Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Updated Capwages a good replacement for CapFriendly. https://capwages.com/

• Close by no cigar

Votes: 17 30.4%
  • It will do until something better

Votes: 31 55.4%
  • I like https://www.spotrac.com/nhl

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • I'm dropping another

Votes: 6 10.7%

• Total voters

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
One thing that stands out is that without a 1st or 2nd in next year's draft, we'd be unlikely to be in on any major acquisitions at the TDL. I really think it is important we fix the defense this summer as we're not going to be able to afford much more than modest upgrades on the fringes of the roster.

I would sign off on that or Keller.

The Leafs don't currently have their but they do have 2026, 2027, 2028 etc.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Pure speculation: Rielly for Crouse (with or without adds)

The guy who reported Marner to Utah is most likely wrong. The team and Marner’s camp have vehemently denied the report. This guy recently broke the UCONN coach to take over as Lakers head coach which didn’t end up happening but also wasn’t an incorrect report. The link was real and the offer was there, therefore we can assume he has real contacts. Maybe he heard that the Leafs have a deal in place pending a player waiving their NMC.

The current report is Utah is looking for a top pair puck moving defenseman. Rielly is currently that. There is, and always has been smoke around Zadorov. This would open up a spot for to play 2LD and McCabe takes 1LD.

I doubt it happens but it’s fun to connect the dots between all the speculation.
Rielly isn't going anywhere especially with our immobile ass D.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
As someone who has watched every Rangers game the last three years (they're my second favourite team) I can assure you that Trouba is a very damn good defensman whose skates Phaneuf wouldn't be fit to tie.

Trouba isn't the best defenseman on his team. That honour belongs to Fox (and Millier is probably better too). But the whole physical leader willing to drop the gloves and set the example for the rest of the team thing is true.

He would easily be the best defenseman beside Rielly the Leafs ever had and a way better Captain than Tavares too.

If they are your 2nd. favorite team, you may be a touch biased.
Human nature and not an insult.

I think he's too important to them :sarcasm: they can't afford to move him.

Why would he be available unless as 2nd. pairing defender he is overpaid?
He does PK though. But he's 2nd. pairing Even Strength, and doesn't PP.

Kampf, Liljegren, 5th. and 7th. round picks, give another 7th. for retention.

1719501035340.png

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
If they are your 2nd. favorite team, you may be a touch biased.
Human nature and not an insult.

I think he's too important to them :sarcasm: they can't afford to move him.

Why would he be available unless as 2nd. pairing defender he is overpaid?
He does PK though. But he's 2nd. pairing Even Strength, and doesn't PP.

Kampf, Liljegren, 5th. and 7th. round picks, give another 7th. for retention.

View attachment 888011

I didn't say they wouldn't move him.

And I also said Miller and Fox are better. But that doesn't mean he wouldn't be the best partner Rielly ever had. He would immensely improve both the defense, physicality, and leadership of this team.

Trouba is a much better player than what the original commenter I replied to was indicating, and if Rangers wanted to trade him and Lafreniere for Marner, I think that would be a helluva good deal for the Leafs.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
No problems giving Domi 3-4 years, so long as the cap hit is reasonable. He's a journeyman player who might have found a home, we don't have to give him the screws, but we can give him the 3.5m Kerfoot deal or even 4m and not lose sleep. I can't see him getting 5m, even on the market. His highest value is likely with us.

Bertuzzi should definitely test the market. Doubt he's a Leaf next year.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
No problems giving Domi 3-4 years, so long as the cap hit is reasonable. He's a journeyman player who might have found a home, we don't have to give him the screws, but we can give him the 3.5m Kerfoot deal or even 4m and not lose sleep. I can't see him getting 5m, even on the market. His highest value is likely with us.

Bertuzzi should definitely test the market. Doubt he's a Leaf next year.
His highest value should be, and IS with us, because unless he goes to Edmonton or Colorado, and displaces a forward on their top line, he won't be playing with anyone better than Matthews

Reactions: Duffman955

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Utah and Seattle are two of my favourite destinations for a Marner trade. They have the right assets.

Wright (4th Overall) + #8
Guenther (9th Overall) + #6

That's pretty much the same deal.

With Oleksiak, Larsson, Tanev and Gourde for Seattle and Crouse, Keller, McBain, Ingram for Utah as good side pieces that could be worked into an expanded exchange.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I didn't say they wouldn't move him.

And I also said Miller and Fox are better. But that doesn't mean he wouldn't be the best partner Rielly ever had. He would immensely improve both the defense, physicality, and leadership of this team.

Trouba is a much better player than what the original commenter I replied to was indicating, and if Rangers wanted to trade him and Lafreniere for Marner, I think that would be a helluva good deal for the Leafs.

I've seen some of your takes, having no idea what is happening on the ice... but saying Trouba would improve the DEFENSE is hilarious. He was an offensive D man, with questionable D, when he was good. He's never really had very good hockey IQ, and made up for it with some athleticism and size. Now that he's slowed down, with that lack of IQ, he's become a bit of a liability. He tries too hard fo that physicality, ends up either taking dumb penalties, or gets himself well out of position.

He would make a terrible partner for Rielly. Wrong type of D.

""

I'd rather pay Zadorov at $5 mil, than have Trouba at $4 mil at this point.

That's without even the discussion that his wife is a MD, who can't work in Canada... so, ya, it really shouldn't be worth talking about, he isn't coming here or anywhere in Canada.

""

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Leafs trade Marner(11)
NYR trade Trouba(8) and Lafreniere(2.5)

Leafs trade Tavares(11), Minten, 1st
Pittsburgh trades Karlsson(5)*, Graves(4.5)
Karlsson retained 50%

Leafs sign Guentzel(10)

Lafreniere(2.5)/Matthews(13.5)/Cowan(1)
Guentzel(10)/Domi(3)/Nylander(11.5)
Knies(1)/Kampf(2.5)/Jarnkrok(4)
Robertson(1)/Holmberg(1)/Dewar(1)
*Reaves(1.35), McMann(1)

Reilly(7.5)/Trouba(8)
Graves(4.5)/Karlsson(5)
McCabe(2)/Liljegren(1.5)
*Benoit(1.5)

Woll (1)
Jones (1)
Hildeby (1)

Total 86.85

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Leafs trade Marner(11)
NYR trade Trouba(8) and Lafreniere(2.5)

Leafs trade Tavares(11), Minten, 1st
Pittsburgh trades Karlsson(5)*, Graves(4.5)
Karlsson retained 50%

Leafs sign Guentzel(10)

Lafreniere(2.5)/Matthews(13.5)/Cowan(1)
Guentzel(10)/Domi(3)/Nylander(11.5)
Knies(1)/Kampf(2.5)/Jarnkrok(4)
Robertson(1)/Holmberg(1)/Dewar(1)
*Reaves(1.35), McMann(1)

Reilly(7.5)/Trouba(8)
Graves(4.5)/Karlsson(5)
McCabe(2)/Liljegren(1.5)
*Benoit(1.5)

Woll (1)
Jones (1)
Hildeby (1)

Total 86.85
Terrible. Maybe one of the worst lineups I've seen. :laugh: Salaries are well out of whack. Domi isn't taking 3, Lilly isn't taking $1.5 Robertson gets more. Jarnkrok isn't making $4.. he's making $2.3 Laf is wrong... Cowan a first line winger already??? This is a disconnect from reality.. badly.

The D doesn't defend very well.... and the next thing we know.. here comes that thread... Our goalies suck, when it's the team in front.

Last edited:
Reactions: notdoneyet

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Wouldn't make sense - they are loaded up front with NHL players.

View attachment 888028

Calgary signing Debrusk would be weird. They've cleared out a bunch of players, and are close to rebuild stage... and then would sign Debrusk? I appreciate that Conroy has said they won't tank... but at the same time, it should be obvious this ship isn't going anywhere.

They have what... two C's signed, who regularly play that position? They also need to shore up their D.... a Winger signing in Calgary just doesn't make sense at all... which is why it will probably happen.

Reactions: Budz and WTFMAN99

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad