Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Updated Capwages a good replacement for CapFriendly. https://capwages.com/

• Close by no cigar

Votes: 17 30.4%
  • It will do until something better

Votes: 31 55.4%
  • I like https://www.spotrac.com/nhl

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • I'm dropping another

Votes: 6 10.7%

• Total voters

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
'More Than Likely We're Making The Pick': Maple Leafs' Brad Treliving Not Opposed to Dealing First-Round Draft Selection for the Right Deal - The Hockey News

LAS VEGAS — Will the Toronto Maple Leafs deal away the 23rd overall pick at the 2024 NHL Draft? It all depends on the return.

In his media availability on Wednesday, club GM Brad Treliving was asked what the odds were that he'd move the club's first-round draft selection before it comes up on Friday.

"I wouldn't say I'm opposed to moving it," Treliving said. "I would say as I sit here more than likely we're making the pick."

Treliving can say that with confidence after The Athletic reported earlier in the day that the club's first-round selection was involved in a proposed failed trade to acquire goaltender Jacob Markstrom from the Calgary Flames.

So what would it take to move the selection?

"A player that can fill a hole in our lineup right now, (although) I don't think that's likely," Treliving said." The next step with that is looking to possibly acquire more draft capital. We'll see. But I think it's probably more than likely right now that we're going to make the pick."

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Rangers are looking to add a Middle Six forward via trade. They apparently looked at Farabee from the flyers.

Would they have any interest in Jarnkrok

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Also, trading Marner for a futures package isn't a rebuild move either.

You can have ELCs that can step into the team soon, rebuild the prospect pool. While being able to go after big time FAs.

To add to this, if you can't get someone that's bare minimum really good. It maybe better to do an ELC based package because you can turn around and go offer Jake 9.5m or offer Lindholm 7m + another forward 5m and add that on top of the ELCs you got for Marner.

Allows for you to either have cheap ELCs step in the line up soon or give you assets that if you think this team is actually really good, you have pieces you can swing around in deals.
Not to mention, getting a volume of picks is ammo at the deadline.
2nds are good bait, 3rds n 4ths help with retention or fetch role players.
It’s smart to not think in terms of one&done deals, but gathering parts that can yield future deals as well.

Reactions: Smif

Thornbury

Dec 29, 2019
'More Than Likely We're Making The Pick': Maple Leafs' Brad Treliving Not Opposed to Dealing First-Round Draft Selection for the Right Deal - The Hockey News

LAS VEGAS — Will the Toronto Maple Leafs deal away the 23rd overall pick at the 2024 NHL Draft? It all depends on the return.

In his media availability on Wednesday, club GM Brad Treliving was asked what the odds were that he'd move the club's first-round draft selection before it comes up on Friday.

"I wouldn't say I'm opposed to moving it," Treliving said. "I would say as I sit here more than likely we're making the pick."

Treliving can say that with confidence after The Athletic reported earlier in the day that the club's first-round selection was involved in a proposed failed trade to acquire goaltender Jacob Markstrom from the Calgary Flames.

So what would it take to move the selection?

"A player that can fill a hole in our lineup right now, (although) I don't think that's likely," Treliving said." The next step with that is looking to possibly acquire more draft capital. We'll see. But I think it's probably more than likely right now that we're going to make the pick."
Get some more draft capital! There seem to be a lot of good options between 20 and 40.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
Not to mention, getting a volume of picks is ammo at the deadline.
2nds are good bait, 3rds n 4ths help with retention or fetch role players.
It’s smart to not think in terms of one&done deals, but gathering parts that can yield future deals as well.
Yep! Depending on the player I almost would much rather do a futures deal instead of a hockey player deal. As I can't really think of what teams would offer that'd be interested that would interest me.

The Kings have good players, but they seem to think of there players like gods. Utah has some good pieces. But would still almost prefer futures.

Only thing about futures is, if you trade Marner for a futures package. You're either chalking this year up or you MUST land a Stephenson/Lindholm/Guentzal + a defender.

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
Canucks downgraded their 2nd to a 4th to trade Ilya Mikeyhev. Guy is allergic to finishing

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
They're saying on the trade boards that Trouba might be on the outs with the Rags. 8m is too much for what he brings, but a nasty SOB who can play 20 minutes a night and has leadership qualities would be great for us. He'd probably spend 10 games a year in the pressbox due to suspensions, but Treliving does love his big gritty defensemen (and I fully approve).

Obviously the dollars are too big, but two years left on the deal is good. He's only 30 as well, the sort of player that we could get 4-5 years out of. I'd expect Treliving would rather go to the UFA pool and overpay for a younger guy, but the two year term is preferable to handing out big money and years to a guy like Tanev.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
They're saying on the trade boards that Trouba might be on the outs with the Rags. 8m is too much for what he brings, but a nasty SOB who can play 20 minutes a night and has leadership qualities would be great for us. He'd probably spend 10 games a year in the pressbox due to suspensions, but Treliving does love his big gritty defensemen (and I fully approve).

Obviously the dollars are too big, but two years left on the deal is good. He's only 30 as well, the sort of player that we could get 4-5 years out of. I'd expect Treliving would rather go to the UFA pool and overpay for a younger guy, but the two year term is preferable to handing out big money and years to a guy like Tanev.
I saw the trouba thread and immedtely thought of Treliving too. Its not that he's a bad player, he's just massively overpaid.

Depends on how much the rangers want to retain, maybe I can see us having interest

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011

Trouba at 6m, maybe better than Tanev at 4m or whatever he gets. I assume you maybe able to get him slight retained if they are looking to buy him out.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

His game has seriously deteriorated, and he was trash in the playoffs.

His wife is an American Doctor, and I highly doubt he'd accept a trade to Canada for that reason.

That would be a no from both sides.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
""

The 25-year-old Swede's rights belong to the Maple Leafs and the club needs to extend him a qualifying offer of $1.5 million (his salary from 2023-24) in order to retain his rights.

Seems like a no-brainer.

The problem is, that Liljegren is eligible for arbitration and Treliving indicated on Wednesday that the club doesn't want to be stuck in a situation where they must pay him a number higher than what they are willing to spend under their existing cap constraints.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

1specter

Sep 27, 2016

His game has seriously deteriorated, and he was trash in the playoffs.

His wife is an American Doctor, and I highly doubt he'd accept a trade to Canada for that reason.

That would be a no from both sides.
Trouba has been overrated for a long time. He still lives off his reputation in Winnipeg where he put up 50 pts in 2019 and looked like a future franchise D, but he's just not that good and is arguably not even a top pairing D. He's pretty much a modern day Phaneuf where he peaked early in his career and got paid big money that he'll basically never live up to, and is playing in a role higher than he should be. Rielly is FAR better than Trouba and at a lower cap hit too. For 8M he also doesn't produce, at that price you need to be putting up at least ~40 pts yearly as a d-man while playing immaculate defense, neither of which he does.

Reactions: Al14

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
watch Florida, vegas, colorado, tampa and whatever. You will see D involve and hard forechecking.

Under keefe leafs playing safe hockey and took minimum of risk. They played a system who was working in the start of 2000's with exemple NJ trap. But the defensive system are now too good to hope win in playoff without using the 5 player on the ice. If the only thing you're doing is add goal scorer, that will change absolutly nothing if you didn't create yourself more space to shoot it and just taking outside shot.

So you don't think Keefe was using the defense correctly?

1719498037793.png

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Does anyone else get the feeling that David Perron is a lock? I feel like that deal is all but official.

I've never seen a player do so much media and spend so much time talking about how much He loves the head coach, loves the assistants, loves the management.

David Perron has been EXTREMELY complimentary of management especially Berube and Savard.

I feel like Perron is all but official

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Rangers are looking to add a Middle Six forward via trade. They apparently looked at Farabee from the flyers.

Would they have any interest in Jarnkrok
The Rangers are smart. Farabee is someone that's going to be a good player on his contract. Signed for 4 more years @ 5m, he's improved every year he's been in the league and he's only 24. I can see him getting 65 points a year on a good team.

I don't think Rangers will be interested in Jarnkrok, I think he's going to go to a middle of the pack team that needs some stability in their lineup.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Isn't everyone talking about how we need more puck moving from our defense?

You want to move Mo, and then what, revamp the defense? That's a nice thought, until you realize a guy like Roy is looking at 6 million a year, and Chris Tanev will need 5 years and it will take a miracle for him to last through 2.

Any dman close to Mo will cost either more dollars or a huge ask in Trade.

My guess would be to pursue a 1st. pairing defender with a full set of tools.

I'm hoping Rielly arrives in camp 100% healthy, and it isn't age that's hit his skating this hard already.

Last edited:

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Does anyone else get the feeling that David Perron is a lock? I feel like that deal is all but official.

I've never seen a player do so much media and spend so much time talking about how much He loves the head coach, loves the assistants, loves the management.

David Perron has been EXTREMELY complimentary of management especially Berube and Savard.

I feel like Perron is all but official
Is he still good?

The most common names circling the Leafs have been:

Perron
Joshua
Debrusk

Tanev
Roy
Zadorov

Stolarz
Brossoit

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
WHAT? Waived his NMC? Umpossible!
12 team NTC.

Hawks must have been on it, and he knew he was going to be moved and Chicago was okay.

Of course with a NMC they can't move you if you unless you agree. 12 Team NTC, they can move you to 20 other teams, some you might not like.

Or course we all know this, but my fingers needed limbering up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad