Value of: Jonathan Toews w/ no salary retention

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
He is not moveable with his cap hit. No contender has 10 million in cap space

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
what I’m saying is what team out there can

1 take on full salary
2 he won’t block going there because it’s a playoff team.

many of the teams with cap space likely won’t have it next year
As I said in a previous post. I can’t imagine a way he is traded without retention. I believe it to be a nonstarter in getting him moved. Add in his NMC and it’s damn near an impossibility. He’s most likely a Hawk till next years deadline would be my guess.

PostBradMalone

Mar 19, 2022
Double retention would make him attractive but that’s about it. I would still welcome him on the Oilers to play in the 3C spot and hope he and Keith can turn back the clock come playoff time. Wouldn’t trade a ton for the privilege though.

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
I think he could be traded to the Seattle Kraken which is where I see him going with no retention on Chicago's end. Would be a good leader if Giordano is traded, but the other thing too is Toews wants to win. But also, doubt he waives unless it's a contender or Winnipeg, or a team does it if they take on his whole contract.

Say Seattle, I'd imagine a 2nd comes with him and going to Chicago would likely be Mason Appleton or Ryan Donato. Or maybe a 1-for-1 of Toews for Grubauer.
No contender can afford him even at 50% retention. If he wants to win his best bet is to go to a bottom team, have a decent year and then get traded to a contender at the deadline. Would still require retention though, maybe even double retention.

Reactions: DudeWhereIsMakar

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
You missed the part where Team C gives up an asset for Toews @ 25%. So unless you think that asset is worse than what it would take for Melnyk to save some pennies.. then your reply has no logic behind it.
Chicago “gives up decent prospect”
Chicago gets “whatever team C wants to give up for Toews”

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I think his value would be limited, and Chicago would have to accept taking a contract in return. Maybe one for a lesser AAV but for more years, etc.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
With no salary retention the Blackhawks would have to give a first and probably more to move a 3C on the back end of his career making 10+ mil.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Tough times in Chicago. Kane is the guy everyone will want, Toew can lead the rebuild.

You need a scenario where someone thinks he's the final piece which are hard circumstances to imagine.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
And Chicago doesn’t need to do that.
The insinuation is clearly Chicago gets the lesser prospect than they give. They are not in a cap crunch and won’t be in the playoff mix.
There is no reason to move an asset to get rid of him.
If a team WANTS him they can get him @50% retained for a 5th round pick but the Hawks are better served just waiting out the year than they are giving an asset to move him.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Chicago is not adding to move him. He has a year left at a cap hit that doesn’t hurt them.
Yes but Toews cap hit is hurtful to more than half the teams in the league, including the Jets. Chicago is either paying to dump it or eating 50%.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad