Player Discussion Joshua Roy

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
They are just very different players. None of what Lekhonen does will make Roy successful, and the opposite is true.

Tyler Toffoli never stood out either, yet he scored goals at a fantastic rate.
Sure, but being slow and passive and not standing out does not make a guy Tyler Toffoli, feels like a bit of a jump. I’m not giving up on Roy.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I said before, and I will say it again... Roy is at best a 3rd liner, nothing more.
He’s not a traditional 3rd line type player. If it’s an offensive minded 3rd line… sure. But he’s a skilled player with high IQ, not a grinder.

If say we had Laine/Demidov eating up top six minutes and he got bumped to the 3rd with Newhook/Beck then sure. But it wouldn’t be your typical 3rd line. That would be a terrific 3rd line to have and a real sign that we have a lot of offensive depth.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

StCaufield

Mar 14, 2022
Anyone think that all of the gooning caused players to be more tentative to avoid injury? Not just Roy but several players that thought they were shoe ins? I don’t believe this really but it’s just a thought

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Too much floating in preseason. He bounced back from a setback in the Q, maybe they're banking on this being a wake up call.
Some posters mention how he always seems to be good, and then goes disinterested and then comes back and so on.............pretty sure that's part of why he went in the 5th round.....

Not everyone learns to be a pro right off the bat, there can be a process. You can see some offensive flair and talent, but there needs to be a lot more to his game..................he simply got outplayed by others and MSL had better choices.

Reactions: Paddyjack

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
... He's a bottom-2 forward. Which is perfectly fine since he knows it.

I think Pezzetta is at that point where he is touching his prime and can play anywhere in the bottom 6. I'm not the type to label players in a very small range (bottom 2 forward). He's a very solid hockey player IMO

Roy will not be a sure shot top 6F at age 21. Probably best he goes to the AHL and matures his game a bit more.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
I think Pezzetta is at that point where he is touching his prime and can play anywhere in the bottom 6. I'm not the type to label players in a very small range (bottom 2 forward). He's a very solid hockey player IMO

Roy will not be a sure shot top 6F at age 21. Probably best he goes to the AHL and matures his game a bit more.
Pezzetta and ABB are perfect bottom 6 who can be on the press galery, then play 4 minutes a game or play 12 minutes a game. It doesn't matter, it have nothing to do with their developpment. Roy, Heineman and Kapanen need to play. They can't warm bench too long. In a way, Roy in Laval can developp more than Heineman with limited ice time in Montreal.

At the end it's the law of the jungle: those who outperfrom others take the spot. But there are ups and downs, Roy have been down at that time. He might be high on another moment, we'll see.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Anyone think that all of the gooning caused players to be more tentative to avoid injury? Not just Roy but several players that thought they were shoe ins? I don’t believe this really but it’s just a thought
It was a strange preseason. It might’ve factored into team play. The whole club sucked in preseason.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Some posters mention how he always seems to be good, and then goes disinterested and then comes back and so on.............pretty sure that's part of why he went in the 5th round.....

Not everyone learns to be a pro right off the bat, there can be a process. You can see some offensive flair and talent, but there needs to be a lot more to his game..................he simply got outplayed by others and MSL had better choices.
I’m not sure that MSL had better choices. It may have just been a message that his camp wasn’t good enough. It’s a good message to send if you want to keep a young player sharp. He’s part of their long term plans and this is part of the learning curve.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
It was a strange preseason. It might’ve factored into team play. The whole club sucked in preseason.
The injury to Laine changed everything. The game plan, the hockey level was replaced by the fight code and it seems on a strict hockey level it disturbed the game itself. What is depressing is the PP still sucks and the PK too. It's not done for the season but let's say it doesn't look good.

On that matter, Roy being sendt down is secondary. He's better in Laval, in the big sheme, time will do good, for a lot of prospects and players.

On a side note, not many people talk about Newhook poor play in pre season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad