watch him blossom at your own risk, Chris.

Kakko is the forward version of Lindgren because he is gifted a role that he has never showed he's qualified for based on reputation alone.

Killem Dafoe

Hold my baby, man.
Jun 19, 2010
Land of Corn
I remember this game and how excited I was. Then feeling like I got catfished.

In all seriousness, if he gets some confidence, he's capable of being an impactful player.

Reactions: bhamill

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad