Value of: Josh Anderson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
Ghule, Xhekaj, Barron and Slafkovsky are players, not prospects.

Beck, Roy and Mailloux are the difference then - you rate them ahead of Knies, The Athletic staff doesn't (Beck is close at #50, and Mesar and Roy get honorable mentions....)
I don't agree. Those players are still prospects until they play a full season with us. If they are permanent roster players by start of next year then sure. But they can just as easily still go down a level based on their play at any given moment.

Just because those players played some games with us or even half a season, does not make them no longer prospects.

So yea, about 10th is about right. Decent B+ player.

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
Josh Anderson is worth nothing based on his current deal and play.
This thread's entire TLDR should be this comment right here.

Montreal's likely not going to retain on Anderson's deal because there's 4 years left.

There are no contenders that will likely take on a top nine winger (who's best days are behind him) for 4 more years at 5.5M.

No team with cap space is going to want to add this type of player at his contract.

Current value should be zero or close to zero.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
With Jeannot returning a boatload, what could Habs get for Josh Anderson? He's got 17 goals in 57 games. He's big and fast, hard to play against in playoffs.

Double retain on Anderson and I could see a team paying a couple late 1sts for him.
:popcorn:

This is another way of saying "coveted player / bad contract".

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
Josh Anderson is worth nothing based on his current deal and play.
That's funny because our Gm on record said he had turned down a 1st for him already. Based on what Tampa gave up , glad he did decline.

Wether you like it or not, GM's value Anderson's fighting, hitting, speed, and consistent 20 goals a year average. His contract is perhaps 1 million over paid. Big deal. What players isn't these days. Most are.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
That's funny because our Gm on record said he had turned down a 1st for him already. Based on what Tampa gave up , glad he did decline.

Wether you like it or not, GM's value Anderson's fighting, hitting, speed, and consistent 20 goals a year average. His contract is perhaps 1 million over paid. Big deal. What players isn't these days. Most are.
He isn't a consistent 20 goal scorer. He has hit 20 goals once in his career, 5 years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Unless there is retention Anderson holds zero value to contenders at the deadline. In the offseason with more teams and cap space availible I could see a 1st and decent prospect from a team trying to take the next step and make the playoffs.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Anderson isn’t overpaid. He’s a 20 goal guy that also brings speed, physicality, and size. If he was a 30 goal guy, he’d be getting 7-8M AAV. HF calls anyone with term who isn’t a franchise player worthless because of the cap lately. It’s ridiculous. Almost every deal we’ve seen involves retention; this would be no exception. If a team wants/likes a player, they’ll move things around and negotiate retention to get a deal done.

• Haha
Reactions: Bluenotes27

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
Anderson isn’t overpaid. He’s a 20 goal guy that also brings speed, physicality, and size. If he was a 30 goal guy, he’d be getting 7-8M AAV. HF calls anyone with term who isn’t a franchise player worthless because of the cap lately. It’s ridiculous. Almost every deal we’ve seen involves retention; this would be no exception. If a team wants/likes a player, they’ll move things around and negotiate retention to get a deal done.
Retention on 4y x 5,5m sounds like a very bad idea for Montreal. You can only have 3 retentions and nobody wants to use it for long-term contracts.

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
Can’t wait until Montreal fans can once again stick it to other teams fans about being right about their players value.
Other fans will deny, but Montreal fans were right about :
1) Chiarot getting a 1st
2) Toffoli getting a 1st +
3) Kulak getting a 2nd
4) Lehkonen getting the equivalent of a 1st

We were bang on for all 4 whereas other fans said no chance. Time will tell on Anderson.

Shocker

Dec 20, 2019
Can’t wait until Montreal fans can once again stick it to other teams fans about being right about their players value.
Other fans will deny, but Montreal fans were right about :
1) Chiarot getting a 1st
2) Toffoli getting a 1st +
3) Kulak getting a 2nd
4) Lehkonen getting the equivalent of a 1st

We were bang on for all 4 whereas other fans said no chance. Time will tell on Anderson.
When you overestimate trade values all the time, some of them will eventually hit, there's plenty of idiot GM's in the league.

Ledge And Dairy

I expect Anderson to bring in a silimair return regardless of what the posters think on here. GM'S PAY A PREMIUM for these rare type of players.

Knies is a B+ prospect and a 2nd is pretty much a 3rd on the Leafs I think we can do better than that for Anderson.
Knies a B+ prospect? Find me one list that ranks him outside the top 50 prospects.

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
When you overestimate trade values all the time, some of them will eventually hit, there's plenty of idiot GM's in the league.
That’s exactly what other fans don’t understand. Part of the reason why we thought these players would get what they got is because GMs do overrate players like chiarot. That’s what we were banking on. No habs fan actually thought chiarots true value was a 1st. No chance! If we traded a 1st for chiarot , all of habs fans would have been pissed

But part of the reason why we said these players would get what they got is because there are idiot GMs out there.

Knies a B+ prospect? Find me one list that ranks him outside the top 50 prospects.
Scott Wheeler had him at like 45…not like he’s this slam dunk top 20 prospect.

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
This thread's entire TLDR should be this comment right here.

Montreal's likely not going to retain on Anderson's deal because there's 4 years left.

There are no contenders that will likely take on a top nine winger (who's best days are behind him) for 4 more years at 5.5M.

No team with cap space is going to want to add this type of player at his contract.

Current value should be zero or close to zero.
Had this same argument in the Garland thread. Middle 6 wingers making around 5 million with multiple years left on their deal have zero value after 3 years of the flat cap. Going to take a while of the cap going up by 4-5 million at a time before they start to have value.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Id more compare the value to that of nino. The extra years make gms nervous when they dont know how fast the cap will go up. If we were fixing to see the cap jump by 5-6 million, sure hed have more value but right now with 1 million raises year after year.... i just dont see there being a huge market.

slybel

Jan 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
4 more years at 5.5 ... yeah... we are not trading him! unless it's 50% retained for... what? 2nd?

no way habs pay 50% for 4 years.

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
He isn't a consistent 20 goal scorer. He has hit 20 goals once in his career, 5 years ago.

It is so funny reading delusional Montreal fans thinking he can return a 1st round pick or other players of value. Keep it up. It makes me laugh.
Stop with your BS. Players of his ILK get 1sts all day long. Get real. Please spew your non sense elsewhere. Chiarot got a 1st..

EVGENNII DADONOV GOT A FORMER FIRST!

• Haha
Reactions: thefutures

United35

Jan 16, 2021
With Jeannot returning a boatload, what could Habs get for Josh Anderson? He's got 17 goals in 57 games. He's big and fast, hard to play against in playoffs.

A similar player locked up long term Anderson would have higher value. Habs could take contract back as have 20 million coming off their cap this summer.
I don’t think Anderson’s contract is that bad at all. He provides a pretty diverse set of skills. If he hit the UFA market this summer he’d likely make the same if not more again.

The Jeannot return looks like Brisebois got played by the Preds and potentially an eastern conference rival. Looks like FOMO was the deciding factor in the return to the Preds.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
So those who are saying Josh Anderson "sucks" are way off. There are two reasons and two reasons only why a team wouldn't be all over him. One is the salary and two is the health concerns. For the health concerns, he has been somewhat healthy this year and is on pace to play the most games he has since 2018-2019. For the salary, he is more than likely a little overpaid, but at the same time, if he'd played full seasons, his stats would look much better.

In 178 GP with the Habs, he has 53 goals which over an 82 game schedule, would be about 24.5 goals per season. This season, if he remains healthy, he should easily hit the 20 goal mark again. With his size and speed there are not too many players like him him in the NHL.

I'm personally on the fence about trading him, but if Montreal retained 1.5 million, I would say there would be huge interest for Josh Anderson at 4 million per year. For those who are complaining about his age, he's 28. His contract will end when he's 32, not when he's 36 or 37. I get that a player like him doesn't normally have the longevity that another type player would, but don't exaggerate.

I won't get into details about what I think he's worth, but he definitely has value around the NHL.

Reactions: loadie

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Stop with your BS. Players of his ILK get 1sts all day long. Get real. Please spew your non sense elsewhere. Chiarot got a 1st..

Chiarot didn’t have 4 more years at $5.5 million he wasn’t living up to.

EVGENNII DADONOV GOT A FORMER FIRST!

I’m going to pretend, for your sake, this isn’t serious, mainly because of the optics.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Josh Anderson: 17G, 6A in 57 games at age 28. $5.4 AAV for 4 more years.

Jesperi Kotkaniemi: 11G, 14A in 58 games at age 22. $4.82 AAV for 7 more years.

I’d argue that’s a more valid comparison of value than Jeannot as a minimum salary rental. Although Kotkaniemi is much younger and plays the position of greater need league wide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad