Prospect Info: 2024 Draft (1/11): Sam Dickinson (D) | London Knights (OHL)

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Wonder if Grier is going to pick up a RD in the market?

I think he has to. You can't trot out Benning, Ruuta, and Vlasic as your RD with Ferraro, Walman, and Muk on the left. Barring trades, we don't have help coming from the draft for two to four years either.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
Two Minutes For Slashing

s2iNqoRu_400x400.jpg

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
I think he has to. You can't trot out Benning, Ruuta, and Vlasic as your RD with Ferraro, Walman, and Muk on the left. Barring trades, we don't have help coming from the draft for two to four years either.
Unfortunately "you can't" = he definitely could. I'm with you, he should definitely try to add, but there's a chance we add nobody and we basically just swapped Addison with Walman and hope that Emberson and Benning stay healthy.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Unfortunately "you can't" = he definitely could. I'm with you, he should definitely try to add, but there's a chance we add nobody and we basically just swapped Addison with Walman and hope that Emberson and Benning stay healthy.

Probably fair. That in of itself is an improvement, but we seriously need one more, minimum. Though you are right that Grier may try, and ultimately come up short.

Chinaski89

May 17, 2019
Uhh.. What? I'm sure they are considering the player and their attributes, not their future point totals and contracts, when drafting a player.
Saying for the first five years wouldn’t it be nice to have a solid OFD through arbitration without having to get one through free agency… makes financial sense for when we are competitive again because OFD’s aren’t cheap on the open market.

Shark Finn

∀dministrator
Jan 5, 2012
Herwood
Saying for the first five years wouldn’t it be nice to have a solid OFD through arbitration without having to get one through free agency… makes financial sense for when we are competitive again because OFD’s aren’t cheap on the open market.
I don't think that's a point of worry at this moment. They got their guy and that's all that matters (and personally, I'm not complaining). I'm sure they'll be able to add an OFD at some point, be it through draft, trade or FA, if they feel like the team needs one.

Reactions: Chinaski89

mogambomoroo

Sponsor
Oct 12, 2020
I don't remember if it has been discussed yet, but Dickinson models his game after Miro Heiskanen!
Even though every prospect models their game with someone that's already in NHL, I believe Sam Dickinson can exceed those expectations. Maybe not a Miro Heiskanen 100% but even if he is close, it will be a giant win!

crowncarrier

My father hung me on a hook once....once.
Apr 10, 2015
London Knights fan here. You guys got an amazing player coming your way. I'm not just saying this because I'm a Knights fan. He's well balanced on the D side aswell as the O. He skates VERY well. He has good size and is not afraid to use the body or mix it up a bit. I've been a season ticket holder for 23 years and he's the best all around D I have seen come through this organization. You have a great re-build on your hands and you might be contending alot sooner than some may think. With newcomers like Dickinson, Celebrini, and Halttunen your going to be in great shape.

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
London Knights fan here. You guys got an amazing player coming your way. I'm not just saying this because I'm a Knights fan. He's well balanced on the D side aswell as the O. He skates VERY well. He has good size and is not afraid to use the body or mix it up a bit. I've been a season ticket holder for 23 years and he's the best all around D I have seen come through this organization. You have a great re-build on your hands and you might be contending alot sooner than some may think. With newcomers like Dickinson, Celebrini, and Halttunen your going to be in great shape.
From your perspective is Halttunen more than just an elite shot?

crowncarrier

Apr 10, 2015
From your perspective is Halttunen more than just an elite shot?
Yes, he's a big body and is not afraid to play physical. And hes not afraid to rough it up a bit too. He has pretty good vision when moving the puck around. But, like you said he has an elite shot...one of the best I've seen. He's not a dipsy doodle kind a guy when it comes to one on one but he's an elite talent. I loved his physical play as he's a big body and he uses it. He was very fun to watch.

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
Yes, he's a big body and is not afraid to play physical. And hes not afraid to rough it up a bit too. He has pretty good vision when moving the puck around. But, like you said he has an elite shot...one of the best I've seen. He's not a dipsy doodle kind a guy when it comes to one on one but he's an elite talent. I loved his physical play as he's a big body and he uses it. He was very fun to watch.
I notice you said “was” fun to watch. Do you expect him back or is the word from London that he is moving on?

crowncarrier

Apr 10, 2015
I notice you said “was” fun to watch. Do you expect him back or is the word from London that he is moving on?
The problem it he was drafted before he signed with London so he's eligible to play in the AHL next year rather then having to wait an additional year if he was drafted as a Knight. So he has three options next year, OHL, AHL, and NHL. I'm guessing the Sharks would like to see him play in the AHL. If he was drafted as a London Knight he would only have two options...the OHL and NHL. And usually an NHL club will not burn a year on a contract if the player has those options unless he was at that level or they had a dire need to fill a spot on the roster.

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
The problem it he was drafted before he signed with London so he's eligible to play in the AHL next year rather then having to wait an additional year if he was drafted as a Knight. So he has three options next year, OHL, AHL, and NHL. I'm guessing the Sharks would like to see him play in the AHL. If he was drafted as a London Knight he would only have two options...the OHL and NHL. And usually an NHL club will not burn a year on a contract if the player has those options unless he was at that level or they had a dire need to fill a spot on the roster.
Just to warn you, if both Halttunen and Dickinson are back with London next season (which I do expect), you are going to have your work cut out for you here as their biggest hype man!

(I really like both players--I could watch Dickinson skate the puck out of his zone for hours on end--and hope you get a lot of chances to celebrate them over the next year.)

crowncarrier

Apr 10, 2015
Just to warn you, if both Halttunen and Dickinson are back with London next season (which I do expect), you are going to have your work cut out for you here as their biggest hype man!

(I really like both players--I could watch Dickinson skate the puck out of his zone for hours on end--and hope you get a lot of chances to celebrate them over the next year.)
Dickinson will be back in the OHL. I never said he was coming up already. Heck from what I heard Celebrini wants to stay another year in college so there's no way they are going to burn a year on his contract. Also the Sharks are not in a huge hurry. And as for Halttunen I said he will likley be in the AHL not NHL but you never know. If the Hunters find a way to keep Halttunen an extra year while he's eligible to play in the AHL I will be absolutely SHOCKED.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I don't see the reason the bump halttunen to the ahl, he had a good season in london but he wasn't that dominant to warrant that big of a bump after 1 year.

crowncarrier

Apr 10, 2015
I don't see the reason the bump halttunen to the ahl, he had a good season in london but he wasn't that dominant to warrant that big of a bump after 1 year.
It's about player development. He would be better suited playing in the AHL. I've been watching OHL for many years and I've never seen a player as good as he is not go to the AHL when thry were eligible.

Yea agree he played 3rd line minutes - hopefully he can have a bigger role this year.
He bounced between the first line at the beginning of the year then the second line throughout the rest of the year. Played on the 1st pp unit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad