Value of: Jonathan Toews w/ no salary retention

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017
The only way he is moved is at the deadline next year with another team retaining on it as well. He's just not worth his contract, sorry.

Reactions: Taylorst

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
Was just thinking along this line… only with SEA instead of OTT as the intermediary and WPG as the final destination. If Copp and Statsny get moved at the TDL.
Toews is from WPG and Chevy and he have history.
Not saying I want it to happen, but I could see it happening
Honestly toews needs to go his comments and lack of production is toxic for both parties...

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
I agree to some degree in your statement, toews only moves if he waives his ntc , however if he becomes to toxic I could easily see Chicago make a bigger effort to move him ... his comments today seem very negative and not something that needed to be aired out to the public....
New GM, New era. If he actually becomes “toxic” send him home or to Rockford.
I don’t think Davidson would want to impact Toews legacy it I bet he won’t let him hinder the rebuild which involves a certain level of buy in from veterans.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
I can not contemplate a trade for him without retention unless Chicago were sending picks with him and taking back salary. So since they are rebuilding why would retention be out of the question? Retain to move him for at least a future asset instead of paying to move him and then taking on salary.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I can not contemplate a trade for him without retention unless Chicago were sending picks with him and taking back salary. So since they are rebuilding why would retention be out of the question? Retain to move him for at least a future asset instead of paying to move him and then taking on salary.

The only home in not getting dumps back is trading him to say Arizona who needs the salary next year. Chicago is not getting any real assets for him.

What team can even take on his salary this yr and next yr and be a cup contendor?

Tasteslikekevinbacon

Oct 26, 2013
Ontario, canada
398.jpg

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
After his bonus is paid out...

To Ottawa:
50% of Toews's cap (5.250)
Sweetener from Chicago (Decent prospect?)

To Chicago:
Other 50% of Toews's cap (2.625)
Michael Del Zotto (Burried cap hit is 0.875)
Whatever team C gives up for Toews

To Team C:
Toews at 2.625

Ottawa saves 0.800 in real dollars, while taking on 4.375 in cap space
Chicago saves 7.000 in cap space
Team 3 gets Toews at a reasonable cap hit

I see him going to Winnipeg.
Considering he’s a WPG boy and he has history with Chevy, I can see the Jets actually being a landing spot for Toews… unfortunately

CHI sends: Toews, 50% retained, (5,250,000), + ‘22 2nd to OTT
CHI gets: Vesalainen, Del Zotto

OTT sends Toews, 50% retained, (2,625,000) to WPG, Del Zotto, (2m) to CHI
OTT gets: ‘22 2nd CHI, ‘22 3rd CBJ

WPG sends: Vesalainen to CHI, ‘22 3rd CBJ to OTT
WPG Gets: Toews (2,625,000)

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
He'd be hard if not impossible to move at full cap hit but the people saying he couldn't be traded for 50% are nuts. His actual dollars would be less than 3.5M after retention, I can easily see a non cap team who needs a middle 6 centre picking him up for that salary. If nothing else that team could then retain again next year and move him as a rental at 2.6M cap hit. This would be a no brainer for Seattle but Francis hasn't exactly been predictable so far.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
New GM, New era. If he actually becomes “toxic” send him home or to Rockford.
I don’t think Davidson would want to impact Toews legacy it I bet he won’t let him hinder the rebuild which involves a certain level of buy in from veterans.
Imo as observing toews he has been coddled far to long , I get that he is the captain and 3 cups but there comes a point where he either accepts chicago is moving on and would love for him to be apart of helping the new kids or waive his nmc and be traded. He controls his contract so either except it or ask for a trade it's really that simple..

Reactions: Space umpire

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Toews at half the cap hit could be a high end #3C on a contender.

I disagree with this, though I suppose you can find a "contender" with a 3C earning $5M+. That player is most likely either: (i) massively overpaid; and/or (ii) at the tale end of a bad contract, like Toews. So that would not be by choice other than perhaps a unicorn situation (like Toronto or Edmonton) where, as it turns out, the rosters and allocation of $$ are poorly balanced..

I don't think you'll find a single team (contender or not) looking to to add a 3C earning $5M+. Not one. And most contenders won't have the cap space even if they wanted to add Toews.

And at this point, is Toews a "high end" 3c? Not sure about that either, though I haven't seen him play all that much recently.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Toews at $10.5 has negative value.

Toews with 50% retained as a middle 6 center could be a really good fit depending on the team. Some scenarios that could be fun:

Boston moves something like Ullmark, Debrusk, Forbort, and a pick for Toews and Fleury each with 50% retained.

Winnipeg finally realizes their leadership is garbage. They trade Wheeler and Scheifele to a different team, make Dubois the 1C and then make a move for Toews. They could actually afford him at full cap hit depending on the returns for the other two. But I can't see Toews co-existing with that current leadership in Winnipeg.

Colorado could make some sense as well. They've got a whole 2nd line to sign, he'd be a nice 2C there with some cup experience at 50%.

Calgary, Toews @ 50% for Monahan?

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Can't see it as possible without retention unless an equally awful contact is going back to Chicago.

IMHO Toews could bounce back 50+ point form next year, at 50% he's worth taking a gamble on if he's motivated (on a good playoff team).

Toews (50%) for another teams cap dump would bring back assets for Chicago.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
After his bonus is paid out...

To Ottawa:
50% of Toews's cap (5.250)
Sweetener from Chicago (Decent prospect?)

To Chicago:
Other 50% of Toews's cap (2.625)
Michael Del Zotto (Burried cap hit is 0.875)
Whatever team C gives up for Toews

To Team C:
Toews at 2.625

Ottawa saves 0.800 in real dollars, while taking on 4.375 in cap space
Chicago saves 7.000 in cap space
Team 3 gets Toews at a reasonable cap hit
Zero reason for Chicago to move a prospect out, retain and end up with garbage back. They can just ride the contract out. Which they likely will.

Reactions: Taylorst

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad