JVR at the deadline

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Expansion draft or not, teams won't be giving away top guys. At best, a team will give you their 4th best D that doesn't need to be protected. When you go through most depth charts, those players are not difference makers.

Manson would be a good partner for Rielly
He's a realistic target and may not even cost 2 1sts

Rielly Manson
Gardiner Zaitsev
Whoever Carrick

That's solid

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
Don't see JVR being traded for futures at the deadline. He's likely staying or being traded for a top 4D or someone who has top 4D potential and can be slotted into our lineup right away.

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
Sliding Rielly over is not ideal he's young and still finding his way and Gardiner is an adventure on his strong side let alone forcing him to play his offside

The guy we get either needs to be a RD or have the ability to play his offside

If the guy is top 4 and cheap you can make due but if your giving up 2 1sts + I'd want someone quite close to ideal since that's a solid package and not bit parts being traded away

That would be my preference too. I wouldn't rule out a guy like Brodin simply because he is LHD. He has shown the ability to play both sides and Babs has shown he will work this option if need be.

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016

Rielly Manson
Gardiner Zaitsev
Whoever Carrick

That's solid

I brought up Manson a couple days ago. I agree, he's a perfect fit and the Ducks could use JVR big time.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Again, need names to have a rational conversation.

Which becomes a problem since none of us knows whose on the trade market.

But a package of multiple 1sts could get a player like say Dumba, Hamilton, etc. Top four guys but not quite too paring quality (which is fine since those guys almost never traded).

RightyYourWrongy*

Feb 19, 2017
There was a moment in that game that changed my opinion almost entirely:

There is an offensive chance with Bozak and JvR - JvR turns on the jets and makes it a 2-1, dare I say he almost hustled.

Then in the defensive end (different shift) and just stands around as the Rangers just skate and pass around him. He doesn't move his feet, doesn't fight for position, doesn't do anything but look lazy and lost.

I'm over it.

Trade him.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Cody Ceci possibly? Both JVR and Bozak need to go, they aren't winners here. I don't care what combo of trades needs to be done but between the two of them, they need to bring back one 2nd pairing dman, at least one decent B level prospect or picks, and one DEFENSIVELY RESPONSIBLE 3rd line centre who can be trusted late in games although this centre doesn't have to come from the trades, he could come via free agency in terms of having more cap space by getting rid of those two.

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
Josh Manson is the ideal defenceman to add.

I'm not sure I'd give up JVR for him, though.

JVR is almost superfluous now, think about how unnecessary he will be in 2 years when the rookies have improved and he has regressed while earning an extra $2M a year.

Any addition on defense is an improvement. It should be a no brainer.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
JVR is almost superfluous now, think about how unnecessary he will be in 2 years when the rookies have improved and he has regressed while earning an extra $2M a year.

Especially since JVR is currently 9th amongst leafs forwards in ice time.

He is easily replaceable internally on a team with one of the best wing depth/prospects in the NHL.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On

Agreed
We'd regret signing him long term

And once he and bozak are gone, that's basically it for the old regime. I don't really count Gardiner or Rielly

And for those who have indicated other teams are aware of his warts - on a team that needs scoring that is already fairly solid defensively, he'd be a great fit.
And there's no way he's signing a 5 year deal IMO.

Last edited:

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Especially since JVR is currently 9th amongst leafs forwards in ice time.

He is easily replaceable internally on a team with one of the best wing depth/prospects in the NHL.

A couple of weeks ago Jvr was one of the best points 60 players in the league. Imagine how good he could have been if he was more dedicated to training and defense. He definitely gets us a first round pick plus whatever else in a prospects and picks type of deal i assume.(because this draft is considered weaker).

Moving him and adding a quality defenseman that would need expansion draft protection is a option. I'm not so sure management dislikes him. Moving him for solid prospects and picks at this deadline is likely the most value he will have. His value will be considerably lower at next seasons deadline.

It depends on managements long term plan for him ultimately. I think Anaheim would like some scoring for a quality young defenseman they have. Lots of teams would want him. Great alue right now.

Pick your poison on this decision, go for playoffs or continue a long range viewed rebuild. Trading him will effect our scoring in the short term. Scoring is what is keeping us alive in this playoff race, not defense so it will effect our chances of playoffs moving him now.

I am basically neutral on this in trusting management with making the proper decision from their position of full knowledge of the situation. I am watching the Jvr situation with particular interest.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009

Rielly Manson
Gardiner Zaitsev
Whoever Carrick

That's solid

Seems like a classic case of taking a #4 and asking him to be a #2. Has failed written all over it. My guess is he'll never be a true top pairing guy.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Which becomes a problem since none of us knows whose on the trade market.

But a package of multiple 1sts could get a player like say Dumba, Hamilton, etc. Top four guys but not quite too paring quality (which is fine since those guys almost never traded).

Right, so guys who don't solve our problem, but cost us assets. Not a big fan. I would rather sign guys who can replace our 5th and 6th guys and hope we find another top 4 internally.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009

His game isn't reliant on speed. He'll likely be an effective player well into his 30s.

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
His game isn't reliant on speed. He'll likely be an effective player well into his 30s.

We've had this discussion, it's tedious. There are numerous studies that show forwards peak at 26 or 27. They may not be done after that, but the returns get progressively worse with every successive year on the wrong side of 27.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Doesn't JVR have a modified no trade clause? So pretty much what you're looking at is he's only going to a potential winner, or at least a team in the playoffs. So unless the Leafs are basement dwellers again, JVR is here to stay.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
There was a moment in that game that changed my opinion almost entirely:

There is an offensive chance with Bozak and JvR - JvR turns on the jets and makes it a 2-1, dare I say he almost hustled.

Then in the defensive end (different shift) and just stands around as the Rangers just skate and pass around him. He doesn't move his feet, doesn't fight for position, doesn't do anything but look lazy and lost.

I'm over it.

Trade him.

JVR's main focus is dangling his mouthguard out of his mouth. Flourescent green so no one can miss it. A smart GM wouldn't move anything of importance for this player. They would have seen the major swings in effectiveness via his compete level. He is soft, does not care enough, plays with little to no passion. He is part of the old regime that no one wants to remember. His linemate Bozak's skating is a major liability in the game too. It appears he lost a step this year when he was always just average in the skating department and can not afford to get slower. Marner can drive a line without those 2 players.

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
Doesn't JVR have a modified no trade clause? So pretty much what you're looking at is he's only going to a potential winner, or at least a team in the playoffs. So unless the Leafs are basement dwellers again, JVR is here to stay.

He has a 10 team NTC, but I'm not sure I follow your line of thinking. How is the Leafs placing a determinant to being traded?

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
He has a 10 team NTC, but I'm not sure I follow your line of thinking. How is the Leafs placing a determinant to being traded?

yeah that's weird. If we traded him it seems Anaheim looks like a great fit in terms of need of player and d to give us, Anaheim is in the playoffs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad