Value of: Josh Manson to the Leafs at the deadline

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
When TJ Brodie signed, we were just at the "heart" of COVID -- everyone was a little scared, and I don't think lockdown differences in Canada vs. the US really played a factor. He also would have had a ~2 year old at the time; so may have percieved Toronto as being "safer" than the States. He did of course site Toronto's constant pursuit of him as a reason he wanted to sign here.

Fast forward 2 years, and I think the general consensus is that playing / living in Canada sucks right now. Manson obviously hasn't wanted to go to Toronto for a long time, and this certainly isn't going to help... so even if Manson would be tempted to go because of the Leafs apparent constant pursuit (it's certainly been constant on these boards), lockdowns are certainly enough of a reason to say "no thanks".

this is possible but I mean you just said what Brodie actually said. And filled it with a lot of what he might have been thinking.

No one knows what he wants. You have no idea whether or not he hasn’t wanted to go to Toronto for a long time? He can’t trade himself?

JT purposely said he didn’t want to come here. Then he signed. Everyone said kessel wanted out and he signed. Stamkos was liking every Toronto tweet then he didn’t.

Thornton “didnt want the market” then we find out he was talking about it in Boston.

no one knows. Even Elliotte made a point of saying it might. Be bad info

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
It’s not that simple. There’s two different parts of winning a cup. Building a good team and maintaining a good team so you can get as many runs as possible. Yes you should be willing to spend to upgrade but no you shouldn’t just throw away assets on anything just for the sake of it.

Crosby/Malkin era Pittsburgh doesn’t have 3 cups because they “went for it” in three years, they have 3 cups because they were a competitive team for 15 years.

Yeah, and when it was time to spend assets they did. Reason why they won and are now more bare in the prospect cupboard. No team is trading being a winning team for having the most picks and best prospects. The Leafs are now past the window of keeping picks and prospects instead of improving holes in their roster. Buffalo has had a well stocked prospect and pick situation for awhile and we keep hearing the same, well this year is probably going to be the start of something and yet they are at the bottom again.

Reactions: Trojans86

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Do they really? So they HAVEN'T given up the 4th fewest goals in the NHL so far this year then? My bad, I thought I had read that they had, somewhere.

(Or had the 3rd best PK......or the 6th best GA per games played.......or 3rd most wins when leading after 1 period......)

In fairness, Campbell has been amazing this year, well above his normal save percentage. I think the Leafs are thin outside their top 2-3 guys for sure on the blueline, and what if Reilly or Muzzin are out long term? Playoffs are long and hard to get through, and having extra players is a must.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I could see Manson waiving, but only last minute.

I'd bet every NTC blocks Canadian teams right now. The COVID restrictions are way too concerning.

But, he'd like to play for that team and that market. So if no other major contenders are an option he would probably waive for the good of his career

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
TJ Brodie had Toronto on his no trade list too.

NTC's get waived all the time.

Players use their NTCs for different reasons. Sometimes players just don't want to be traded or want to maximize their control over the situation so they put their most likely trade destinations on their no trade lists, regardless of what their personal feelings are about those teams/markets. Sometimes players just want to avoid certain teams.

Given Brodie signed in Toronto, his situation was likely the former. For Manson, what's being reported is the latter.

Reactions: kevsh

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
the ducks are 3 points behind Vegas for first place and they just beat Tampa 5-1.
Which season are you referencing ?

i guess he meant last year 43 pts in 56 games, last in the west

keep him, everyone would love to have a guy like him, but not at the skyrocket prices which he would command

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I thought it was Kadri who had Calgary on his no trade list ?

He did, but supposedly after he blocked the trade TJ Brodie immediately put Toronto on his list.

It's one of the reasons I'm not convinced Manson couldn't be talked into waiving.

But if not? Oh well get someone else, Lindholm has no trade protection

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Not ragging on Toronto as a city, but it looks like it would be miserable during the winter (especially compared to So Cal). It is possible Manson also has them on the no-trade list because he's gotten used to the 60 degree winters, which might mean he'll waive for a few months and a playoff run after the snow storms have passed. It is purely speculation, but if it's just for a few months there's a higher chance he'll waive to go there.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Not ragging on Toronto as a city, but it looks like it would be miserable during the winter (especially compared to So Cal). It is possible Manson also has them on the no-trade list because he's gotten used to the 60 degree winters, which might mean he'll waive for a few months and a playoff run after the snow storms have passed. It is purely speculation, but if it's just for a few months there's a higher chance he'll waive to go there.

It gets nice in April and May so by the time the playoffs start we'd be past the cold weather

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

I'd bet every NTC blocks Canadian teams right now. The COVID restrictions are way too concerning.

But, he'd like to play for that team and that market. So if no other major contenders are an option he would probably waive for the good of his career

Yeah It fully believe Toronto is on his list but I also suspect he could be convinced to waive.

If not just get someone else, the market is flooded with D men.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
It gets nice in April and May so by the time the playoffs start we'd be past the cold weather

Exactly, that's what I mean. By the time the trade deadline hits, he only has to spend a few months there at most, and it's avoiding the rough winters. It probably makes it more likely if one of the primary reasons was the snow and cold. I have friends that have moved from even the bad parts of California (where we can actually get snow) to the mid-west and the only reason they can survive is because they work from home and hate going out/being around people (even in non-Covid times).

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Exactly, that's what I mean. By the time the trade deadline hits, he only has to spend a few months there at most, and it's avoiding the rough winters. It probably makes it more likely if one of the primary reasons was the snow and cold. I have friends that have moved from even the bad parts of California (where we can actually get snow) to the mid-west and the only reason they can survive is because they work from home and hate going out/being around people (even in non-Covid times).

Toronto may also eventually be appealing compared to the other places the ducks could trade him or threaten to trade him (who knows what the other options are, Winnipeg, Edmonton, and even NY might be unappealing for some).

Reactions: lwvs84

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014

I honestly don't even know why he'd have his panties in a bunch over that when at the very most he'd be here for 3 months. If I felt I had an opportunity to play for a cup contender and win, I wouldn't be concerned over my very short term living arrangements

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I honestly don't even know why he'd have his panties in a bunch over that when at the very most he'd be here for 3 months. If I felt I had an opportunity to play for a cup contender and win, I wouldn't be concerned over my very short term living arrangements
That's true but it is what is rumored about most player NTCs in general, and it is a concern when you have a family.

Also he may be in enough demand that he really can be that picky.

I actually wonder if the Ducks are a slam dunk to be sellers

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

No. They are in a pretty good dogfight with LA and Edmonton for the third spot in the Pacific... and those two teams, plus Dallas for the final Wild Card spot. So, unless they fall out of that fight, chances are they aren't sellers.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
That's true but it is what is rumored about most player NTCs in general, and it is a concern when you have a family.

Also he may be in enough demand that he really can be that picky.

They aren't a slam dunk to be sellers no, but they probably end up being sellers because there are a lot of teams with a lot of games in hand.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad