Confirmed with Link: Kaapo Kahkonen 1 x $1M Winnipeg

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
Kahkonen going to be the goalie in net when the Avalanche eliminates the Jets in the playoffs again.

Not a Comrie fan.

Nobody was going to claim Comrie. This is the Jets not realizing Kahkonen was a clear upgrade for several teams as a backup.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
The drop in backup goaltending from Brossoit to either Comrie or Kahkonen was always going to be a deficit this season. Brossoit was likely worth at least 6 points in the standings last season.
2x3.3M for LB may not have been unreasonable, even as a 25 game goaltender. His numbers were better than Hellys last season......and Helly wins the Vezina and Jennings :popcorn:

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Whileee

May 29, 2010
2x3.3M for LB may not have been unreasonable, even as a 25 game goaltender. His numbers were better than Hellys last season......and Helly wins the Vezina and Jennings :popcorn:
I can understand not wanting to pay that much for a backup to Hellebuyck, but it makes a 110 point season unlikely without improvements to the skater roster.

The issue is that teams generally don't want to tie up that much cap space in a back-up goalie when you have an ace #1 for the playoffs.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Dale53130

Nov 10, 2019
Looking at all of the games over the past 3 years in which Comrie has faced 30 SA and more, he has a respectable .908 SV%. Isolating it to just his 2 years in Buffalo, and it's basically at his career norm of .892 SV% - not good - but LEAVING HIM IN FOR 10 (!!!) goals vs Dallas isn't helping him at all. Remove that one game, and it jumps up to a .904 SV% over the duration of his time in Buffalo in games when he faced 30 SA and more.

1728675191560.png

Of course the inverse of that, has meant that he's been horrible in games when he hasn't faced many shots. But, I think that the Jets will be relying heavily on their forwards as they did last season, doing a lot of the heavy lifting with our defense corps; at least taking a step back (on paper) to start out the season. Perhaps they will be giving up a lot more shots on net, and (hopefully) a lot clean looks.

Going over Comrie's time in Buffalo, I don't think that he was in a very good position throughout his tenure with the team. After a 10-4 home game loss to Dallas in 2023:

WIVB.com

"Comrie shouldn't shoulder all the blame, as the Sabres gave up 49 shots on net, and 42 scoring chances, according to Natural Stat Trick. Five of the Stars goals came in the final 11 minutes after
frustration and doubt deteriorated Buffalo's defensive structure and resolve."

"Losing their third game in a row, the Sabres (32-28-4) slid into fifth in the race for two wild-card playoff spots in the Eastern Conference with 68 points, tied with the Senators, and behind the Capitals (69), Panthers (70), Penguins (74) and Islanders (76). Buffalo chances of ending its NHL-record playoff drought after 11 seasons are now below 4%, according to Money Puck, after rising close to 50% in recent weeks."

"Buffalo also continued its trend of poor play at home, dropping to 13-18-2 at KeyBank Center this season, and 4-10 since the start of January. The Sabres return to home ice Saturday to face Patrick Kane and the Rangers."

"Sabres coach Don Granato said he had thought about replacing Comrie after the Stars built a 4-1 lead midway through the second period, but the Sabres closed the gap to 5-3 in the third, he decided to stick with the veteran instead of switching to rookie Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen, who has struggled of late."

Comrie from January on:

1728677061315.png

Scoring summary.png

Do they the hate the guy?

And last year, he only played in 10 games.

Comrie Game Log.png

Nashville's a back-to-back (above), so he should play in that game.

October 31st, 2023

"Comrie has been placed on the injured reserve with a lower-body injury after recording a 2.45 GAA and .914 SV% in three games (1-1-0) and is expected to miss at least a few weeks. With Devon Levi still unavailable, Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen has filled in admirably, posting a 2.84 GAA and .915 SV% along with one shutout in three games (2-1-0) and should continue to be the number one goaltender for the Sabres in the interim."

Carolina (7th), Detroit (9th), Florida (11th, Nashville (10th), and Tampa Bay (5th) ranked in the top third in Goals For among the 32 teams in the NHL last year. Buffalo wasn't eliminated from the playoff race until April 10th, 2024.

Coming back from an early season injury, getting sent down to the minors, having an eratic schedule, not exactly playing the best teams to face against, being placed on waivers (Dec 31, 2023), can't be good for his confidence either.

He was bad in Buffalo, but they weren't exactly helping him out either.

Attachments

• 1728676801416.png
    1728676801416.png
    151.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Comrie Game Log.png
    Comrie Game Log.png
    50.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Reactions: weslox

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Looking at all of the games over the past 3 years in which Comrie has faced 30 SA and more, he has a respectable .908 SV%. Isolating it to just his 2 years in Buffalo, and it's basically at his career norm of .892 SV% - not good - but LEAVING HIM IN FOR 10 (!!!) goals vs Dallas isn't helping him at all. Remove that one game, and it jumps up to a .904 SV% over the duration of his time in Buffalo in games when he faced 30 SA and more.

View attachment 915277

Of course the inverse of that, has meant that he's been horrible in games when he hasn't faced many shots. But, I think that the Jets will be relying heavily on their forwards as they did last season, doing a lot of the heavy lifting with our defense corps; at least taking a step back (on paper) to start out the season. Perhaps they will be giving up a lot more shots on net, and (hopefully) a lot clean looks.

Going over Comrie's time in Buffalo, I don't think that he was in a very good position throughout his tenure with the team. After a 10-4 home game loss to Dallas in 2023:

WIVB.com

"Comrie shouldn't shoulder all the blame, as the Sabres gave up 49 shots on net, and 42 scoring chances, according to Natural Stat Trick. Five of the Stars goals came in the final 11 minutes after

"Losing their third game in a row, the Sabres (32-28-4) slid into fifth in the race for two wild-card playoff spots in the Eastern Conference with 68 points, tied with the Senators, and behind the Capitals (69), Panthers (70), Penguins (74) and Islanders (76). Buffalo chances of ending its NHL-record playoff drought after 11 seasons are now below 4%, according to Money Puck, after rising close to 50% in recent weeks."

"Buffalo also continued its trend of poor play at home, dropping to 13-18-2 at KeyBank Center this season, and 4-10 since the start of January. The Sabres return to home ice Saturday to face Patrick Kane and the Rangers."

"Sabres coach Don Granato said he had thought about replacing Comrie after the Stars built a 4-1 lead midway through the second period, but the Sabres closed the gap to 5-3 in the third, he decided to stick with the veteran instead of switching to rookie Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen, who has struggled of late."

Comrie from January on:

View attachment 915291

View attachment 915292

View attachment 915303

October 31st, 2023

"Comrie has been placed on the injured reserve with a lower-body injury after recording a 2.45 GAA and .914 SV% in three games (1-1-0) and is expected to miss at least a few weeks. With Devon Levi still unavailable, Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen has filled in admirably, posting a 2.84 GAA and .915 SV% along with one shutout in three games (2-1-0) and should continue to be the number one goaltender for the Sabres in the interim."

Carolina (7th), Detroit (9th), Florida (11th, Nashville (10th), and Tampa Bay (5th) ranked in the top third in Goals For among the 32 teams in the NHL last year. Buffalo wasn't eliminated from the playoff race until April 10th, 2024.

Coming back from an early season injury, getting sent down to the minors, having an eratic schedule, not exactly playing the best teams to face against, being placed on waivers (Dec 31, 2023), can't be good for his confidence either.

I think only looking at games where a goalie faces 30 shots or more introduces a statistical bias (survivorship maybe?). You're excluding games where he may have given up a bunch of goals on a few shots and gotten pulled.

That 10 goal game vs. Dallas is a strange one. 9 of Dallas' goals were at 5v5? Sheesh... Well, it's a good thing we don't play the Stars very oft- ...oh no. :sarcasm:

I mean, hoping for the best and that getting out of Buffalo and back to where he had some success a few years ago works out. There weren't a ton of great options on the backup goalie market in the offseason.

It's really not a big deal what the Jets do there as long as Hellebuyck's around. If your team's not good enough to win when your backup is playing the dregs of the league then your problem isn't really your backup...

Reactions: Dale53130

bustamente

Fraud Supporter
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
Everyone needs a good back up and hopes he does well, LB did just that last year and got rewarded. Is Comrie better than KK as a back up? that's debatable but I think familiarity had a big part in the decision the Jets made.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I can understand not wanting to pay that much for a backup to Hellebuyck, but it makes a 110 point season unlikely without improvements to the skater roster.

The issue is that teams generally don't want to tie up that much cap space in a back-up goalie when you have an ace #1 for the playoffs.

Yup.
But like you said Bro was probably worth AT LEAST 6 pts last year. My guess would be closer to 10 and it might be even more if they had played him 5 more times and rested Helle a bit. Hell, it might have been a SC. Probably not, but maybe.

88,000,000 / 3,300,000 = 26.667 * 6 = 160 pts if every 3.3 mil produced 6 pts. That is 80 wins :laugh:. So good value for the money.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

View attachment 915277

WIVB.com

Comrie from January on:

View attachment 915291

View attachment 915292

View attachment 915303

October 31st, 2023

You are going to an awful lot of work to prove that Comrie is better than his record. For it to mean anything you need to apply the same rigor to proving that Kahkonen is also better than he is. In fact, you need to do all of the goalies to determine what the standards should be.

Dale53130

Nov 10, 2019
It having been with the Jets isn't very meaningful. I have no idea why you would credit that as a "key part". In fact it doesn't mean squat unless there is some synergy between Helle and his backups. There is a possibility of that existing. His backups have generally done well and have had good relationships with him and also with Flaherty. But if that is a real effect there is no reason why it wouldn't also apply to KK.

Nobody was taking Comrie

He's in the same situation, in a similar environment, as he was in 2021-22. Why is that off the table?

Why can't that apply to Comrie also? More importantly, why ingore 2021-22 as though it didn't happen? The key portion, is less to do with Comrie, and a lot do with that I trust that the Jets staff/braintrust can get the most out of him in 2024-25. Not that it isn't binary, Comrie has to do his part and put in the work (sounds like he's the type to do so), but the Jets have a great track record with backups as of late.

Do you not trust Flaherty judgement/coaching?

Also, maybe they've identified something about KK's general make-up, that maybe he isn't easy to work with compared to Comrie. Perhaps he doesn't identify himself as a back-up goalie, or embrace that role.

Nobody was taking Comrie.

That's true. I agree with you.

That doesn't mean that the Jets don't see the value in bringing him back though, irrespective of what 31 other teams think.

The Jets get him for cheap, they likely identify what was wrong with him in Buffalo and don't think it's irrevocable damage, and as you said, "His backups have generally done well and have a good relationship with him and also with Flaherty." And they certainly have over the past 4 years, and I personally think that Comrie's 2021-22 as a backup, is second only to Broissoit's 2023-24 campaign over that span.

We're in Winnipeg. It goes a long way for the team's culture and how other players on other teams around the league perceive us. That Scheifele & Hellebuyck signed long-term, that guys like Appleton, Comrie, Broissoit, and Stastny have come back (via trades or free agency), and that we generally move guys at the right time which shows that our GM is competent enough.

Dale53130

Nov 10, 2019
I think only looking at games where a goalie faces 30 shots or more introduces a statistical bias (survivorship maybe?). You're excluding games where he may have given up a bunch of goals on a few shots and gotten pulled.
I agree. I was toying with that exercise. I just wanted to see how he did when he faced more shots, because I think the Jets are going to be giving up a lot of shots this year.

Needless to say, he was bad in Buffalo no matter which filters I apply.

That 10 goal game vs. Dallas is a strange one. 9 of Dallas' goals were at 5v5? Sheesh... Well, it's a good thing we don't play the Stars very oft- ...oh no. :sarcasm:

:laugh: The great news is that we don't play Dallas on back-to-backs this year, and we don't play them for another month.

Dale53130

Nov 10, 2019
You are going to an awful lot of work to prove that Comrie is better than his record. For it to mean anything you need to apply the same rigor to proving that Kahkonen is also better than he is. In fact, you need to do all of the goalies to determine what the standards should be.

Your case is pretty much that you think that Kahkonen's more talented and a year younger. You haven't really attempted to make a case, other than ask me to ignore Comrie in Winnipeg in 2021-22, and think more about Kahkonen's time with Minnesota; as though it just happened.

I've consistently stated that Comrie was bad in Buffalo. Trying to understand if it was more than just his being bad in net, if other factors could have contributed with his bad play, might be a wasted exercise, but it doesn't hurt to look either. To me, a lot of work is writing 50K worth of posts with a high percentage of it being engaged in circular arguments. :naughty:

I'm hoping that Comrie builds on where he was three years ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad