Post-Game Talk: GAME 2 - BRUINS 6 Poutineville 4 - OLE OLE OLE

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Question: which players on this roster are scrappers?

Kastelic
Zadarov
Jones?
Brazeau?

Not a McQuaid type, but a Ference/ Campbell attitude who won’t hesitate to jump into a fray?

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Question: which players on this roster are scrappers?

Kastelic
Zadarov
Jones?
Brazeau?

Not a McQuaid type, but a Ference/ Campbell attitude who won’t hesitate to jump into a fray?
Wotherspoon and Peeke can throw down if the situation calls for it. Not frequent fighters but they've had their scraps.

Marchand in the flyweight division too, though in most cases it's better for him to stay on the ice than sit for five minutes.

Reactions: Oates2Neely

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Wotherspoon and Peeke can throw down if the situation calls for it. Not frequent fighters but they've had their scraps.

Marchand in the flyweight division too, though in most cases it's better for him to stay on the ice than sit for five minutes.
I like the idea of having a half dozen players who won’t turn the other cheek. Could be a fun season. The young legs should help

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
You guys have a good one with Lane Hutson. You can tell that kid is going to be such a dynamic player back there.
Are you from the rock by any chance? I see the NF turnip in your avatar and I am a fan.

I like beating you guys but I agree - future is bright for the Habs, I think this rivalry picks up again pretty soon
Well, turnabout is fair play I guess. We beat you into the dirt for a lifetime so I guess things have a way of evening up. Cheers.

Reactions: NDiesel

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Not Austin Matthews.

Over his career, Matthews' takeaways/giveaways numbers are 562/430.

Over his career, Pasta's numbers are 413/718.

Pasta has led the top 10 goal scorers in giveaways the last two seasons.

Much as it pains me to say it, there's no question Matthews is a more responsible player than Pasta. I do think it's important to acknowledge though that the former is a center and the latter isn't. By definition a center has to protect the puck more and has a greater defensive role. Which isn't to say that a winger can just float and do what they like, no matter who they are, but they are typically given a little more latitude to make risky plays and lean further into the risk/reward zone. So the two players aren't directly comparable.

That said, I have long wished that Pasta would giveaway the puck less and not a few of the plays he attempts have vanishingly low chances of paying off. There's clever ambition, and then there's absurdity or sheer laziness. In the end though, I put whatever fault there is for this on the coaches more than the player. The coaches have proved either unable or unwilling to change the way Pasta plays. Perhaps they are right to do so - it may be that if you take away his 'free spirit' or whatever then you'd damage what makes him so dangerous. Either way, pretty safe to say I think that it's not changing now.

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
I cringed when I heard the Ole, Ole chants with more than ten minutes left in the third, we were up 5-2 at the time and sure enough, bang, bang, it’s 5-4. Please save those chants for when you have a three-goal lead with one minute left.
Drop the Ole chants altogether. They belong in Montreal and soccer—not Boston.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Much as it pains me to say it, there's no question Matthews is a more responsible player than Pasta. I do think it's important to acknowledge though that the former is a center and the latter isn't. By definition a center has to protect the puck more and has a greater defensive role. Which isn't to say that a winger can just float and do what they like, no matter who they are, but they are typically given a little more latitude to make risky plays and lean further into the risk/reward zone. So the two players aren't directly comparable.

That said, I have long wished that Pasta would giveaway the puck less and not a few of the plays he attempts have vanishingly low chances of paying off. There's clever ambition, and then there's absurdity or sheer laziness. In the end though, I put whatever fault there is for this on the coaches more than the player. The coaches have proved either unable or unwilling to change the way Pasta plays. Perhaps they are right to do so - it may be that if you take away his 'free spirit' or whatever then you'd damage what makes him so dangerous. Either way, pretty safe to say I think that it's not changing now.

I was presented with a comparison to other goal scorers. So I took the best in the game today.

We seem to agree that Pasta doesn't seem to have much interest in refining (improving) his game. Blame the coaches if you wish, it doesn't really matter. We can still hope a light goes on one day and Pasta realizes he could be a better player. It would make the Bruins a better team.

Last edited:

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
Certainly hate those punks more lately...
There has been many Habs teams over the years I have hated. I started in 1979 or so....The mid 80's were a pain with Steve Penney and Patrick Roy....then later, Neely was the key to turning around the Bruins fortunes....then you had the two really good Bruins teams losing to them early 2000's I hated those teams the most.....the Komisarek Habs were particularly nauseating as well. The 2014 team I hates as well, but the Bruins had it coming with the stupid Lucic and Krug chest thumps and Thornton squirting Subban w the water bottle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad