Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Trouba seems to be on the market. He's an expensive cap hit and not the best shut down guy, but brings a lot of the qualities we're looking for.

Leafs need good dmen, not bad ones
I didn't see any of the Rangers playoff games, but I've read that Trouba had a ankle injury (broken) prior to the start of the run for the cup. He does (from memory) tick a few of the boxes we've been looking for. Along with Kappo Kakko, Trouba has been linked as a possible 'move on from' with the Rangers. Kakko has been disappointing as a 2nd OV pick, but has proved to be a strong defensive RW for the Rangers (again from what I've read) and excels at exiting the D zone with the puck ~ 97th percentile. Together they total 10.4M against the cap. Again, from memory, was it Trouba who wanted to leave Canada because his wife was going to be a doctor?

Q. Would it make sense to trade Marner for these two players, and would there be an add from either team? I find the idea of plugging two positions at the cost of one position to be intriguing, if only because we might then be able to acquire better players where needed with the cap savings: e.g., Tanev/Roy or Lindholm/Stephenson etc.

A defense group of:

Rielly Roy
McCabe Trouba
Benoit Liljegren

doesn't look so bad to me, equal L/R handedness, some scoring ability, PK ability, and about as physical a group as I can remember.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
If I am Tre,

I have the same willingness to move Morgan as I do Marner, and there is absolutely a market for Mo.

I move both without hesitation, and both to add more balance to the roster.

Am I looking for an immediate replacement? No.

But with the assets accumulated and the cap space spared, there is a lot to work with.
I’d move both too, hope it happens, but not holding my breath…….

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
ROR literally said his love for hockey died; eichel had to have a surgery no one has had before come on man try a little harder. We can;t score in the playoffs so lets not add cheap goal scoring depth
lack of scoring doesn't come from lack 9f goal scorer but coming in the fact D are never involved until trailing late. Playing at 3v5 unable to create space i the cycling because d are not involve
+
didn't had a lot of pressure without the puck to create hole

watch Florida, vegas, colorado, tampa and whatever. You will see D involve and hard forechecking.

Under keefe leafs playing safe hockey and took minimum of risk. They played a system who was working in the start of 2000's with exemple NJ trap. But the defensive system are now too good to hope win in playoff without using the 5 player on the ice. If the only thing you're doing is add goal scorer, that will change absolutly nothing if you didn't create yourself more space to shoot it and just taking outside shot.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
If I am Tre,

I have the same willingness to move Morgan as I do Marner, and there is absolutely a market for Mo.

I move both without hesitation, and both to add more balance to the roster.

Am I looking for an immediate replacement? No.

But with the assets accumulated and the cap space spared, there is a lot to work with.
Isn't everyone talking about how we need more puck moving from our defense?

You want to move Mo, and then what, revamp the defense? That's a nice thought, until you realize a guy like Roy is looking at 6 million a year, and Chris Tanev will need 5 years and it will take a miracle for him to last through 2.

Any dman close to Mo will cost either more dollars or a huge ask in Trade.

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
Mirtle threw out a Sergachev for Marner trade idea yesterday. Not sure if he made it up or heard something.

I like it.
Pretty risky considering Serg is coming off a major injury. I like the player but damn we would really be putting in a lot of faith he would he the same player. I’d want at least a pick attached

I would rather give up the 6 million a year for Roy than give a 5 year term to Tanev to keep the AAV down. Tanev might be effective for 2 of those years

Sorry was supposed to be seperate comments

Reactions: Malachi Crunch

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Mirtle threw out a Sergachev for Marner trade idea yesterday. Not sure if he made it up or heard something.

I like it.
Pretty risky considering Serg is coming off a major injury. I like the player but damn we would really be putting in a lot of faith he would he the same player. I’d want at least a pick attached

I'd be willing to do something like Sergachev, Cirelli for Liljegren, Marner

Sergachev is as strong as an ox, big, pretty mobile, hard point shot.

Cirelli was able to play 2C when they won a cup, their winger support has been getting worse and worse because the cap has been stripping down that team.

Reactions: Malachi Crunch

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Jarnkrok is quite marketable for teams wanting a depth two way guy that can score and is cheap.

I hope they move him for at least a 2nd
Agreed that both Jarn and Kampf have some value.
I’d peg Jarn at a second or two thirds, Kampf at a third or two fourths.

Reactions: Smif

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I'm sure it's been posted somewhere in here but where does the lineup currently stand with the ufa's removed?

Malachi Crunch

Sep 24, 2022
If he's healthy this would be my ideal Marner trade. Sergachev is a right shot, can play either side, can play top pair minutes, Stanley cup experience, he's very competitive, physical when he needs to be, and has offense (64 points 2 seasons ago).

Also, he has a cap hit of 8.5 million for another 6 years or so (I think). If Marner wants 12.5, that's 4 million worth of savings starting next year. Also, given the cap increases, 8.5 for a top pairing guy is going to turn into an okay cap hit.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I'm expecting quite a lot, I mean Treliving needs a minimum of 2 D, 2 goalies if you want to include a #3 goalie and Domi and Bertuzzi are free agents you have to replace them and It's not as simple as plug in 2 prospects and be on your way.

You MIGHT be able to do that with one of them if you Cowan is ready and he looks like he might be but one of Domi or Bertuzzi need to be legitimately replaced.

I'd look into Debrusk, Perron and when Buffalo buys him out Skinner.

I'd also look to move Jarnkrok and/or Kampf, I like both but I think we can do better.

I'd be very happy with 2 of Roy, Tanev, Zadorov and to lesser extent Myers.

In goal I'd call Minnesota about Gus, Between him and Woll one of them is bound to break out.

I think Brad is going to be aggressive because he kind of has to be

Reactions: ACC1224

mapleleafs34

Apr 7, 2011
I'm sure it's been posted somewhere in here but where does the lineup currently stand with the ufa's removed?
Assuming our RFA's come back and no UFA's:

Knies-Matthews-Nylander
McMann-Tavares-Marner
Robertson-Holmberg-Jarnkrok
Dewar-Kampf-Reaves
Gregor

Rielly-Liljegren
Benoit-McCabe
XXX-Timmins

Woll
XXX

Reactions: Kiwi and ACC1224

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Assuming our RFA's come back and no UFA's:

Knies-Matthews-Nylander
McMann-Tavares-Marner
Robertson-Holmberg-Jarnkrok
Dewar-Kampf-Reaves
Gregor

Rielly-Liljegren
Benoit-McCabe
XXX-Timmins

Woll
XXX
Thanks. I'm guessing we'll see a few trades to open up some spots to go UFA shopping.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
Also, trading Marner for a futures package isn't a rebuild move either.

You can have ELCs that can step into the team soon, rebuild the prospect pool. While being able to go after big time FAs.

To add to this, if you can't get someone that's bare minimum really good. It maybe better to do an ELC based package because you can turn around and go offer Jake 9.5m or offer Lindholm 7m + another forward 5m and add that on top of the ELCs you got for Marner.

Allows for you to either have cheap ELCs step in the line up soon or give you assets that if you think this team is actually really good, you have pieces you can swing around in deals.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad