Confirmed with Link: Juraj Slafkovsky re-signs with the Canadiens 8 x $7.6M

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
I have come to conclusion that people on the main board are part of an experience conducted by Pinel institute in Montreal. I've never seen so many stupid takes in 1 thread.
I've been a poster on this site for about 8 ish years and a lurker for way more and I never ever go on the main board.

I don't need to read takes about the Habs from people who don't even watch the Habs.

Reactions: HabsWhiteKnightLOL

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
But it's the average Joe that makes those insane deals possible by spending their money (whether it's merchandise, live games, cable subscription, etc.). So it's nothing but fair IMO.
I realize this is the case, it costs a fortune to go to NHL arenas to watch games, but I was looking at the struggles of the everyday person which has little to do with Slaf. I feel good for him but also empathize with those who aren't doing so well.

danisonfire

2313 Saint Catherine
Jul 2, 2009
I have come to conclusion that people on the main board are part of an experience conducted by Pinel institute in Montreal. I've never seen so many stupid takes in 1 thread.
It reminds me of a collective of Quebec Nordiques fans aka half the Montreal Canadiens media right now. Go look up the biggest haters in our media and chances are they use to cover the Nordiques or they grew up fans of them.

Treal

Jul 6, 2007
Nothing wrong with this contract. Fits the structure set by Suzuki's deal and adds another foundation of the core to build on. If he continues to progress the way he has shown this year, it might be an even bigger steal than Suzuki and Caufield's contracts.

Now, re-sign Dvorak!! :sarcasm:

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Well the league make several billions in revenue (6.6 last fiscal year?) so it's only natural for the athletes to get a slice of the pie. Now I do think our world is kind of broken when I look at all the sport league revenues, but then again Joe Average Dude played an active role in creating those monsters.
I agree but it isn't the point I was making. It has nothing to do with Slaf or the Habs, it's just my take on the way things are right now.

Takeru

Oct 6, 2014
Good bet of a contract and I don't think it's a coincidence that the announcement coincides with an otherwise inactive July 1st.

It will take the spotlight away from not making any big ufa signing which probably would have been a mistake regardless.
There is an optics motive behind it for sure (masking lack of any big ufa signing) but I think it also sends a good message about where our priorities are: locking up our budding core players.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I love it, I think we saved a solid 750k-1M per year than if we had waited till next summer
I think the strategy signing Caufield, Suzuki and Slaf 8 years is that in 3-4 years 23 millions for 3 solid top 6 player wont be a bad deal at all with the cap likely being close to 100 millions then (if it works in Utah you can expect the cap to increase).

So even if the 3 plateau as solid top 6 it's not bad deals midway thru the contract. If one or two of them becomes elite than it going to be a very good deal for around 3-4 years right when our window will likely start to be serious. It brings certainty for many years and we wont have to renegotiate two of them the same year either. the contracts end 2030, 2031 and 2032.

Sub 8M for a 1st liner will be cheap in the 100M cap world we're gonna be in not too far from now.
It's 7.6 though. Every dollar count. I hated when MB would overpay 250k for a bottom 6 player and then people would be "it's not a big deal" and i was like if you overpay your entire bottom 6 by 250k - 300k then it's around 1.5m to 2m less you have for your top 6. I like that this time around we focus on paying the top 6 and then use the remaining $ for the bottom 6.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Now, re-sign Dvorak!! :sarcasm:
23a54b4e167ffdc3ad3904b55699013b.gif

Paddy17

Apr 10, 2021
Slafkovsky Suzuki and Caufield taking on these contracts will have a ripple effect on every future contract for the next 3-5 years.

Now, we just have to wait/find a way to move off the bad contracts handed out by Bergevin. We will soon be back to competing for the cup, we just need to be a little more patient.
Culture!

Reactions: Canadiens98

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
The opposite of this is true. Early on this year, his first 15-20 games he seemed to struggle quite a bit and then he took off. There is quite literally no downside to this deal. He should be good for 60+ points next year without injury. Go luck at how much that costs this day and age. Then remember Slaf just turned 20 3 months ago.

This is a sweetheart deal. I was a skeptic when he looked lost on the ice, but he’s been past that for 60 games or so.
I would agree with you but progression is not linear.

Imagine giving Galchenyuk that contract after his 30 goals season at age 21.

Not saying this will happen but saying there is not risk is wrong.

la25ecoupe

Sep 23, 2008
Curious to know how is Slaf's play lately.. I remember when he first started he got benched and seemed to have trouble.. didn't watch last season so did he improved so much to get this 7.6M deal? That's 400K away from Stamkos!

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
I would agree with you but progression is not linear.

Imagine giving Galchenyuk that contract after his 30 goals season at age 21.

Not saying this will happen but saying there is not risk is wrong.

I totally agree but go back and look at all those goals. They were all the same. It was just one timers mostly on the man advantage. Galchenyuk also preferred playing in the snow more than perfecting his practice. I'm much more confident in players who are true gamers. Slafs been living alone since 14 and is a true pro. Sometimes you got to gamble. And on this gamble, the odds are good imo

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Aaah...
The Suzuki Standard Holds that is AWESOME news.
It must be said that the Habs are fortunate and its a good sign, because he could have easily have waited, bet on himself and really hold a lot of leverage for his next deal.

Good on Slaf too, that deal is going to be a bargain soon enough.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
Suzuki Caufield and Slafkovky all bought into the program. No one gets paid more than the captain looks like.
Very good job by kent. We did not follow the greedy trio of Maple leaf.

The only player with the possibility of earning more then Suzuki is probably Demidov. With the Salary Cap going up and him having his first NHL season at 19-20.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jaynki

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Glad to get this done. I think he'll be worth it but I hope HuGo (and the core) understands that in a rising cap world having everyone under 8 probably isn't going to be feasible.
But the crazy thing is, right now he's managing to keep his core guys (Suzuki, Caufield and now Slafkovsky) under 8M/yr.

Guhle is probably up next.

That's huge.

When these guys are in the middle of their deals, they should be a competitive team and have no one the roster making a ton of money and the cap keeps rising.

He's really set himself to have both cost certainty AND cap flexibility in 2-3 years.

Hughes is cooking.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad