Value of: Julius Honka to the Oilers

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
Nurse and Honka are 2 different Dmen. Nurse I would say has more value, but if you had a team full of defensive Dmen, then Honka would be a need and vise versa.

Don't see the need to compare the two

No Dallas fans are saying Lindell or Honka are going to be future #1's. Not to many of us are feeling great about anything with our team atm lol. There aren't many of us on here anyways

Lindell has looked good, but he's got along way to go

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
I really wouldn't say #1s, but I would say they're both going to be productive NHL defensemen.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
This player I know almost nothing about is one I am going to propose a trade for. I also don't know his AHL numbers at all yet I still think he'd be a future NHL player for my favorite team.

Seems legit.

Do you think he is lying ? He explained his thinking . You know you can no nothing about a player but can see a fit base on position and team need .
Seem more like you are trying to start a pissing match . I probably don't know 1/2 the D in the NHL . Does that mean I don't see the value of adding a RHD with some offensive up side ? On the other matter Nurse will not be traded . If he was available he would have been moved for Hamilton . Chia likes his physical players that has size .

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Nurse and Honka are 2 different Dmen. Nurse I would say has more value, but if you had a team full of defensive Dmen, then Honka would be a need and vise versa.

Don't see the need to compare the two

No Dallas fans are saying Lindell or Honka are going to be future #1's. Not to many of us are feeling great about anything with our team atm lol. There aren't many of us on here anyways

Lindell has looked good, but he's got along way to go

This makes sense . 2 very different D that both teams have drafted and are developing the way the want . I think Nurse has more value but value is also base on team need and the GM vision of the team and Nurse fits that to a T . I also don't care what round a player was drafted it means nothing other wise teams would have pick many players earlier that they were pick ( Benn draft 129 Weber drafted 49 and then there Yakupov drafted 1st ) . it also doesn't matter who the better player is today when it comes to young players as 1 may plateau and never get any better .

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
I don't want to trade Honka unless it's a severe overpayment. I'm way too excited for next year when the Stars can roll out Klingberg, Johns, and Honka on the right side.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
I don't want to trade Honka unless it's a severe overpayment. I'm way too excited for next year when the Stars can roll out Klingberg, Johns, and Honka on the right side.

Yeah there isnt anything anyone could offer, that they are willing to offer, that would entice me to move Honka. We need puck moving D and our best prospect is a puck moving D who is at a PPG pace in the NHL. Honka is exactly what we need

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Yeah there isnt anything anyone could offer, that they are willing to offer, that would entice me to move Honka. We need puck moving D and our best prospect is a puck moving D who is at a PPG pace in the NHL. Honka is exactly what we need
AHL. Big difference between the two leagues. Justin Schultz was almost 1.5ppg in the AHL

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Honka is more well rounded. He may not have the size of nurse, but he does play physical, while actually having a better offensive and defensive game. Nurse really only has size on him. Add in that he is the ultra coveted right handed d, I dont see them equally valued.

Nurse's offensive and defensive game have already grown tremendously. He has looked good on the third pairing, and will grow to be able to play more minutes soon. To suggest that Nurse "only has size" on Honka is pretty ridiculous at this point, as is making it sound like Honka is a far superior player than Nurse is right now. I like Honka, I'd like to have him, but Nurse has a far more unique skill set and both have top pair upside at this point.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Do you think he is lying ? He explained his thinking . You know you can no nothing about a player but can see a fit base on position and team need .
Seem more like you are trying to start a pissing match . I probably don't know 1/2 the D in the NHL . Does that mean I don't see the value of adding a RHD with some offensive up side ? On the other matter Nurse will not be traded . If he was available he would have been moved for Hamilton . Chia likes his physical players that has size .

Just be honest up front. Nobody is offended by some other fan wanting to trade for a guy like Honka so there's no reason to couch it with qualifiers about how he's still in the AHL. No need to pretend you never heard of Honka or the AHL, no need to suggest he's not meeting expectations. Treat us like adults, we'll do the same.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
AHL. Big difference between the two leagues. Justin Schultz was almost 1.5ppg in the AHL

and then when he was in the NHL that year he put up about 0.5 PPG. I dont know about you but that is darn good production at the NHL level for a D.

You can try to down play honka all you want, fact is he is what we need and there is nothing you could offer that you are willing to part with that get me remotely interested in moving him

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Honka is more well rounded. He may not have the size of nurse, but he does play physical, while actually having a better offensive and defensive game. Nurse really only has size on him. Add in that he is the ultra coveted right handed d, I dont see them equally valued.

Honka hasn't played a game in the bigs yet so your claim that he is more well rounded or better defensively then Nurse aren't valid until he performs at a better level then Darnell in the NHL. I will conceded that he does have much higher offensive abilities then Nurse but TM has been trusting him with important minutes at crucial parts of hockey games and he's been doing very well. Also has 4 points in 10 games so it's not like his offence is non existent.

Edit: Correct me if i'm wrong but won't Honka have to be protected in expansion being a 3rd year pro? Nurse meanwhile is expansion exempt being only a 2nd year pro. That also affects value.

Last edited:

BeaverSports

Mar 3, 2004
Honka hasn't played a game in the bigs yet so your claim that he is more well rounded or better defensively then Nurse aren't valid until he performs at a better level then Darnell in the NHL. I will conceded that he does have much higher offensive abilities then Nurse but TM has been trusting him with important minutes at crucial parts of hockey games and he's been doing very well. Also has 4 points in 10 games so it's not like his offence is non existent.

Edit: Correct me if i'm wrong but won't Honka have to be protected in expansion being a 3rd year pro? Nurse meanwhile is expansion exempt being only a 2nd year pro. That also affects value.

We've been through this, Honka is exempt because he played in the AHL before age 20.

zar

Bleed Blue
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Listen, Dallas is not going to give Honka away for a bunch of lesser pieces... a developed Honka would be a very valuable piece and good D are always a need... I get that.

To say that you wouldn't trade Honka for Nurse, simply because Honka is better..... pleeeease! :shakehead Honka has not played one NHL game yet... it is a much different game. Not saying he can't make the transition but you can't guarantee anything. As someone already mentioned Justin Schultz (as a 22 year old was scoring at a 1.5 point per game pace - at a time where many NHL ready players were playing in the AHL due to labour issues).

You might say Nurse has gotten off to a inconsistent start in his 81 game NHL career, but hose are NHL games, also consider the circumstances under which he was forced into. He came in last year and played very well for about 15 games playing on the 3rd pairing. Unfortunately, he was then forced into playing a much more significant role as injuries decimated the Oilers blueline. At one point he was playing significant minutes on the Oilers first pairing with... Justin Schultz! It was a complete gong show! Through the first 10 games this year he has settled nicely onto the 3rd pairing (where a young Dman should be playing). Even when paired with Eric Gryba (admittedly, he should not be a regular NHL Dman), Nurse has played well. He has played the most minutes of any Oiler's Dmen on the PK... a PK ranked 2nd in the NHL.

Both Nurse and Honka look to be very promising, but for me... I prefer (NOTE: the word "prefer") a big bruising nasty defenceman who is a great skater, defensively responsible, can move the puck out of his zone and put up a few points any day of the week. Nurse has a combination of assets that you would be hard pressed to find many comparables in the NHL. I think he will top out at a #2 or #3D simply because he will never put up the numbers a true #1 should put up.

I admit I have only seen Honka play a few times, so I am relying on highlights and what I read. What range do you see Honka? Who are his comparables? I see him as a Hamonic, with a #2/#3 ceiling as well.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Just be honest up front. Nobody is offended by some other fan wanting to trade for a guy like Honka so there's no reason to couch it with qualifiers about how he's still in the AHL. No need to pretend you never heard of Honka or the AHL, no need to suggest he's not meeting expectations. Treat us like adults, we'll do the same.

You are right , but if a fan don't know a player saying he is still in the AHL isn't a fan slamming a player . I view it more of a question . Just not worded that way . Nurse should have been in the AHL last year . Because of many injuries he was thrown to the wolves . I would not take offence if someone ask me last year his value seeing how he is in the AHL 3 years after he was drafted ( Even if they stated it ) As a NHL fan I don't care about AHL stats . How many players look great in the AHL and terrible in the NHL ? Then there players who look average at best in the AHL and great in the NHL . Different game , NHL is more structure and some players do much better in a structure system while some do better in a more open system .

Point is no one is slamming your prospect . He seems to be progressing nicely according to Dallas fans and he is a need prospect in a weak pool . I think that is all what needed to be said . Personally I would not have ask Dallas for a D of any kind as I see that as being a weak point on their team . Our D is much better this year but still needs work so I can relate . Best of luck . No since arguing but i get it as fan on HF makes offers and then get told no then start the bashing of said player .

Neatman

Mar 9, 2011
Anyone who thinks a top prospect who is succeeding in the AHL is equivalent to a top prospect who is succeeding in the NHL is terribly confused.

You can be as wonderful and magical as you want as a prospect, and it really doesn't matter until you put on your big boy skates and actually do something in the NHL.

How's that Rundblad doing?

DALLAS90

Aug 22, 2016
I can't wait til DAL gets Honka called up, we juss gotta use Nemeth & Oleksiak as trade bait to get things we need, then he'll be up

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
You are right , but if a fan don't know a player saying he is still in the AHL isn't a fan slamming a player . I view it more of a question . Just not worded that way . Nurse should have been in the AHL last year . Because of many injuries he was thrown to the wolves . I would not take offence if someone ask me last year his value seeing how he is in the AHL 3 years after he was drafted ( Even if they stated it ) As a NHL fan I don't care about AHL stats . How many players look great in the AHL and terrible in the NHL ? Then there players who look average at best in the AHL and great in the NHL . Different game , NHL is more structure and some players do much better in a structure system while some do better in a more open system .

Point is no one is slamming your prospect . He seems to be progressing nicely according to Dallas fans and he is a need prospect in a weak pool . I think that is all what needed to be said . Personally I would not have ask Dallas for a D of any kind as I see that as being a weak point on their team . Our D is much better this year but still needs work so I can relate . Best of luck . No since arguing but i get it as fan on HF makes offers and then get told no then start the bashing of said player .

It doesn't make sense that one person wrote both this
I notice that Honka is again starting in the AHL for the 3rd season in a row. However, he's put up some fine numbers there, and is very good on the PP and has a right-handed shot. All things the Oilers could use.

However, I have no idea how much the Dallas franchise value him. Has he been seen as a disappointment somehow? Are they just really taking their time with his development? Is he realistically available at all? What would the Stars be seeking in return for his services?

For the future, the following top-6 could be very nice for the Oilers.

Klefbom - Larsson
Sekera - Honka
Davidson - Benning

I might consider moving Nurse for him, if you need another young Dman coming back in a potential deal.

What's the knock on Honka? There must be a reason (or reasons) that he's starting in the AHL in what is basically his 21 year old season (which is still very young, mind you). But, as mentioned before, this is now 3 seasons in a row. Is his his smaller size really affecting his defensive play?

and this
Well, you're reading me entirely wrong, and you're being WAY too paranoid. I really don't know much about Honka. How would I, unless I either a) was a Dallas Stars fan, which I'm not; or b) followed the AHL a lot, which is where he's been playing for the past 2+ seasons, which again, I don't follow. So yeah, you're wrong. This was an honest inquiry, and I know almost nothing about Honka. That's the truth.

It doesn't add up, and the responses by the OP are super tiresome. Somebody who is legitimately interested has a bunch of resources, including the Stars board on this very website, to get the answers they seek.

Last edited by a moderator:

beepeearr

@beepeearr
Jan 11, 2006
Lake Worth
It doesn't make sense that one person wrote both this

and this

It doesn't add up, and the responses by the OP are super tiresome. Somebody who is legitimately interested has a bunch of resources, including the Stars board on this very website, to get the answers they seek.

Dude, you must not have been to the Stars board here for quite awhile, like since February of 2015.

So I can understand why he hasn't heard much about Honka, there aren't a whole lot of Stars fans posting here all that much.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Dude, you must not have been to the Stars board here for quite awhile, like since February of 2015.

So I can understand why he hasn't heard much about Honka, there aren't a whole lot of Stars fans posting here all that much.

One click on "forum jump" and one click on "Dallas Stars" and one click on the next page arrow and one click on a rankings thread reveals that 75% think Honka is #1 and he was #1 last year. 4 clicks.

Or you could click on "search" and check "thread titles only" and type "Honka" for the prospect board thread on him? You'd also find the last batch of team rankings for the Stars for HF by Mike Farkas, who has plenty of nice things to say about him.

No need to even leave HF to get the answers to these questions, but I assume you could find plenty of other sources of the same with basic search engine use.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad