Proposal: JT Miller to the Rangers for futures (proposal)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Considering the contract he would fetch a solid return. However, I’m not sure any NY fan wants JT for that price. His play was so inconsistent with us and Tampa. Now he’s upset in Van. Just too much risk if Van would really be looking for a roster player, prospect and 1st round pick.

When has he said he is upset in Van? Has he been pissed off about losing, sure, but that is not a bad thing. JT Miller has been an outstanding leader and player since day 1 in Vancouver.

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
Easy no for the Rangers. We need Schneider to eventually replace Trouba. Trouba has been great, but if Schneider can replace him, that saves us a lot of cap space. Other than that, too many assets for a player we already traded away once.
Trouba is signed for 5 more yrs. I don't think Schneider wants to wait that long. Also Rangers have Lunqvist.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
He’s 28….there’s zero reason to trade him. Rebuild the defense a different way but don’t touch Petey, Boeser, Miller, Horvat, Hog, Podkolzin, Garland. Trade Pearson, Motte etc at the deadline for picks and stay the course
And how do you proposed rebuilding the d without giving up any of our valuable assets? we need a first pairing and 2nd pairing RD. With everything on the table that is going to be a struggle to attain.

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
i think a 1st and Schneider is fair for Miller. where does schneider go for you? Trouba, Fox, Lund ...RD is pretty crowded
This is what I think too. If the Rangers see Miller as a fit, which they should, that is what the Canucks need back. And its not much considering Trouba and Fox play the right side and are locked up long term.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Trouba is signed for 5 more yrs. I don't think Schneider wants to wait that long. Also Rangers have Lunqvist.

Lundkvist is a completely different type of player. He can't play the same type of role as Trouba.

Trouba has 4 years left after this year. His NMC becomes a limited NTC in the 2024-25 season, so a trade become a lot more likely at that point.

Something may give before then. We may end up trading one of Schneider or Lundkvist, but most Rangers fans have speculated that it would be Lundkvist who goes, precisely because we don't have anyone else like Trouba/Schneider. For now, Schneider is in the AHL and Lundkvist is playing on the 3rd pair for the Rangers. We'll see what happens next year. It's possible we trade Zac Jones and have both Lundkvist and Schneider on the 3rd pair, with one of them playing their offside. It's a good problem to have.

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
Lundkvist is a completely different type of player. He can't play the same type of role as Trouba.

Trouba has 4 years left after this year. His NMC becomes a limited NTC in the 2024-25 season, so a trade become a lot more likely at that point.

Something may give before then. We may end up trading one of Schneider or Lundkvist, but most Rangers fans have speculated that it would be Lundkvist who goes, precisely because we don't have anyone else like Trouba/Schneider. For now, Schneider is in the AHL and Lundkvist is playing on the 3rd pair for the Rangers. We'll see what happens next year. It's possible we trade Zac Jones and have both Lundkvist and Schneider on the 3rd pair, with one of them playing their offside. It's a good problem to have.
I get all that. Schneider is a coveted asset. Precisely why you would have to give him up to get a PPG, beast in Miller. The thing is Schneider isn't much to pay considering the organizational depth and long term contracts at RD. If you want Miller it cost Schneider + because that is what Vancouver needs so that is what we'll be looking to get in a trade.

Its a good trade for each team in my opinion.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I get all that. Schneider is a coveted asset. Precisely why you would have to give him up to get a PPG, beast in Miller. The thing is Schneider isn't much to pay considering the organizational depth and long term contracts at RD. If you want Miller it cost Schneider + because that is what Vancouver needs so that is what we'll be looking to get in a trade.

Its a good trade for each team in my opinion.

Personally, I want nothing to do with Miller. That extra year on his contract makes things a lot more difficult for us.

Reactions: Daves a mess

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Because they don't know how to value players.
Miller goes to market to market and a deal like Schneider, Chytil, 2nd is the minimum value. Add retention and the 2nd is a 1st, add dbl retention and a 2nd gets added.
It doesn't matter if Rangers fans like it or not, but that is fair value. If the Rangers GM doesn't want to pay, feel free to go dumpster diving.

The Ranger fan doesn’t want to pay. That’s the whole point. A Ranger fan didn’t start this thread offering .50 on the dollar. It was a Canucks fan looking to hit an absolute grand slam. It’s the Ranger fans saying they’d rather pay less for a lesser target rather than gut the system of youth which the Rangers will need in the near future to manage the cap.

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
A first line player offered for 2.6 million per for 2 years...............and the Ranger fans say no

How long do you expect Panarin to play for? Your opportunity is now!

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
Drury didn't want to move Schneider for Eichel. Drury was a part of the 2018 deadline that booted JT Miller because management didn't like his character. Rangers are in talks with Strome to keep him with Panarin. That's all the cap space the Rangers have. Strome re-signed at $6M or so is going to mean Kakko will get a bridge deal instead of a long term deal. They have no money left with all the raises coming in. It'll be challenging just to fill the rest of the lineup with journeymen on $1.5M or less. They will need their ELCs.

Acquiring Miller means Strome is gone. Yes, Miller is better than Strome but Strome is a match made in heaven with Panarin and if he comes in at $6M we'll have him for 5 years or so to go along with Panarin. Why on Earth would Drury pay Schneider+Chytil/1st just to upgrade a near PPG Ryan Strome who is very important to the team to a Miller that might not fit in the room like in 2018?

Canucks fans are selling Miller like a car salesman.

Reactions: Daves a mess

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
If this team is a playoff contender next year, you can forget about a Miller trade unless a similar roster player is offered. Canucks wont rebuild again, trading Miller will hurt them more
Trading one player doesn't make it a rebuild. Chytil is a middle 6 c/w that will be a legit top 6 forward soon, maybe even top line player. Schneider is close to making it to the NHL. He would probably crack our atrocious defense and help us there.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Why would Detroit give you anything for Strome? Name a GM in a playoff position, or on the bubble, that ever says "Screw it, there's always next year"?
Name and owner that would accept that kind of mentality. Name a player that is ok with his GM saying "You're not good enough, let's try again in 3 years"

DET a Wing fan was warm to the idea of Strome now, pay later

The other point is driven by common sense
wasting a high pick/or 2
on a win now gamble is not as valuable as an asset that could help this young core win multiple times over its upcoming window

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
DET a Wing fan was warm to the idea of Strome now, pay later

The other point is driven by common sense
wasting a high pick/or 2
on a win now gamble is not as valuable as an asset that could help this young core win multiple times over its upcoming window

It is like the TDL never existed to you people................geesh!

Or the reason for it!

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
Drury didn't want to move Schneider for Eichel. Drury was a part of the 2018 deadline that booted JT Miller because management didn't like his character. Rangers are in talks with Strome to keep him with Panarin. That's all the cap space the Rangers have. Strome re-signed at $6M or so is going to mean Kakko will get a bridge deal instead of a long term deal. They have no money left with all the raises coming in. It'll be challenging just to fill the rest of the lineup with journeymen on $1.5M or less. They will need their ELCs.

Acquiring Miller means Strome is gone. Yes, Miller is better than Strome but Strome is a match made in heaven with Panarin and if he comes in at $6M we'll have him for 5 years or so to go along with Panarin. Why on Earth would Drury pay Schneider+Chytil/1st just to upgrade a near PPG Ryan Strome who is very important to the team to a Miller that might not fit in the room like in 2018?

Canucks fans are selling Miller like a car salesman.

As I said in my opening post, you can have both if you accept the original offer, of Miller at 1.3 million

You just don't get offers like that.............and if you were not ready to compete and full of young tradeable assets, you would not be getting this offer............take it as a compliment at the very least

And as some said earlier, maybe it includes a secondary player as well, in Motte?

It is not like we are not offering a deal, and you get a car with it!

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
The extra yr is the value. Guy is one of the best fwds in the whole league.

It's not the value to the Rangers, who have very little cap space next year. I'd much rather spend less on a rental, or target someone who is a better long-term fit. Miller has 1 more year then he's a UFA and will want even more money than he's making now, which we can't afford. If we are trading for someone with term, I want more than 1 year. And that's a move that is ideally made in the offseason. We need to get Kakko locked up before we think about adding another significant, long-term cap hit. We may need to make other moves to accommodate that new player, and we don't want to risk teams trying to poach Kakko via an offer sheet.

So, bottom line, look elsewhere. The Rangers aren't going to trade for Miller.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Nobody has answered where they see JT Miller playing in our line-up. Panarin and Strome are glued together. Zibanejad is the #1. Miller has the option of RW on Zibanejad's line or #3c. Do you see him getting over 20 minutes a game with NYR?

Because his even strength (5 on 5) numbers /60 need to be a lot better for him to maintain that production without 20 plus minutes a night. He' currently averaging more than any NYR for powerplay time on ice so NYR will need to move Strome off that 1st unit, which they have apparently been against doing. If you put Miller at the 3c to take advantage of his faceoffs, and on the #2 powerplay unit, or give him 17 total minutes a night, it's wasted assets to acquire him.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Nothing except why don't' we build a bit more and then have enough assets to dominate from a place of surplus and strength.

As opposed to those who gamble on win now -- foolishly.

If DET gives a 3rd this yr and a future 2nd for Strome, and also does us a favor by giving us a 6th for Hajek so we can create both roster and cap space, we should do THAT and promote Barron

Detroit does that favor for you.... why? We don't want or need Hajek. We don't really care to take Strome from you and be given the job of finding a trade offer (particularly since if you dropped his price from a sure 1st to a 3rd and a future 2nd, that doesn't say great things about what you think he's worth.

I love how everyone acts like Detroit wasn't the class of the league for 30 straight years like a decade ago. Detroit isn't some f***ing waste dump that you throw your trash to. I'd bet they win again before the Rangers do.

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
It's not the value to the Rangers, who have very little cap space next year. I'd much rather spend less on a rental, or target someone who is a better long-term fit. Miller has 1 more year then he's a UFA and will want even more money than he's making now, which we can't afford. If we are trading for someone with term, I want more than 1 year. And that's a move that is ideally made in the offseason. We need to get Kakko locked up before we think about adding another significant, long-term cap hit. We may need to make other moves to accommodate that new player, and we don't want to risk teams trying to poach Kakko via an offer sheet.

So, bottom line, look elsewhere. The Rangers aren't going to trade for Miller.
Well ya then you don't want him. But if you want a top player you have to give up top assets. Could also get rid of Strome and other contracts.

Heckler81

Oct 14, 2017
Well ya then you don't want him. But if you want a top player you have to give up top assets. Could also get rid of Strome and other contracts.

Usually a top trade deadline talent (upcoming FA) is a 1st round pick.

You are not trading a player like Schneider.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
It is like the TDL never existed to you people................geesh!

Or the reason for it!
complete non sequitur

Trouba is not going anywhere for 3 more years, and Schneider will be coming off his ELC and wanting a raise
trouba goes nowhere this season
he is gone for sure season after next, we control that
he decides if he will wait til the last minute
or go earlier in that last season
or help us out by exiting some pt next season

we can't force him
but we can provide indirect $$ incentives now for his wife's career
and also
post career incentives for him
to do us a solid and move sooner than later
including bending over backwards to see we send him to some place he likes

as opposed to he does us no favors
and when we control that he can be moved,
we ship his ass out with minimal regard to his preference

Detroit does that favor for you.... why? We don't want or need Hajek. We don't really care to take Strome from you and be given the job of finding a trade offer (particularly since if you dropped his price from a sure 1st to a 3rd and a future 2nd, that doesn't say great things about what you think he's worth.

I love how everyone acts like Detroit wasn't the class of the league for 30 straight years like a decade ago. Detroit isn't some f***ing waste dump that you throw your trash to. I'd bet they win again before the Rangers do.

1. no one is dissing DET
2. your 1st is too high, so that adjustment, which applies to Red Wings, is not across the board league wide
3. RS only being moved b'c of cap. Value of Strome today, without retention, full pop, is a 2nd w/signif + or a late 1st, coke and pepsi. Value with retention is ballpark 20OA somewhere around mid 1st w/small NY add.
4. One view, NY is doing a solid by taking later currency [risking DET will still be rebuilding, not a given] as opposed to something now. Hence taking Hajek off our hands for a low pick is not such a big deal.
5. Other vierw, GMs do stuff like this all the time. It is not a big deal.
6. While I agree that DET has emerging D picture, similar to NY but on reduced scale and timetable, I don't agree Hajek is useless to you as a depth stopgap in that picture.
He has the physical qualifications and experience.
NY has screwed him up and his reaction time is subpar.
On a cheap contract expiring, who you are not married to and can prob get for min on 2 way next season, he is a good buy low risk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad