Prospect Info: Joshua Roy Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Roy's strengths are obvious. As are his weaknesses. The AHL is the best for Roy right now. Like as of today. But, if he continues to produce like he has the first 5 games, calling him up here and there will be good for him as well. Let him see what the show looks like and what he needs to do to get there. His scoring ability and hockey sense seems top level. If he gets that skating up to par, he could be very special.

Reactions: Vachon23

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Roy's strengths are obvious. As are his weaknesses. The AHL is the best for Roy right now. Like as of today. But, if he continues to produce like he has the first 5 games, calling him up here and there will be good for him as well. Let him see what the show looks like and what he needs to do to get there. His scoring ability and hockey sense seems top level. If he gets that skating up to par, he could be very special.
When you have 11 points in 5 games and are still a minus in the +/- that means you are on the ice for a lot of goals against. Roy needs to work on defensive positioning and decision-making, and Houle has stated this.

I have no doubt Roy has the will to defend, but he needs to work on the HOW before getting exposed 10 times more in the show.

Last edited:

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
Spicy take, but is he the guy we’ve been looking for to complement the Suzuki line? Smart player with vision who can complement Suzuki and caufield and creates another shooting threat.

May be a spicy one but if we do have something there we’d have the making of something special in the top6

Caufield -Suzuki- Roy
Newhook- Dach- slaf

Is really starting to look like something that could work long term

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
When you have 11 points in 5 games and are still a minus in the +/- that means you are on the ice for a lot of goals against. Roy needs to work on defensive positioniung and decision-making, and Houle has stated this.

I have no doubt Roy has the will to defend, but he needs to work on the HOW before getting exposed 10 times more in the show.
Keeping him down in the A at this point is a must..........Could they bring him up in January? Maybe, but more than likely he should stay down for the year.
The confidence he will get from this, is huge.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
When you have 11 points in 5 games and are still a minus in the +/- that means you are on the ice for a lot of goals against. Roy needs to work on defensive positioniung and decision-making, and Houle has stated this.

Agreed… I can see why he would favour one side of the ice though, no ahl winger gets this much exposure by being positionally sound and a +2; scorers gotta score.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Koivu came in as a center behind Damphousse and Turgeon.

Correct, and he is not the last good 3C to ever play hockey. There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with young guys playing on a third line!!
Shutt came in on a team with Mahovlich x2, Lafleur, Henri Richard, Guy Lafleur, Serge Savard...

Shutt came in a LW behind Frank Mahovlich, Marc Tardif and was in a mix with a slew of other lesser talents such as Chuck Lefley, Murray Wilson, Randy Rota. Please don't cite centers, RWs and D for Price sake.

Shutt played on the fourth line to start and graduated to the third line with Henri Richard later in the year.

There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with young guys playing on a third line!!

Basically you're comparing Roy joining this year's team to guys joining contending/cup winning teams with very good top 6 players. Makes 0 sense
This isn't about Roy per se, but rather me challenging the statement that guys must be brought up into the role they are 'destined for'. That comment was not well thought through. In real life, it happens only rarely.

There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with young guys playing on a third line!!

Reactions: 1909

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Keeping him down in the A at this point is a must..........Could they bring him up in January? Maybe, but more than likely he should stay down for the year.
I agree with the conclusion, but confidence is not the reason. He does not lack confidence. He lacks situational awareness, in a league playing at higher speed than Junior, where he figured it out. A guy like Roy wth average skating at best NEEEDS to be positionally astute over 200 feet to not be a liability.

He'll get there, I have no doubt. Maybe even by Jan-Feb. If not, by end of year, I would think..

Reactions: BLONG7

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

Agreed. Kid is doing great. Getting ice time and scoring. As a rookie, I also fully expect him to have dry spells and poor performances but better to work through and figure those out at a lower level. When he turns those moments around, he’ll learn what it takes to continue progressing.

larek

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Roy just needs to be shown the correct D side of the game and made to play it - the more he does the more it will become second nature
Will he be a selke winner ?of course no
But he needs to improve that side
But at the end of the day offense is his game

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Roy just needs to be shown the correct D side of the game and made to play it - the more he does the more it will become second nature
Will he be a selke winner ?of course no
But he needs to improve that side
But at the end of the day offense is his game
All players his age need to make improvements in this area but he is very good defensively for his age and it will not be a problem. He was absolutely dominant last season defensively in the Q and at the WJC.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
All players his age need to make improvements in this area but he is very good defensively for his age and it will not be a problem. He was absolutely dominant last season defensively in the Q and at the WJC.
At the WJC I agree but in the Q, they are games that I needed to look the score sheet to be sure if he was playing because he was invisible and some other games, he look like by far the best player in the Q.

He needs to works on his constancy

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
At the WJC I agree but in the Q, they are games that I needed to look the score sheet to be sure if he was playing because he was invisible and some other games, he look like by far the best player in the Q.

He was very consistent all year imo at least as consistent as you can possibly expect a teenager to be.

Reactions: Gustave

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here

It's true but to make sure we can agree on what the purpose of the analysis is here: What he "was" defensively when he first came up from that ridiculous AAA team to now: Roy hadn't seen the inside of his own blueline probably since MAHG :laugh:. It 's a big improvement to say the least.

Work ethic, conditionning, Dplay, etc... He's now a hockey player or close to a more finished product , whereas he was a football offensive player prior. Consistancy will always be an issue for those types, I feel he's a sniper at heart but he's so good offensively that even his passing is elite. Like if MaxPac had that high IQ and play construction in him...

My point is that that type of player always "feel it going" when the play is offensively oriented. But the fact he improved on the other side of the game is very encouraging.

Reactions: Vachon23

larek

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
After looking at his stats - not too worried about him- Suzuki has been minus in every season as a hab
Roy had better plus minus in junior in fact great plus minus better than Suzuki
No prob with Roy

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
After looking at his stats - not too worried about him- Suzuki has been minus in every season as a hab
Roy had better plus minus in junior in fact great plus minus better than Suzuki
No prob with Roy
Suzuki has played vs the top lines in the league, with a weak D on the team, and no goalie the last 2-3 seasons....
The minus stat for Suzuki is not, just on him............zero support from the entire group when it comes to that stat line....

Reactions: viceroy and MasterD

Bourdon101

Jul 21, 2012
The Habs are not winning anything right now. Roy will develop in the AHL just as well as in the show. The only upside of calling him up is fan satisfaction. In the AHL, he is an elite weapon and improves the team's offensive potential, which can significantly help the development of other players down there like Mailloux and Farrell. Talent breeds talent.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Suzuki has played vs the top lines in the league, with a weak D on the team, and no goalie the last 2-3 seasons....
The minus stat for Suzuki is not, just on him............zero support from the entire group when it comes to that stat line....
Suzuki was one of the best defensive forward in the OHL. Although he is not dominant defensively in the NHL, he was hardly ever a defensive liability.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
The Habs are not winning anything right now. Roy will develop in the AHL just as well as in the show. The only upside of calling him up is fan satisfaction. In the AHL, he is an elite weapon and improves the team's offensive potential, which can significantly help the development of other players down there like Mailloux and Farrell. Talent breeds talent.

I think this is the best argument for keeping him down there. Playing with players that make you better is the best development there is.

larek

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Come on -zero support??
That's a bit much
And Roy had a better plus minus in junior
After looking at his stats I don't see a big problem

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Roy went back to junior and played on the pk instead of aiming for another scoring title. He played solid D everywhere last year. Being a minus is probably more due to playing lots of minutes on a team that is not winning many games.

I haven’t seen the rocket play this year, has anyone seen Roy getting constantly owned defensively or anything? He has to know he’s not going to get called up for playing D, but Houle doesn’t usually let rookies get away with playing single zone hockey.

Any takes or analysis on his play this year?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad