Value of: JVR 50% retained

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Currysux*

Retention on this type of player is worth it to contenders...

But if you're Toronto, should you? They do have an extremely high amount of talent in their prospects, but I think there's a good chance JVR re-signs with toronto long term afterwards and Leafs can afford it... and they'll need a higher paying contract in 2 years to make floor. Then they could maximize his return value if they start pressing against the cap to remain competitive.

A team like Anaheim might pay up a lot more for JVR at 50% because they are a buget team. Fowler + Ritchie + 1st for JVR (50% retained) + Loov + 5th?

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
A team like Anaheim might pay up a lot more for JVR at 50% because they are a buget team. Fowler + Ritchie + 1st for JVR (50% retained) + Loov + 5th?

That is an absurd price. Fowler for JVR is fine, $2 million in Cap space is not worth Ritchie + 1st.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
i'm glad you started this thread because i mostly ignored JVR trade threads until it happened to us. I can't figure out how a guy with his tires pumped so hard by the fanbase is offered up so often. Maybe now I'll get a coherent answer!

I wouldn't do it. for my perspective the Wild would be giving up a young d with a lot of prime years left for a guy we'd have to retain (at a poor value contract) in a couple years or replace likely with another forward in roughly the same career status AND replace that top four D...again likely with someone older and more expensive if we want to compete.

It might be alright if we didn't already have Parise and Suter signed with a bunch of poor value years.

I think it has everything to do with wanting to make up trade proposals. The most realistic asset we can move is Bozak and that just isn't as sexy. There is no reason to believe he is available and all indications are the contrary, we can certainly afford to extend him also unless his demands are stupid. Add that he is our only proven first line forward, one of the few with size and playoff experience and it pretty much makes 0 sense.

We obviously need some veterans in the top 6 and his presence will be very beneficial to guys like Matthews, we also have no one in the system who projects to be a first line left winger (unless we shift Nylander) so it is creating one hole to fill another.

Do not think for a moment the guys who put out endless Trade proposals in any way reflect the majority of Leaf fans. Most Leaf fans do not care about imaginary trades. Retaining on him on top of it all is laughable, it is unlikely any GM would do that in real life.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
JVR at 50% would get a massive return.

Young potential top 6 forward + young potential top 4 D + 1st at least IMO. Maybe one other piece, a secondary "B" prospect if anything.

He wouldn't even return the first three pieces unless the players in question were like, Beau Bennett, Derrick Pouliot and Pitts 1st. Then they might add a secondary B prospect if they were desperate enough. Any more than those three pieces mentioned though and there's no way anyone would pay that much let alone keep adding.

Ha Ha.

ThatSaid

May 31, 2015
Glendale Heights, IL
He wouldn't even return the first three pieces unless the players in question were like, Beau Bennett, Derrick Pouliot and Pitts 1st. Then they might add a secondary B prospect if they were desperate enough. Any more than those three pieces mentioned though and there's no way anyone would pay that much let alone keep adding.

Ha Ha.

I disagree. My team (the Hawks) would probably trade Pokka + pick of Schmaltz/Forsling + a small piece for him retained at 50%.

Group Chat Legend*

Slightly more than JVR without retention? Honestly, what team is looking at JVR and saying "Yeah, not at that salary... But if you retained 50% then we would give you a boatload." The only teams where that may be true are the teams who don't really have the assets that one would hope to upgrade to by retaining.

Thats not the point. The retention is only for 2 years, Toronto owners can pay it quite obviously, it increases the return for JvR and the amount of suitors... I dont see why you wouldn't retain 50%.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.

Ducks are not trading Fowler (our most experienced young defenseman who is our 2nd best overall) and Ritchie (our top forward prospect) and a 1st rounder for JVR at 50% (for 2 years then becomes a UFA we wont sign) + Loov (a 23 year old defenseman prospect we don't need when our blueline prospect pool is our strength) and a 5th rounder. Just terrible terrible for the Ducks we are not that stupid to make a trade like that.

tony d

New poll series coming from me in June
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
JVR's a very tradeable asset for Toronto. Got to think they may dangle him to Anaheim for a guy like Cam Fowler.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Why does Toronto need to retain on JVR? They don't.

I can't figure out why so many people want to trade him...let alone retain. Stupid idea....we still need competent players on our roster.

Last edited:

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I hope the Leafs don't trade him. I really like JvR on the team, it doesn't make sense to completely strip your team when you are already done rebuilding your forward core for the most part.

Matthews, Nylander, Marner, Kadri, JvR...and a ton of good prospects like Brown, Sosh, Kap, Timashov etc.

I'd try and sign JvR to a Okposo type deal. That guy was amazing in the playoffs for Philly and for the Leafs against the Bruins.

Mad Brills*

I'd rather try to get shattenkirk for a jvr package

only reason why people start these threads and sometimes me included is that they don't think he's resigning for a discount.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Caps can't send a top 4 D now (unless you want Orlov).

Would need to send back Winnik (ha!) to make salaries work, and then futures.

Winnik, 1st, Bowey. Something like that. Maybe Vanacek too, have TO send back a pick (2nd?)

Mad Brills*

no **** that would be a good deal, but the coyotes are nuts to offer that for JVR.

Hally BlackWood

Jul 31, 2010
Thunder Bay
WHy would toronto retain on him he already has good value just get what you can if you really want to trade him. I bet lou doesn't want him to go any where he and matthews might be great together big boys

sda

Feb 18, 2008
Because a haul like ....

Anthony Duclair
Nick Merkley
Jakob Chychrun

would help their youth movement.
So would keeping the best player out of those mentioned. Leafs have a ton of prospects. they need to keep some young vets like JVR

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
He's already on a team friendly contract. I'd only retain if the offer was something ridiculous. It's just not realistic.

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
Why is toronto trading their first line left winger, let alone retaining? They are trying to make the playoffs.

In 2-3 years yeah, this year, that's clearly not likely with the roster they have. They're rebuilding and starting to inject youth. JVR, as good as he is, is not a part of that plan going forward IMO.

JVR @ 50 percent retained...

I'd do something around Bigras (Avs also adding) as much as I don't want to, but that's tempting.

PaulGG

May 15, 2011
Teams that are contending would be interested but not to give up a top 4 d-man or an important piece they would need in the playoffs for two years of JVR. Picks and prospects perhaps.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad