Value of: Josh Anderson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Anderson has value but I don't expect to see his true value to show up on HF boards.

Bad contract? NO. It's not bad or good. It's fair market value for a middle 6F who has size and can skate and provides value on the ice beyond points.

Habs fans need to stop posting him on these boards. There is no value in determining his true value cause fans are going to play the pump up and deflate games.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Josh Anderson: 17G, 6A in 57 games at age 28. $5.4 AAV for 4 more years.

Jesperi Kotkaniemi: 11G, 14A in 58 games at age 22. $4.82 AAV for 7 more years.

I’d argue that’s a more valid comparison of value than Jeannot as a minimum salary rental.

Age and timing of contracts is the difference. KK to me is not a good comparison to Anderson. One is a center who is trying to mature and the other is a power forward winger with skating and 20-25 goal threat where his style of play is well suited for the playoffs.

Will Jeannot get $5.5M? Doubt it. I believe he has 2 RFA years left and Tampa will sign him for 3 or 4 years around $4M (2 RFA and 1 UFA or 2 RFA and 2 UFA). Jeannot to me is comparable to Armia.

Habs are not going to move Anderson unless we get pry away value. We know what we have.

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
Why are people saying this guy has injury concerns??
He’s missed 3 games this year, 13 last year and 4 the prior year. So 20 missed games after a 56game season and a 82 game season and so far this year 60games. That’s a total of 20 missed games over 198 games…

Those missed games also include a handful due to COVID as well.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
All in 2024: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, prospect, plus a 6th defenseman.

In 2025: A 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th...

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Why are people saying this guy has injury concerns??
He’s missed 3 games this year, 13 last year and 4 the prior year. So 20 missed games after a 56game season and a 82 game season and so far this year 60games. That’s a total of 20 missed games over 198 games…

Those missed games also include a handful due to COVID as well.

Toffoli's value was rag dolled on HF boards and I don't expect Anderson's value to be different. Fans will reach at anything in attempts to devalue.

I've said it for a while now. Anderson will not be traded unless we get Toffoli trade value (late 1st and B+ prospect) or higher. Fans can laugh at this all they want. We don't care cause if there are no good trade offers, we are fine with him on our team.

Anderson and Hughes have talked about these trade rumors a few times now. The message Hughes told him is likely this... We are not shopping you but if we get an offer we can't refuse, we will consider it.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Chiarot didn’t have 4 more years at $5.5 million he wasn’t living up to.

4 more years in a growing cap at $5.5M for prime years. Age 29-32 years. For a player who has size, is physical, skates very well, and has a very good shot.

Stop trying to make this out like he is singed from 32-35 and is a declining asset.

I'd be open to retention down to $4M (or we take back a 1-2 year contract offsetting his AAV). Not because he sucks, but because we still have one more flat cap season to go. If that doesn't gain interest, we just wait for the cap to grow. Anderson is not going to digress in his prime bud.

$5.5mil/year for a guy whos scored over 40 points once is not really what I'd call acceptable.

His value is not points. It's 20-25 goal threat and a very big body that plays physical, skates very well and has a great shot. Frees up space for his line mates. If you don't know this, you really don't know anything about the player.

Lets not pretend that big physical boys that skates well and has a good shot is not a target in the NHL. Size don't matter anymore? Sure, you go look at your points

Ledge And Dairy

That’s exactly what other fans don’t understand. Part of the reason why we thought these players would get what they got is because GMs do overrate players like chiarot. That’s what we were banking on. No habs fan actually thought chiarots true value was a 1st. No chance! If we traded a 1st for chiarot , all of habs fans would have been pissed

But part of the reason why we said these players would get what they got is because there are idiot GMs out there.

Scott Wheeler had him at like 45…not like he’s this slam dunk top 20 prospect.
Wheeler has him ranked at 42*

I'm not calling him perennial superstar or A++ prospect by any means but top 50 is still at least A- level. Wheeler has Farrell at only 1 spot above him and Habs fans are over the moon with him right now. In THW's top 100 list Knies is ranked 26th

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I don't agree. Those players are still prospects until they play a full season with us. If they are permanent roster players by start of next year then sure. But they can just as easily still go down a level based on their play at any given moment.

Just because those players played some games with us or even half a season, does not make them no longer prospects.

So yea, about 10th is about right. Decent B+ player.
Wrong. If you think you have more knowledge then the guys that are being paid to do these ranking why aren't you working for TSN or some other hockey related group of reporters.
So those who are saying Josh Anderson "sucks" are way off. There are two reasons and two reasons only why a team wouldn't be all over him. One is the salary and two is the health concerns. For the health concerns, he has been somewhat healthy this year and is on pace to play the most games he has since 2018-2019. For the salary, he is more than likely a little overpaid, but at the same time, if he'd played full seasons, his stats would look much better.

In 178 GP with the Habs, he has 53 goals which over an 82 game schedule, would be about 24.5 goals per season. This season, if he remains healthy, he should easily hit the 20 goal mark again. With his size and speed there are not too many players like him him in the NHL.

I'm personally on the fence about trading him, but if Montreal retained 1.5 million, I would say there would be huge interest for Josh Anderson at 4 million per year. For those who are complaining about his age, he's 28. His contract will end when he's 32, not when he's 36 or 37. I get that a player like him doesn't normally have the longevity that another type player would, but don't exaggerate.

I won't get into details about what I think he's worth, but he definitely has value around the NHL.
I think it is more his contract sucks base on the length, Anderson history of injuries( earlier in his career) and the way he plays doesn't lead to a long career. I wouldn't trade for Anderson with out retention. The question is how much do teams need Montreal to retain. 50% seems like the number that is thrown around and why would Montreal do that? They basically get 2.75 million in cap space then they have to replace Anderson. They can not replace what Anderson brings for that. I have in the past said 50% retained in Anderson to Edmonton trades not because of Anderson play but base on Edmontons cap situation and the wear on his body and his pass injuries. If Edmonton had the cap space I would do 2 2nd + a B prospect for Anderson with 1.5M retain . I would fully expect Montreal to decline base the risk and the length of the contract which is also the same reason other teams fans don't want to take on the full contract.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bluenotes27

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
toronto wasnt willing to put knies up for meier

but anderson, oh make it rain daddy
With the picks traded for ROR , Toronto didn't have the assets to get Meier. Muk is just as good a prospect as Knies and they added a ton of assets ont top of that.

Wrong. If you think you have more knowledge then the guys that are being paid to do these ranking why aren't you working for TSN or some other hockey related group of reporters.

I think it is more his contract sucks base on the length, Anderson history of injuries( earlier in his career) and the way he plays doesn't lead to a long career. I wouldn't trade for Anderson with out retention. The question is how much do teams need Montreal to retain. 50% seems like the number that is thrown around and why would Montreal do that? They basically get 2.75 million in cap space then they have to replace Anderson. They can not replace what Anderson brings for that. I have in the past said 50% retained in Anderson to Edmonton trades not because of Anderson play but base on Edmontons cap situation and the wear on his body and his pass injuries. If Edmonton had the cap space I would do 2 2nd + a B prospect for Anderson with 1.5M retain . I would fully expect Montreal to decline base the risk and the length of the contract which is also the same reason other teams fans don't want to take on the full contract.
Anderson at 50% is a very valuable asset. He might be a tad overpaid now, but getting him at 2.75 for a few extra years is an absolute steal.

Of course you would do 2x2nd with 1.5M retained.... that's not good value for us.

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
LOL.

Anderson 3 years older and earning $5.5m a year v Jeannot who recently come off a 20+ goal season making basically league minimum and will get about $2m/$3m if Tampa re-signs him.

The fact you think Habs would get same return is really funny.

4 more years in a growing cap at $5.5M for prime years. Age 29-32 years. For a player who has size, is physical, skates very well, and has a very good shot.

Stop trying to make this out like he is singed from 32-35 and is a declining asset.

I'd be open to retention down to $4M (or we take back a 1-2 year contract offsetting his AAV). Not because he sucks, but because we still have one more flat cap season to go. If that doesn't gain interest, we just wait for the cap to grow. Anderson is not going to digress in his prime bud.

His value is not points. It's 20-25 goal threat and a very big body that plays physical, skates very well and has a great shot. Frees up space for his line mates. If you don't know this, you really don't know anything about the player.

Lets not pretend that big physical boys that skates well and has a good shot is not a target in the NHL. Size don't matter anymore? Sure, you go look at your points
Thats not worth $5.5m

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Thats not worth $5.5m

It's not worth $3M or less either. Truth is in the middle. Personally, I really don't care what fans on HF boards say about Anderson. GM's are indeed calling the Habs about Anderson but our price is high. We like him so it will take pry away offers. Low % that happens? Sure, we are happy to keep him for his prime.

If the Habs are really serious about moving him, we can retain down to $4M and that gains interests. This is about cap space issues more than Anderson sucks.

For the record, There was some credible reports that said a 1st was offered for Anderson and Gorton/Hughes declined.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
That is less than Jeannot got. And it still seems bad for Toronto.
Depends on how you rate Knies.... I decided to see him as a 1st round equivalent since he is highly rated, 1st+2nd is what Jeannot got, plus a kid who isn't doing much and lower picks of limited value overall.

We will see what happens.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Anderson's value is going to vary depending on the team. He's a big, fast, capable forward that doesn't slow down in the playoffs.

It's easy to compare his 5.5m to Jeannot's >1.0m, but that's a 2 month comparable. Jeannot will sign for a lot more this summer. Using Nick Paul's contract makes sense. Jeannot won't sign for 5.5 for two reasons. One, imo, he's not as good. Two, it's Tampa. Florida's tax situation means they can sign players for less than northern markets.

There's no real incentive for Montreal to move him. So a team that wants him will have to pay. With no incentive to move him, Montreal won't be inclined to retain. Maybe a 2023 expiring contract to offset this year's cap, but going forward I doubt it very much.

I get that the Jeannot trade return brings this up, but it could easily have been tagged on the end of one of the numerous Anderson value threads.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
With Jeannot returning a boatload, what could Habs get for Josh Anderson? He's got 17 goals in 57 games. He's big and fast, hard to play against in playoffs.

A similar player locked up long term Anderson would have higher value. Habs could take contract back as have 20 million coming off their cap this summer.
What Jeannot got has zero impact on what Anderson would return. The return is what someone is willing to pay. Tampa obviously identified Jeannot as someone they would overpay for, why?

He has a cheap cap hit that they can fit in this year
He was great last year but is having a really off year this year. (they think he can return to form)
They think they can either sign him LT at a decent and manageable cap hit, if not he is a RFA with arbitration. He won't get much in arbitration as his current year has been brutal and he has only one good year.

While ultimately the players may be similar, the contract status and potential future payout isn't. Tampa's management isn't stupid, they overpaid for a reason. Jeannot provides a unique opportunity for them to get a unique player at a great $$ this year and probably for the next few couple of years.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Try again. And this is also exactly why comparing the value of Anderson to Jeanot is completely delusional behavior. Andersons contract is AWFUL for what he provides.

Jeannot is not Anderson and Anderson is not Jeannot. You're trying to tie them together too much. Jeannot has 0 playoff goals. Doesn't skate as well as Anderson.

Anderson's contract is not bad or good. Slightly overpaid perhaps? Sure but you're trying to double down on that.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
With the picks traded for ROR , Toronto didn't have the assets to get Meier. Muk is just as good a prospect as Knies and they added a ton of assets ont top of that.

Anderson at 50% is a very valuable asset. He might be a tad overpaid now, but getting him at 2.75 for a few extra years is an absolute steal.

Of course you would do 2x2nd with 1.5M retained.... that's not good value for us.
Context matters. Read the whole post rather then picking 1 sentence.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
What does Anderson have to do to live up to his contract?

Produce to what Hyman is doing which would mean it's a value contract then. What we see here is when it's not a value contract, it's a horrible one type narrative. Some fans can't comprehend middle ground well.

Anderson is a rare big boy with size who skates very well and has a great shot. Plays physical. But fans are going to ignore that part and look at his points and not his 20-25 goal threat. Try to tie him to Jeannot who is younger and less proven. I remember when Devils fans said Miles Wood was just as good :laugh:

All the Habs need to do is retain down to $4M and it gains a lot of interest. Slightly overpaid in a flat cap but not so much when the cap rises. If the Habs are willing to retain down to $4M, we get our asking price. However, what would be the point? We like Anderson and the players on the team like him. What's the rush in trading him? He's going to decline in his prime years with a growing cap? :huh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad