Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Utah and Seattle are two of my favourite destinations for a Marner trade. They have the right assets.

Wright (4th Overall) + #8
Guenther (9th Overall) + #6

That's pretty much the same deal.

With Oleksiak, Larsson, Tanev and Gourde for Seattle and Crouse, Keller, McBain, Ingram for Utah as good side pieces that could be worked into an expanded exchange.
Guenther (9th Overall) + #6 would make my summer.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Terrible. Maybe one of the worst lineups I've seen. :laugh: Salaries are well out of whack. Domi isn't taking 3, Lilly isn't taking $1.5 Robertson gets more. Jarnkrok isn't making $4.. he's making $2.3 Laf is wrong... Cowan a first line winger already??? This is a disconnect from reality.. badly.

The D doesn't defend very well.... and the next thing we know.. here comes that thread... Our goalies suck, when it's the team in front.

You say that every time.

If you think today's was bad, just wait until tomorrow's.

capfit9

Oct 29, 2009
Would you consider trading Mccabe ? Value will never be higher, will need a new long term contract next year when he turns 31

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Would you consider trading Mccabe ? Value will never be higher, will need a new long term contract next year when he turns 31
Tough call but I'd keep him, he's a beauty.
Not enough guys with a pulse on this team as it is.

Reactions: CuuuJooo

capfit9

Oct 29, 2009
I'd rather extend him on a 3-4 year deal if possible. I think he's been a good fit, and while he's not great with the puck as a bit more ability there then a lot of physical players
I like him too but I think he'll want around 5.5 which is top 4 money & he is not consistent enough for me.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Would you consider trading McCabe ? Value will never be higher, will need a new long term contract next year when he turns 31
You are already looking for 2 D. Extend him for 3 more years or let him walk and find a replacement next year.

Sign that right now. That's very fair for a 50 point guy. He's a guy who gets this market and wants to be here. He fits in well with Matthews. Seems like a no-brainer.
I'd rather look for a better C with that money and circle back if you cannot find one, especially if you land Debrusk.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Domi asking for around 4 x 4 (Friedman).

If Domi has a full year playing shotgun to Matthews and had some opportunity to play power play 1, then it's not out of the realm to think the he could put up 65 points. He put up 47 when it took him some time to get acclimated to the team and playing on the 2nd line for half the year.

I think 4x4 would be a fair deal. If you could lock him in at 3.5x4, I'd do it.

capfit9

Oct 29, 2009
You are already looking for 2 D. Extend him for 3 more years or let him walk and find a replacement next year.

I'd rather look for a better C with that money and circle back if you cannot find one, especially if you land Debrusk.
i think he'll be looking for 5 - 6 years

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
I'd rather extend him on a 3-4 year deal if possible. I think he's been a good fit, and while he's not great with the puck as a bit more ability there then a lot of physical players

I think that you lock him up instead of getting into the trade avenue. I think you end up giving more away at a trade deadline for a guy like this and only get 20 games.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
So you don't think Keefe was using the defense correctly?

View attachment 887989

Yes and no...

His system help to hide some missed on the defensive group by overprotectibg leafs D but at the same time really impacting leafs offensive game.

For me right now leafs had the same issue than what it was in 2018... 1 of bototm 10-12 D group in the NHL. Just the fact fans still hoping Liljegren could be a top 4 because he still one of best RHD to play in Toronto last 8, just show how bad this D was.

Remembered me when leafs fan was considerating ponikarovsky, Bozak, grabovski or whatever like good player when they was just playing high in the line up because lack of quality player... and at the end blaming Kessel to dont carry the team playing with bunch of bottom 6 player.

If toronto want to be a real contender, they need to invest in the D group and get the good complementary player leafs need. Exemple Brodie individually is a good D but he was not a good partner for Rielly or even Muzzin. I think leafs have a pretty good window next 2 year to build a solid , they need to make the right move.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad