Prospect Info: Joshua Roy Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I think this is the best argument for keeping him down there. Playing with players that make you better is the best development there is.
But you inadvertently make a point against your own agument. By citing Roy as an example of what Farrell, Heineman, and Mailloux need to develop (an NHL level teammate in your opinion), you shine the light on what is wrong with the idea that good playerss need to play on the 5th-6th-7th lines to develop properly for an NHL role.

I would like to see Roy and Andersson at NHL level sometimes this season.
I would bring up Andersson if we have another forward that goes down. Let's see what he can do before having another waiver decision to make next year.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Roy went back to junior and played on the pk instead of aiming for another scoring title. He played solid D everywhere last year. Being a minus is probably more due to playing lots of minutes on a team that is not winning many games.

OK, but who thinks it means nothing that Logan Mailloux is -7 and Jayden Struble +6 in just 4 games?

I haven’t seen the rocket play this year, has anyone seen Roy getting constantly owned defensively or anything? He has to know he’s not going to get called up for playing D, but Houle doesn’t usually let rookies get away with playing single zone hockey.

Any takes or analysis on his play this year?

There are small adjustments needed in positioning and danger awareness. The kid wants to defend, he just needs to get better at doing it while not being the fleetest afoot.

His coach JF Houle did in fact call him out on it, in a nice way, by saying Roy needs to stay in Laval and work on certain things to become a true pro.

I'm sure the adjustments will come, and I see Roy as our very best winger prospect, even better than first rounder Mesar if he projects as a winger.

Reactions: dcyhabs

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Joshua Roy show his top 6 NHL potential so far in AHL. A Tyler Toffoli type of career from him, will be very good for Habs. So far, he show that he can become that type of player. Toffoli, smart, good shot, good hands, good hockey IQ and great two-way game aswell. I'm a big fan of Toffoli, so having that type of player in Habs system, that's a huge win.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
You have to bust down the doors as a rookie, it's just how it works. The Habs roster is as weak as it gets and Roy, being a rookie, couldn't secure his place out of training camp. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that -- he is earning another look with his performances in the AHL. As @NotProkofievian says, this is how it ought to work.

In the summer I said, based on a gut feeling, that Roy will be a positive factor for the Habs in the coming year. I have zero insight or prediction capacity but I felt like his performances in the Q weren't just the result of abusing bad Q defensive players. At the WJs he showed he could keep up with better ranked prospects. There's something there for sure. I think we're all eager to see him achieve better things.
I’m all for erring on the side of caution but honestly, there’s no way if he keeps this up (not over 2ppg but a consistent seeming dominance) he doesn’t get a call up. And I’d say the smart money would have him not losing that spot once he gets it.

If he struggles by all means send him back down but my gut tells me it won’t happen. 4 games is a tiny sample size but still that’s an absurd start. It all tracks with what we’ve seen from him.

He could just very well be a pretty special player

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
That last WJC really solidified my opinion regarding Roy. Besides all the points he scored, he was playing complete hockey that whole tournament. He was playing on the PK, on the PP, he was back checking, he was honestly everything you could want out of a top prospect and the hockey IQ was just so apparent. I mean, i'd be lying if I said I knew he's have this much success this early in the AHL, but I can't say i'm surprised either. Players like him, they just get the game. and make it seem easy.
I thought he’d do a ppg but yeah not this lol.

I don’t think he can just keep his ppg from the q and transition it to the AHL seamlessly can he? lol.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Joshua Roy show his top 6 NHL potential so far in AHL. A Tyler Toffoli type of career from him, will be very good for Habs. So far, he show that he can become that type of player. Toffoli, smart, good shot, good hands, good hockey IQ and great two-way game aswell. I'm a big fan of Toffoli, so having that type of player in Habs system, that's a huge win.
I honestly think he can be better. He has better tools imo.

HankyZetts

Twi2ted
Mar 16, 2004
Not a chance Roy stays down if he's at 2 ppg a few weeks from now. 20 games max at that rate or else you are risking sending a bad message to the guys, as well as potentially stunting his growth.

Reactions: Hins77

Sagikev

Chadstudsky
Sep 16, 2018
Not sure why people say there’s no opening in the Top 6 when half of them aren’t top 6 players. Bring him up to play first line and let him take a run at the Calder
Let him take a run at the calder next season, no rush in bringing him up!

Yeah like not playing armia. I saw gally scored but missed the game. Did a puck get caught in his jersey and someone shovelled him into the net?
I mean, he did end up in the net lol

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
A Toffoli-like career would not be so bad. 2 X 30 plus goals, 4 X 20 plus goals and 228 in 737 NHL games. Roy's linemates will have something to do with his final point totals.
Oh I like Toffoli plenty. If he ends up similar to him I’d be a bit disappointed but ultimately that’s a fantastic 5th rounder.

I just think Roy has better tools and upside. I would be fairly surprised if Toffoli ended up the better player.

Wateredgarden

Oct 10, 2020
I can see them having the same kind of trajectory poitnwise, even though i believe Roy will be better, Toffoli's game is based on being at the right place at the right time and a quick release. Roy will create way more plays by himself.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
But you inadvertently make a point against your own agument. By citing Roy as an example of what Farrell, Heineman, and Mailloux need to develop (an NHL level teammate in your opinion), you shine the light on what is wrong with the idea that good playerss need to play on the 5th-6th-7th lines to develop properly for an NHL role.

Just because Roy has high upside in NHL and that Farrell is currently benefiting from that in the AHL, that does not mean that developing in the AHL has no value. That is such a leap of logic, I almost tore up my ACL again.

I would say the same if it was prime Christian Thomas tearing the AHL up, and he was never considered an "NHL teammate". The point is, Roy is turning out to be a dominant AHL player and he benefits other young players down in Laval at the moment. Which IMO is the best argument for keeping him in Laval at this point.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Roy is turning out to be a dominant AHL player and he benefits other young players down in Laval at the moment. Which IMO is the best argument for keeping him in Laval at this point.
The best reason for Roy to be in the AHL is to learn as a player, not to semi-coach others.

Agree to disagree on the reason, but I do want him there to learn the things he needs to learn.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
The best reason for Roy to be in the AHL is to learn as a player, not to semi-coach others.

Agree to disagree on the reason, but I do want him there to learn the things he needs to learn.

That's a fair stance.

I just don't think he has much to learn in the AHL, besides overcoming eventual adversity and the hurdles of the schedule. But from a technical/ability standpoint, he should be in the NHL IMO.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
But it's not 4 games. Mailloux has been suspect defensively for years. The -7 just confirms that.

Struble looked like a solid 2-way guy later last year in Laval. The +6 just confirms that.

Variance doesn't go away just because you had prior beliefs about something. Your question was ''who thinks that Logan being -7 and Jayden Struble being +6 after 4 games means nothing?'' These aren't a magic 4 games that are meaningful where other 4 games aren't. 4 games either has meaning, or it doesn't. It doesn't because literally anything can happen in 4 games, anything at all, you name it.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Variance doesn't go away just because you had prior beliefs about something. Your question was ''who thinks that Logan being -7 and Jayden Struble being +6 after 4 games means nothing?'' These aren't a magic 4 games that are meaningful where other 4 games aren't. 4 games either has meaning, or it doesn't. It doesn't because literally anything can happen in 4 games, anything at all, you name it.
Sure, but the context matters. It doesn't mean nothing BECAUSE it is around the norm for these guys.

I don't say the same about Suzuki for example after 4 games.

It is unlikely that Suzuki still has no goals after 20 games, but it is highly likely Mailloux will still be a big minus. The variance from mean right now is bigger with Suzuki than Mailloux.

And watching Struble play you can see why he is rarely in trouble. Great instincts, which is ironic since the consensus knock on him, like on many African-American players, was his alleged low hockey IQ.

I see Struble as a better contributing bottom pairing D in the future than Barron and Harris.

Reactions: dcyhabs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad